• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holes in Crotch of Howard Yount Pants: Anyone Else Have the Same Problem?

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, and a tailor that will put in chino fabric with heavy stitching to reinforce that area. Not something most people will look at close-up anyway.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've experienced the same pilling in the crotch on Howard Yount brushed flannel pants and they're not tight.

The pants don't have to be tight - in fact, the trousers of mine that show the most wear are actually fairly loose. It's the underlying leg structure that causes the rubbing, not the tightness of the trousers.

tonylamer

Reaction score
The pants don't have to be tight - in fact, the trousers of mine that show the most wear are actually fairly loose. It's the underlying leg structure that causes the rubbing, not the tightness of the trousers.
I think that's the problem. I thought about moths, but the fabric around the hole is shiny and worn, too; so I think that it must be my thighs. It's a little disconcerting to know that my pants budget is now going to shoot up.

I've never worn through pants before, but it's true that I sit a lot at work. Although, like someone said, I haven't had problems with any worsted pants.

I'll see if my tailor can implement the solution that you guys have come up with.

Rich0116

Reaction score

I have the same problem, and a tailor that will put in chino fabric with heavy stitching to reinforce that area. Not something most people will look at close-up anyway.

And, to be fair, those people who would be looking at that area close-up might be impressed.

"That's right, baby. I need the crotch of my pants reinforced."

On topic, I have lambswool flannel HY trousers, wear them as part of my regular rotation, and have had no such trouble. Been almost 4 months now I think of weekly wear.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely not an issue with the quality of the trousers.

Flannel wears much more quickly than more "finished" fabrics. That's the nature of the beast. That said, this does look like more than normal. I have a pair I've worn at least weekly, usually twice a week, for about 3 months, and they have zero signs of wear on them. I'm guessing these don't fit OP quite right, which is causing them to rub--which, combined with the relatively fragile nature of flannel, leads to this pilling.

Regardless, that's a bummer :(

microbrew

Reaction score
How does Howard Yount quality stack up against epaulet? I have never owned either and am looking to buy my first actual nice pair of pants... probably something in more of an "italian" cut, or a slim cut. Looking for some versatile navy pants for business casual and whatnot.

edit: also, is bonobos considered decent quality? construction wont be as nice as the aforementioned, but are they a good value for what you get at around $100?

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very similar. IIRC, they are made in the same factory.

Really, it is more about which cut and style you prefer.

Bmeliamb

Reaction score
How does Howard Yount quality stack up against epaulet? I have never owned either and am looking to buy my first actual nice pair of pants... probably something in more of an "italian" cut, or a slim cut. Looking for some versatile navy pants for business casual and whatnot.

edit: also, is bonobos considered decent quality? construction wont be as nice as the aforementioned, but are they a good value for what you get at around $100?

I've been debating between Epaulet and Howard Yount as well. I have big thighs though so I'm always reluctant to buy pants online.

microbrew

Reaction score

Very similar. IIRC, they are made in the same factory.

Really, it is more about which cut and style you prefer.

Ya, i understand the cut and style would be different. Also, I know they each offer a bunch of different cuts and styles. I dont understand how I could possibly know which i'd like best besides simply ordering one of each and returning all but the on i like the most? Seems like too much work. I understand neither of these are sold in stores....? So, i guess just going by the measurements would be the only reasonable thing to do.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips as to what might be good, versatile navy pants (could be worn 4 seasons, durable, looks formal enough for a business casual workplace...etc). Any preference within each category?

I thought I'd like the "italian cut" because my favorite pair of pants are some Hugo Boss pants that have what I think most would consider a "european" looking fit to them.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't tell you which will fit you best, especially as I know nothing about Epaulet cuts.

I can tell you to not do navy and instead go with mid-grey. It's a much more versatile color that goes with damn near everything. Navy does not.

If you are in New York, sometimes you can get in to see Jamison and try things on. Also, Epaulet has stores here. If not... I'd measure your favorite fitting trousers and compare them to the HY and Epaulet.

HughJ

Reaction score
The Yount American cut is roomy on my larger than average thighs. YMMV, of course. I wouldn't say the Italian cut borders on tight either, but some find it so. The measurements posted are fairly accurate if it helps. I've ordered Epaulets in the Walt cut, but they are yet to arrive (pre-order "factory finds"). Judging from the pictures, they may be even trimmer.

microbrew

Reaction score
Well, I can't tell you which will fit you best, especially as I know nothing about Epaulet cuts.

I can tell you to not do navy and instead go with mid-grey. It's a much more versatile color that goes with damn near everything. Navy does not.

If you are in New York, sometimes you can get in to see Jamison and try things on. Also, Epaulet has stores here. If not... I'd measure your favorite fitting trousers and compare them to the HY and Epaulet.

I appreciate the feedback.

The reason I was looking for navy is because, while they aren't of real high quality, I already have two mid-grey trousers. One is from JCrew Factory outlet :embar: , the "Bowery" pants. They are a bit too roomy in the crotch and thigh area for my taste, and maybe the rise is a bit too long. Second pair I bought from a Nordstrom Rack... these were the Hugo Boss pants that look like they could go with a suit. They were like $100 marked down from $195 or something, and I really like the fit. I had them hemmed to the correct length. Other than those two, my only pants in my work rotation are some tan chinos from jcrew factory. (I bought a bunch from JCrew factory for my 'start up' work clothes thinking it was a great deal, but later learned they are of inferior quality to the already questionable regular jcrew stuff)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall that Chris Despos did comment on this if you search through his posts. Basically they do not fit correctly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads