• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Pet Burial

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my ex just had to have her beloved cat Lizzie put down. Quite a shock since she was healthy and vital a week ago. She'd prefer to bury her at home in the backyard, so we checked with the city and they have no regulations prohibiting it on private property, nor regarding how it should be done. We know the grave should be at least three feet deep, and searching the web I've seen it suggested that the pet be placed in a heavy-duty plastic bag as well as a sealed container first, but my ex would prefer that Lizzie not be enclosed before burial, so she can decompose directly into the earth. Would this be safe?

Reaction score
Safe for whom?

Remember to make a mound, otherwise, there will be a depression (in your yard).

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to read of your loss.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Sorry to read of your loss.

Thanks.

By the way, DenimDML, I was very close to Lizzie too; I spent a lot of time with her when my ex and I were together. Thanks for the point about the mound.

Reaction score
Don't thank me, thank Steinbeck. I never thought about that until I read Grapes of Wrath.

I would be shattered if my cats died. I haven't experienced pet loss via death. My pets were always secret-squirreled.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just throwing in another idea here, but how about cremation?

We got our dog cremated and the good part is that you can take him/her around when you move houses.

Reaction score
I don't want to come off as flippant, but what this thread needs is more Ramones:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know where your gas lines are?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes this would be safe. There is really not that much risk in letting a dead animal rot in the ground (sorry to put it so bluntly). Three feet is overkill but you might as well go for it. The real issue is that you don't want another animal digging it up, or having it exposed in a heavy rain or even digging it up your self a year later.
Sorry about your cat.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Do you know where your gas lines are?

Good point, but the property owner knows about all that (she rents) and has okayed the location. Thanks.

Originally Posted by NorCal
Yes this would be safe. There is really not that much risk in letting a dead animal rot in the ground (sorry to put it so bluntly). Three feet is overkill but you might as well go for it. The real issue is that you don't want another animal digging it up, or having it exposed in a heavy rain or even digging it up your self a year later.
Sorry about your cat.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dragon
Just throwing in another idea here, but how about cremation?

We got our dog cremated and the good part is that you can take him/her around when you move houses.

Thanks. She considered that of course, but likes the idea of having Lizzie "return to the earth" in (closer to) a natural way. She grew up on a farm. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads