• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you guys find out your measurments>

dv_indian

Reaction score
Go to a local tailor and get measured. Most will do it for free but if you feel uncomfortable/guilty getting it done for free, you can offer to pay them. Or, take a shirt or two to be altered and then slip in a request to get measured. That's how I did it.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
When you go in to get measured, just be upfront about why you're there. Tell them you're not looking to buy but you need your measurements and ask if there's a charge. I can't imagine there would be.

I would not trust a random department store salesman for this.

+1. Not all measurements are created equally. If you are like a lot of the members here, this job should be left to a real-deal alterations tailor (not a seamstress) or a bench tailor.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
as has been mentioned before, it's also not just about one set of clear measurements. Each garmant has a slightly different overall shape and feel. So i have 0.5 inch ranges on a lot of things from jackets to pants. It's as much an art as a science. I once dropped off a pair of pants with a list of measurements and when I got them back they didn't fit, but what could I say, the measurements were "correct". in short? take measurements off several things that fit you well, then get someone to do these for you (2-3 people) and blend them all together to find optimals and where you can adjust and where you can't. Example, I wear a chest with a diameter of anywhere from 19-20, but shoulders really have to be 16.5-17 and that's strict.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads