• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did I do on my interview?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I've had interviews that I truly felt went this way, only to get an offer. The interviewer's personality, his seniority, his interviewing approach, where you are in the interviewing process, etc., can all make a huge difference.

I've been on interviews that went bad solely because the interviewer was a wet blanket with no personality.

My girlfriend cried during an interview a few weeks ago. She didn't get the job.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edify, Inc

Am I overthinking my performance? Based on my account of what transpired, how well do you think I did?

!

did you get the job? if so, you did great.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes..you were overthinking your performance.

Edify Inc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It took me about 4 months to hear back from the company that I currently work for.

Do you really put your expected compensation on your resume?
eh.gif

Um.. I actually did, it was requested from the company. Is it not the norm?

I pretty much knew that it was out of my hands now.. until and IF I get the callback.

To everyone else who replied and offered their opinion, advice and/or rant, thank you.
smile.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Companies are well within their rights to ask for your expected comp on an application form. Just be aware that, whatever number you put down, you're not getting more than that number in an offer or a negotiation. You might end up getting less.

It's totally acceptable not to fill out that section, and just to say "open to discussion, based on needs of the role and experience level," or something like that.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't be early for interviews. Be on time. Isn't that basic stuff?

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I just had a 1 hour interview with a place that disclosed at the end they only pay minimum wage and they only have part-time available. I wouldn't have wasted my time if I new that before the interview. They kept asking allot about my work ethic and what I want from a company, seriously for $7 an hour why do they care? I kinda think the HR person was just trying to waste an hour.
frown.gif

Edify Inc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Don't be early for interviews. Be on time. Isn't that basic stuff?

Yes sir, sure is. I gave myself more time to reach the place in case traffic was bad or whatever. Just happened to reach way in advance and rather then sit in the car getting more nervous, I went to look around the building and eventually ended up at the reception counter telling the girl processing interviews that I was early and have no problem waiting.

Better early than late, no?

Edify Inc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Companies are well within their rights to ask for your expected comp on an application form. Just be aware that, whatever number you put down, you're not getting more than that number in an offer or a negotiation. You might end up getting less.

It's totally acceptable not to fill out that section, and just to say "open to discussion, based on needs of the role and experience level," or something like that.

Oh I see. Thanks for the tip. This is my first real interview although I have been working for many years. My previous positions had no formal interviews and the salary was known well in advance.

Based on the way he asked about my stated expected salary though, I think I might have written down a real low number. However, as my primary goal is to get my proverbial foot through the door, if my lower expectations helps to achieve that, I'm happy.. for now.

If nothing else, this has been a real learning experience for me.

Edify Inc

Reaction score
Well, its about to be 3 weeks since my interview and I have not gotten any calls back.. yet. Technically it will only be 3 weeks on the 21st, so I'm going to hold off any calls or emails til after that date. Is that advisable? On a related note, I've noticed that the company in question has reposted the position on several job sites, albeit with some added job functions and a slightly different job title. Could it be that they are looking to fill more than 1 position? Not looking too good for me, I'm thinking.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads