1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Holes in Crotch of Howard Yount Pants: Anyone Else Have the Same Problem?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tonylamer, Jan 27, 2013.

1. microbrew

microbrew Active Member

How does Howard Yount quality stack up against epaulet? I have never owned either and am looking to buy my first actual nice pair of pants... probably something in more of an "italian" cut, or a slim cut. Looking for some versatile navy pants for business casual and whatnot.

edit: also, is bonobos considered decent quality? construction wont be as nice as the aforementioned, but are they a good value for what you get at around $100?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Very similar. IIRC, they are made in the same factory.

Really, it is more about which cut and style you prefer.

3. Bmeliamb

Bmeliamb Well-Known Member

I've been debating between Epaulet and Howard Yount as well. I have big thighs though so I'm always reluctant to buy pants online.

4. microbrew

microbrew Active Member

Ya, i understand the cut and style would be different. Also, I know they each offer a bunch of different cuts and styles. I dont understand how I could possibly know which i'd like best besides simply ordering one of each and returning all but the on i like the most? Seems like too much work. I understand neither of these are sold in stores....? So, i guess just going by the measurements would be the only reasonable thing to do.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips as to what might be good, versatile navy pants (could be worn 4 seasons, durable, looks formal enough for a business casual workplace...etc). Any preference within each category?

I thought I'd like the "italian cut" because my favorite pair of pants are some Hugo Boss pants that have what I think most would consider a "european" looking fit to them.

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Well, I can't tell you which will fit you best, especially as I know nothing about Epaulet cuts.

I can tell you to not do navy and instead go with mid-grey. It's a much more versatile color that goes with damn near everything. Navy does not.

If you are in New York, sometimes you can get in to see Jamison and try things on. Also, Epaulet has stores here. If not... I'd measure your favorite fitting trousers and compare them to the HY and Epaulet.

6. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

The Yount American cut is roomy on my larger than average thighs. YMMV, of course. I wouldn't say the Italian cut borders on tight either, but some find it so. The measurements posted are fairly accurate if it helps. I've ordered Epaulets in the Walt cut, but they are yet to arrive (pre-order "factory finds"). Judging from the pictures, they may be even trimmer.

7. microbrew

microbrew Active Member

I appreciate the feedback.

The reason I was looking for navy is because, while they aren't of real high quality, I already have two mid-grey trousers. One is from JCrew Factory outlet :embar: , the "Bowery" pants. They are a bit too roomy in the crotch and thigh area for my taste, and maybe the rise is a bit too long. Second pair I bought from a Nordstrom Rack... these were the Hugo Boss pants that look like they could go with a suit. They were like $100 marked down from $195 or something, and I really like the fit. I had them hemmed to the correct length. Other than those two, my only pants in my work rotation are some tan chinos from jcrew factory. (I bought a bunch from JCrew factory for my 'start up' work clothes thinking it was a great deal, but later learned they are of inferior quality to the already questionable regular jcrew stuff)

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

I seem to recall that Chris Despos did comment on this if you search through his posts. Basically they do not fit correctly.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. microbrew

microbrew Active Member

What are you referring to with "they"?

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The trousers of OP I would imagine.

1 person likes this.
  11. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

It's interesting to see that this thread's still alive. I've since thrown out both pairs of pants, and still haven't been able to wear the third (made-in-Italy) navy ones. I'll read the Despos article right now; I'm very interested to know whether the problem's just too many leg presses or the cut of the pants. I've only ever had the same problem with a pair of Kiton pants, but they were from an EU48 suit, and my Younts were 34s.

Re: the "best" pants on the market: They are certainly NOT the best, but if you can get past the shock factor (to other SFers) of wearing Boss, then they're decent entry-level pants. Very durable, and modern without grabbing in the wrong places.

Steps or flights above Boss is Borrelli, which wear well, look good, and seem to sell for a reasonable price.

12. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Crazy question:

Is the chair you sit in at work fabric or leather? The reason I ask is that if it's fabric, you could be getting much more friction when slowly sliding down or scooting up in the chair.