• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker

mco543

Reaction score
I thrifted this grey herringbone overcoat and it only has this French tag. It feels unstructured and is very well made, I've never seen an overcoat like it.

Last edited:

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The tags are all perfect, and they use the right style and kind of buttons, it's hard to imagine who would go through all that trouble to fake it but have the label say made in turkey. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a uniform shirt, if not a true retail. I know the uniform suits are done in China to cut costs and prevent resale, so that's what I'd guess about the shirt.

The shirt is 100% authentic, however lack of quality detailing just means it's the cheapest model offered. TF has different tiers/ranges, they start in the mid 300's and go all the way up to the Sea Island cotton white shirts that are well over $900. But if you're familiar with Tom Ford production, you know that it is made by Ermenegildo Zegna, and if you are familiar with Zegna dress shirts, you would know that about 80% are made in Turkey. I've seen fakes TF shirts, and I own real, I don't own a Turkey made shirt, but this is real. The bar code on the inside of the placket is from a dry cleaner and has nothing to do with the shirt. The quality Tom Ford Shirts start in the 500-600 range. That's where you will start to see the thicker Australian MOP shell buttons,, the double button collars, double barrell cuffs, the perfect wide spread collar, the reinforced gussets and the overall higher quality of construction (also these are Swiss and Italian made). The only reason this is purchased retail is so people can say they own a TF shirt. The fact they even produce a line of shirts this poor (relatively speaking) and accessible is really surprising. 

Thank you both for such great info! Really appreciate it. I had read somewhere that Zegna was responsible for some TF but the post made it seem they were talking about when he was designing for Gucci. All makes sense thought, as aside from my listed concerns about the authenticity of the shirt, the overall feel and quality of the shirt when you touch it made me...sad. It feels like a Gap oxford shirt , honestly.

FlorinMarginean

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got this Blazer and I have no clue who made it. The buttons are made by Holland and Sherry, but the inside tag only says Savile Row. Can you help me?

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tag reads "Saville Row" with two Ls rather than "Savile Row", the London street which houses Holland and Sherry. It probably isn't from any maker of note. Looks like you've got some great brass buttons though!

the_good_life

Reaction score

This label seems familiar to me somehow, but I can' place it and did not find it on the thread. It belongs to a very nice looking suit. Any guesses? Thanks!

pi34

Reaction score
Hey - perhaps you guys can help me with this. I'm also selling it if anyone is interested. Basically, I got this NWT Alfred Dunhill sport jacket/blazer [realistically, I'm fairly certain it is an orphaned suit jacket] in a staple grey kind of color for a really good price from a S5AOF. A bit of an older button stance in a large size 48US/58IT.

Any information would be great. I know Dunhill is a high end maker, but I am not sure whether "Alfred Dunhill London" is a diffusion or cheaper. The buttons being attached threw me off a little, but I know a good number of makers in the $1500-$2250 range do this from time to time. I figured I could get some insight if I learned who made it. Really, I appreciate any information on it.

Amercs

Reaction score
Can anyone help with an ID of these, I was thinking Edward Green, but I am a noviceand do not actually know anything. Thanks
[/IMG]

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the "Col Pic" box on the Zegna tag refers to? Or, better yet, does anyone know which of these refers to the actual color of the jacket?

I've never thought of myself as the guy who couldn't tell between true Navy and black but now I'm puzzled. Bought a jacket that was listed as Navy, pics seem to show it as such. Upon receipt it looked extremely dark and I couldn't decide which it was, looks to be absent of any blue shades. I tried searching online and every maker tag I saw for "Black" items has a Col Pic 29 whereas the few Navy ones I looked at Had Col Pic 11... I'm wondering if it's indicative of the color.

Last edited:

GM-H

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads