• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Casual interpretation of yesterday's Black Friday challenge today:
IMG_0667.jpg

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishLapel
What about the hatmaking dream?
I need to find a hatter that will put aside his time to teach me the craft.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following Rob's lead, here's my weekend version of a dressier look that I sported last week.

Promise me that when you look at the last image, you will use your imagination to picture the C&J Merton's I'm saving up for in place of the loafers pictured here. Thank you.

Closeup-34.jpg

sleeves.jpg

Feet-11.jpg
merton_large.jpg

someotherstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
When I ordered a blue Hober grenadine a few months ago, David advised me not to try any knots more ambitious than 4-in-hands with it. He said it would be too thick unless we customized its width in several places, which seemed too bothersome to me at the time. Is your brown grenadine standard size or did you tweak it?

It's standard. And listen to David - he's got good advise. I changed the length maybe by an inch or two, but I can't remember for sure.

As for the knot, like I said, keep tying it till it's right lol!
laugh.gif

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about this one to sub for it in the same outfit?
Newtie.jpg

Alas, another no-go. I don't like the colors or the shape and size of the pattern with that jacket. Bringing some blue is a fine idea, and I think you need a tie with some texture.
use your imagination to picture the C&J Merton's I'm saving up for in place of the loafers pictured here. Thank you.
Closeup-34.jpg

The Mertons will be great. The pocket square, however, has to go.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
+1. I confess that I have a general dislike of yellow ties. The jacket might be a candidate for a shoulder pad-ectomy.

I agree about the shoulder padding. I'm not wild about it either. Is that something that can be done with minimal expense?

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I agree about the shoulder padding. I'm not wild about it either. Is that something that can be done with minimal expense?

I've never had it done personally, but I've read that it's difficult and costly. The tailor has to get into the shoulder seams, remove the padding, and then creatively trim or stitch away the extra fabric that was previously supported by the padding.

FELT

Reaction score
Okay, the tie below is now ashes.

Closeup-32.jpg

How about this one to sub for it in the same outfit?

Newtie.jpg

No! Everything else looks good - you have tie-blindness.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FELT
Those are lovely shoes - who makes them?
I asked that very same question just the other day when I saw this shoe in WAYWRN, which is what caused me to buy them (just this past week!) They are Romano Martegani Lucca 2 in Cognac Radica leather. Franco's has them on sale for $375, which is a steal for a really handsome shoe. According to RIDER, this shoe will never be produced again with this leather, as it's no longer available. My crappy photography really doesn't do justice to the marvelous finish on them -- check the picture in the link to Franco's for a better depiction.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
I've never had it done personally, but I've read that it's difficult and costly. The tailor has to get into the shoulder seams, remove the padding, and then creatively trim or stitch away the extra fabric that was previously supported by the padding.

Actually, maybe its because I give him TONS of work, but Frank has de-shouldered two jackets of mine for next to nothing in about 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads