• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I maximize shrinkage in my dress shirts?

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several dress shirts that are pretty new (worn a few times) and are ready to be washed. I want to maximize the shrinkage as I've lost a bit of weight since purchasing them. Whats the best way in doing so? Hot water + dryer?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subject them to a large temperature change. To check his shirts for shrinkage, Alex Kabbaz freezes wet shirts solid, and then throws them into a clothes dryer that's already been running on max heat for a while so the shirt gets the maximum temperature shock possible.

--Andre

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
What part of the shirt is too big.
You can not selectivly shrink parts of a shirt.

Better off taking them to a tailor to have them altered.

Carl

If everything (including the sleeve length) shrunk down a bit it'd be a perfect fit. Still waiting for a real response on how to maximize the shrinkage. Help!!
crazy.gif

dare-

Reaction score
get two buckets, one with hot water, one with cold. let it sit in the hot water for a minute and then immediately put it in the cold. let it sit for an hour.

stach

Reaction score
put the shirts in the washer with hot water, then put them in the dryer on high heat. Rally bake them. If they are still too big, repeat this process. Cotton will shrink about four times this way.

itskub

Reaction score
I'm not fimiliar with rally baking, but how much maximum shrinkage are we talking about? 1 inch in the chest, or more?

I picked up a button up shirt to throw around, nice design, but the fit is terrible, and I don't really want to pay for alterations.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While you may be successful at trimming the shirt down a bit, you'll trash the fabric in the process. Why not have a tailor/shirtmaker trim them down?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
While you may be successful at trimming the shirt down a bit, you'll trash the fabric in the process. Why not have a tailor/shirtmaker trim them down?

+1. It's not going to work out the way you would hope for.

itskub

Reaction score
Well it is a cheap shirt thats basically a size too large, so Im willing to experiment.

Will freezing do anything?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a happy accident of shrinking a slightly-large shirt to fit by nearly boiling it in the machine. Try maximum heat in the washer/dryer first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads