• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you guys find out your measurments>

hansonho

Reaction score
How do you guys find out your measurments? Like for shirts and pants? I have no idea what mine are and how to find out. Do I just go to a tailor and ask them to measure me?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could do that, or you could just buy a cloth tape and take them yourself.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
measuring-tape-v2.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or go to any clothing store and ask them to measure you...

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
^ Do I act like I am interested in them actually selling something to me, or do they not mind just measuring me up and me saying kthxbai?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tell them that you need some new shirts and have lost some weight and need to be measured. After they measure...tell them that you will paruse a bit. Then..Exit stage left! Done.

UFN

Reaction score
I have measured some of my own clothes that I think fit well. That gives me a range of measurements for e.g. sport coats that I think work well for me. Based on this, I also got a bit wiser as to why I prefer the look of certain suits/jackets over others - the differences in measurements explain quite a lot.

/U.

skyman

Reaction score
Go to a good suit store. If you don't actually want a suit, just pretend all interested, act dumb about anything to do with tayloring and the salesmen will usually measure you up properly as a matter of course. Then say well thanks alot but im not sure you have what I want and leave, as you put it, kthanxbye.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Go to the store

2 ) Pick out the prettiest girl

3) Ask for help.

Worse ways to do it.

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I will go and actually get one made to measure shirt anywhere here since I am stuck in here (in Dubai) for a couple of days anyways, thanks to the volcanic ashes spread over the sky.
ffffuuuu.gif

All measurements are the same though right? So no two tailors will be looking for different things i.e. putting a finger between the tape for neck etc. ?

Doctor

Reaction score
I went to my mum's (or mom's for you Americans) place, grabbed the measuring tape out of her draw and said "hey mum(mom), can you please measure me?"

Done.

Don't forget a pen to write it all down.

And maybe a box if she's a lot shorter than you are, as in my case.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dw3610wm
Yeah, I think I will go and actually get one made to measure shirt anywhere here since I am stuck in here (in Dubai) for a couple of days anyways, thanks to the volcanic ashes spread over the sky.
ffffuuuu.gif

All measurements are the same though right? So no two tailors will be looking for different things i.e. putting a finger between the tape for neck etc. ?

Left! Not all shirts/pants/etc are cut the same. NEVER take a pair of pants to a tailor and say, shorten to 32". I always take a pair of shoes that I will wear and get fitted/measured correctly. Different brands are cut differently. Shirts are also cut differently. Ralph Lauren and T Pink fit me well. I swim in other brands with the same sizing.

whatsinaname

Reaction score
A popular approach around here:

1. Estimate your size, drawing on your vast experience in clothing manufacture. For example, you have an old Hugo Boss suit that says 41 on the label. So, your chest measurement must be 41", right?

2. Submit those measurements to an obsecure overseas MTM operation. It seems to work better if no one else has ever heard of the place and they have some incremental cost advantage over well-established operations.

3. Wait 10 days to 10 months for the MTM garment to arrive.

4. Upon arrival, immediately open the garment, which has been stuffed into a mailer, and put it on. (Very important: do =not= iron the garment.) Turn off all the lights in your New York studio apartment. Carefully arrange dirty clothes, unwashed dishes, and your futon in the background. Hold your cel phone camera at arm's length and take =one= photograph of you wearing the garment. Start a new thread on Styleforum that contains this picture and ask people if it fits.

5. If the consensus is the garment does not fit (almost guaranteed), collect the comments from the thread and then summarize the size changes that you are going to make, and then go to step 2.

6. If the garment does fit, you now know your size! Immediately select a completely different MTM operation that has popped up in the 3 years it took you to complete this process and go to step 2.

jemcgarvey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dw3610wm
ffffuuuu.gif

Stuck in Dubai? What tragedy my friend!

BTW whatsinaname, you're spot on!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads