• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History of Engineer Boots

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't actually explain anything about how they came to be or why they're designed the way they are, though.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
That doesn't actually explain anything about how they came to be or why they're designed the way they are, though.
This thread on SF describes the history more in depth (if you care). - http://new.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=13309 I saw that site some time ago when I wanted a new pair of boots and realized that one can't buy anything off of the site. I think everything there is his / her private collection. The only bad thing about engineer boots is, when you go flying off of your bike, there is a good chance your boots will fly off your feet since the boots are not tied on.

Reaction score
My coworker's friend's kid was hit by a car and it knocked his sneakers off. The ER nurse said that it was a good thing that his shoes flew off because it helped diffuse the force of the impact. I would imagine that if your boots flew off in a bicycle accident it would not be a bad thing.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
My coworker's friend's kid was hit by a car and it knocked his sneakers off. The ER nurse said that it was a good thing that his shoes flew off because it helped diffuse the force of the impact. I would imagine that if your boots flew off in a bicycle accident it would not be a bad thing.
I always assumed the strap across the instep would keep the boots on pretty snug. The taller ones even strap over the calf so they would have that keeping them on as well. If I go flying off my bike at 80mph, I want them staying on, since I like having ankle bones etc.

I am still trying to figure out what these pockets on the side of the boot are for:

engr06lg5bi.jpg

I would never tuck my jeans into them, but these look pretty badass and functional to me. BTW, I saw Rebel Without A Cause again a couple weeks ago and noted that all the dudes in that movie wear engineer boots.

If you follow the links on the site there is some history about the boots.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
That pocket is for a straight razor.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why they never make harness or engineer boots in narrow widths. Even the medium widths seem to run wide. My heel flops around too much to wear them but I think they are my favorite style boots. (As far as motorcycling boots)

If I ever get the $, I'll get a pair custom made.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I don't understand why they never make harness or engineer boots in narrow widths. Even the medium widths seem to run wide. My heel flops around too much to wear them but I think they are my favorite style boots. (As far as motorcycling boots)

If I ever get the $, I'll get a pair custom made.

Maybe you could put heel cups in them, or some kind of insole? Most work and military boots are made wide so that they will "fit" most people, assuming the people put in their own insoles to adjust the fit.

Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
That pocket is for a straight razor.
Thanks.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Maybe you could put heel cups in them, or some kind of insole? Most work and military boots are made wide so that they will "fit" most people, assuming the people put in their own insoles to adjust the fit.
I tried that too. I pretty much gave up on boots w/o laces. Although, I just noticed Wesco makes custom boots. That might work... Now, I just need to get another bike to go with the boots. http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Belstaff made boots? There are some other cool Belstaff boots on their website. I would imagine the quality is as good as their jackets.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I picked up a pair of Red Wing engineer boots for riding. (My Hawkins Doc style boots are beat to death.) Are these supposed to be tight at the calf? The top buckle thing basically does nothing. All the way tight they are still quite loose up there. Even if I tuck my jeans into them (which I never would in reality) they are still loose. My calves aren't really THAT scrawny. Most boots I wear I cannot lace all the way together. So what's the deal here? Anyone else have a pair of these?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
So I picked up a pair of Red Wing engineer boots for riding. (My Hawkins Doc style boots are beat to death.) Are these supposed to be tight at the calf? The top buckle thing basically does nothing. All the way tight they are still quite loose up there. Even if I tuck my jeans into them (which I never would in reality) they are still loose. My calves aren't really THAT scrawny. Most boots I wear I cannot lace all the way together. So what's the deal here? Anyone else have a pair of these?

I just picked up a pair of Red Wing boots myself (in addition to a '06 Honda VTX 1300 in Black - the fastest color).

I got loggers (669 I think).

As I posted earlier, I gave up on the type of boots you mentioned because of fit. I've had the engineer and harness boots and they were always loose. They look great but never fit all that well.

The straps on the ankle and top of the boot were always worthless to me. They never did anything but look good no matter how I adjusted them. I don't understand the idea behind the straps. (I don't have skinny legs either, there about average size.) To fill the 'pipes' in those kind of boots one would have to have calves the size of logs.

The straps would never get tight or even snug in the calf or the foot in addition to my heal flopping around. My guess is, judging by the boots I've had and seeing them on other people, the straps are more decorative than functional.

I didn't have red wings but I think I had Carolina and Georgia boots.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I didn't know Belstaff made boots? There are some other cool Belstaff boots on their website. I would imagine the quality is as good as their jackets.

I just picked up a dark olive zip hoodie from Belstaff - amazing piece...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads