• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you create a shirt collar that doesn't fan out?

teknique22

Reaction score
What's the trick? I'm talking about achieving a MTM version of Ledbury's famous "stand up collar" - I don't think it's as simple as creating a stiffer band and leaf, because I have even Tom Ford collars that the band is stiff and tall, but the actual collar leaf itself fans almost horizontally off my chest.

What's the best way to solve this? Is there some weight a tailor can put at the ends of the collars to keep it falling down? I don't want to walk around with metal magnets on my body so please don't suggest Wurkin stiffs - I know there is a way to achieve what I'm looking for simply by the nature of it existing in many brands that already exist - Ledbury to name one of them.

There has to be a way to achieve this consistently - does anyone know how?

ledbury-editors-picks-for-fall-2013-4-thumb-620x413-70117.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dapperish

Reaction score
Have you tried Wurkin Stiffs? I use them, always have a perfect collar, and the magnets are not even noticeable.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want the collar lapels to pop out as on the pic?

That is considered on schools of high tailoring a fail and and an aberration ( but if you want to wear it as fashion trick then is ok)

You can get it putting on the back of the collar pockets a stiffer plastic arrow ( good shirts do have a detachable ones)

You can get a shirtmaker does a bad collar stand band to achieve the opposite effect it must do.

Also you can get a shirtmaker to do a long (+9 cms) collar lapel peaks with ultrastiff interlining and
peak reinforce.

This post is funny since a customer is asking bespoke for what we shirtmakers try to avoid: stiff interlinings and pop out collars, but is interesting since we must accomodate all what a customer ask.

Let me pass this to other shirtmaker friends.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has the shirt been laundered yet? Collar has a lot of spring.
I have a patent pending collar developed with Bryan of the company, Teddy Stratford.
Use nothing but a collar stay to keep the shirt tight to the collar band. No unsightly pulling, no buttons or hidden loops. These are made in my shop on 5th Ave

Last edited:

whitelies

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that this comes down to the cut of the shirt and how it fits you. Of course, the collar needs to be ironed properly and needs to be the right size, but if it still fans out, it might be because of the fitment, namely how the shirt and collar "aligns" to your shoulders and neck.

I've had this issue with various collar shapes as well as various collar heights, and on the other hand have an equal variety of styles that fit me fine without winging, so I think it has more to do with the overall fitment.

So I think the only proper soulution is to look for shirts where this doesn't happen.

Thoughts?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hemrajani will still make this style collar, as does Marol.

the cooper, lido, Italian collar is a sport shirt collar.
I think the poster is looking for a business appropriate collar.

the issue with this shirt is the collar construction.
the way the band and leaf are attached.
the modern methods of attaching collar to the band are one of the causes of this problem

a couple of good washes will help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads