• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

If you don't mind my asking, what is it about pleats that's causing you to "come around."  The look?  Comfort?  Something else? 

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

growing up, i always equated pleats to the hefty 90s double pleats on trous that were too billowy. My last suit came with single pleats and i was pleasantly surprised how they looked on me. flat front aren't uncomfortable at all, so i guess i just like the look with braces...a tad more elegant.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
growing up, i always equated pleats to the hefty 90s double pleats on trous that were too billowy. My last suit came with single pleats and i was pleasantly surprised how they looked on me. flat front aren't uncomfortable at all, so i guess i just like the look with braces...a tad more elegant.
Thanks.

Yes, I think they can look a bit dressier than flat front trousers (other factors being equal), and are very much part of the “classic” style from the ‘twenties on. Most of my trousers are flat front, however, but that’s only because I don’t think they look as natural on skinny guys like me. On larger men I agree they can contribute a degree of elegance.

Cheers,

Ac

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lately I've been coming around to pleats. these look tops monkey. I think for pleats to look their best they really need to be worn with braces instead of belt loops/belt.

i have never had an issue with the idea of pleats, but also has a lot to do with your hip size and how you wear pants. ime, for pleats to fall nice, you have to have a straighter line down your hips (not birthing hips) and wear the rise higher, otherwise they tend to turn inside out and that never looks good. just my experience in wearing them and seeing them on others.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As DerekS says, pleated trousers drape more elegantly and they offer a bit more comfort when sitting down or having your hands in your pockets. That said, I prefer single pleats over double ones: makes for a cleaner look, IMO.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

i have never had an issue with the idea of pleats, but also has a lot to do with your hip size and how you wear pants. ime, for pleats to fall nice, you have to have a straighter line down your hips (not birthing hips) and wear the rise higher, otherwise they tend to turn inside out and that never looks good. just my experience in wearing them and seeing them on others.

agreed. you can't wear them low. or you'll look like a schmuck.

As DerekS says, pleated trousers drape more elegantly and they offer a bit more comfort when sitting down or having your hands in your pockets. That said, I prefer single pleats over double ones: makes for a cleaner look, IMO.

very much agreed.

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am only 5´7´´ tall. Normally I am an american size 42R/S sometime 40R/S fits me also well. European size it is either 25 (the short size) or 50 (the regular size).

That is quite a failure on my part then. Funny, my spatial awareness is otherwise pretty good.

Shows, how well you dress, DC. <thumbs up>

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cashmere/wool. It shows up bright on my camera, but not my wife's more expensive one (though it also may be the lens, as her lenses are more expensive than mine as well). Fortunately, it isn't bright in real life as far as I can tell.

+1 what RD said. I'm sure your camera could get the same results or close with adjusted settings. I like the jacket either way.
nod[1].gif

(If you ever are in the market for a new compact, Sony's RX100 Mk1 or Mk2 are absolutely excellent. Just saying.)

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Already have a dslr and a few lenses. I just don't know how to use it.

But that would take too much time and I'd have to stop lying to myself about effort I put into my hobby*

*clothing, not photography

Last edited:

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could hook you up with my wife. She's the artist. Some of her ~22k pics on flickr have 30k+ views.
Guess, it's the same with you ("wife has better cam and lenses").

Last edited:

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's not tell her I gave her away so willingly.

note: I didn't say "wife has better equipment".

Last edited:

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Monkeyface, I like that shirt, tie, jacket combo. Been wanting to get myself a shirt with faded grey stripes for quite some time. I imagine it's pretty flexible. As for suspenders, well, I dig them. I've started making the commitment of removing the belt loops on more and more of my suits, though I think a single pleat would be enough for me. still nice. DC, I'm jealous of your grenadine ties Here's today's fit jacket is pretty much unconstructed and pretty thick material.
and for the sake of suspender talk… I have other colours on order, still in the adaption process. Hence the belt loops:blush:
great to have you posting here, I really like your style!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag