• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willin

Reaction score

Now my picture would look so bad compare to Spoo, thanks alot :devil: !

Do you live/work in the US? Considering the frequency with which you wear formal attire your lifestyle seems to be fascinating. Are you a double 0 secret agent, perhaps?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These pocket squares just don't go with the rest of the outfits. Your eyes are drawn to ...There's no harmony with all of the elements.

I'm not going to argue that I made the best choice of PS with my latest fit, but I'm afraid I'm going to need a better explanation of what went wrong if I'm to avoid such mistakes in the future.

In my case, I paired an orange, white, and blue PS with an outfit that was predominately blue and white. Two of the PS colors harmonized with the rest of my ensemble, and the third (orange) is the complement of blue. Maybe it didn't work in practice -- I'll leave that to the eye of the beholders -- but it seems to me that, in theory (color theory, that is), the PS should have had just the right amount of pop while still harmonizing with the whole.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Threadbearer
"Would really like to see a long shot."

UrbanComposition

Citan1145
"beautiful tie. i like an element or black(navy?) with the light coat"

bourbonbasted
"Great tie"

Thanks gents - the tie is Drake's via Will's ASW store:

http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/drakeslondontricolorstripedsilkshantungnecktie.aspx

Unfortunately this picture was taken yesterday and I just got to posting it today, so I can't do a long shot. It's a suit though - worn with medium brown wingtips.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

These are two good examples of when wearing a pocket square detracts from what is an otherwise nice outfit. When the color, pattern, or texture of a pocket square is incongruent with the rest of the outfit, just leave it out. These pocket squares just don't go with the rest of the outfits. Your eyes are drawn to them and away from the rest of the clothes. There's no harmony with all of the elements.
Also, patterned pocket squares with these types of folds almost never look right.
I like pocket squares. They can enhance an outfit, but they shouldn't be forced when they just don't work.

zb - I appreciate the feedback. The scale of the pattern on the PS is much different from that of the tie, so in that respect there's some discord there. I still like it there though. The pattern and texture of the fabric add to the spring/summeriness of the whole thing and contrast with the nubbiness of the linen suit and the shantung tie. The PS is this one (I link because Will's pictures are much better than mine so you get a better sense of what the thing looks like IRL):

http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/thehamptonshandkerchief.aspx

On the fold, I think for most patterned squares you are right, but for these kinds of checked patterns, the square works better. The squares of the pattern look weird to me when the fold isn't also square.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not going to argue that I made the best choice of PS with my latest fit, but I'm afraid I'm going to need a better explanation of what went wrong if I'm to avoid such mistakes in the future.
In my case, I paired an orange, white, and blue PS with an outfit that was predominately blue and white. Two of the PS colors harmonized with the rest of my ensemble, and the third (orange) is the complement of blue. Maybe it didn't work in practice -- I'll leave that to the eye of the beholders -- but it seems to me that, in theory (color theory, that is), the PS should have had just the right amount of pop while still harmonizing with the whole.

TB - the main issue I have with that PS is the similarity in scale and pattern between the PS and the shirt.

Colorwise, while it is blue with some more blue, those blues are quite different. You've got cool sedated blues in the rest of your outfit and a hotter almost aquamarine blue in the PS.

Sir F

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you live/work in the US? Considering the frequency with which you wear formal attire your lifestyle seems to be fascinating. Are you a double 0 secret agent, perhaps?
Do all agents wear like this in US? No I live in Europe and I attend alot of balrooms and events where you need to dress like this.

Last edited:

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robot pose for fit critique

tumblr_m3tjjylwtf1qapbr2o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3tjo5Vbm01qapbr2o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3tjo5Vbm01qapbr2o2_500.jpg

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Wilf

Reaction score
The suit itself is v.nice but the sleeves look a bit too long (bunches slightly and there's not enough cuff showing (at least from your pose). I think the chest is maybe a touch to big but I think it's really to do with the positioning of the top button which is a bit low on you (but I guess it's a matter of personal style).
The corresponding blue tie unfortunately does cheapens the look. Agree brown or if you can stomach it fushia with a white shirt.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's simply too bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads