• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hiring A Stylist

TuckyBourbon

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, serious and less-so
smile.gif

infurmia

Reaction score
Harry Rosen, and Holt Renfrew are both located in Southern Ontario, and offer services where they will evaluate your wardrobe, discern what kind of look you may like, and help you build up the kind of style you want. Never used so I can't vouch for either, but I would imagine they are capable of doing what you would like.

Harry Rosen

CLOSET CLEAN-UP
Are you unsure of how to coordinate the clothes you already own? Do you want some new clothes for your wardrobe, but don't know where to start? Do you have a selection of clothes that haven't been worn for years, but that represent an investment you're reluctant to be rid of? One of our sales associates will gladly visit your home to inventory your closet and provide suggestions on how to mix and match what you have. He'll also recommend additions to your wardrobe and determine a plan for seasons to come. A tailor can even be on hand to suggest any fitting or readjustments that you may need.
Holt Renfrew

What we do
From men to women, students to CEO's, corporate to social, personal shopping is available to anyone. We will review your existing wardrobe and work together to determine what pieces are necessary to update your look in style.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by infurmia
Harry Rosen, and Holt Renfrew are both located in Southern Ontario, and offer services where they will evaluate your wardrobe, discern what kind of look you may like, and help you build up the kind of style you want. Never used so I can't vouch for either, but I would imagine they are capable of doing what you would like.

Harry Rosen

Holt Renfrew

Or he could come down to NYC, pay me to take him to the top shops in town and leave with a significantly lighter wallet but very heavy luggage.
lol8[1].gif

TuckyBourbon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by infurmia
Harry Rosen, and Holt Renfrew are both located in Southern Ontario, and offer services where they will evaluate your wardrobe, discern what kind of look you may like, and help you build up the kind of style you want. Never used so I can't vouch for either, but I would imagine they are capable of doing what you would like. Harry Rosen Holt Renfrew
This is a good idea in theory, but their intent is to get you to fulfill your wardrobe's needs with stuff they have in stock. They're not going to be 100% objective. Having said that, I do like Holt a lot and feel their stuff would be a great match for my wardrobe.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I left out the mention of andy's CD so that Andy could do it himself and sniff around that 500K. He'll have a boner for a month. I also sent Cruiser a PM advising him of the possible appearance of a rival, a man richer even than he, and who also doesn't know how to dress.
Remember that a-hole from Michigan some months ago? The guy with the start-ups who was showing off his style. He put up a good fight but come on, it isn't even sport when they wander into this place.

Lovellum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Now, tell me truthfully: your mind is blown, is it not?

I would be lying if I said no, but only because I'm not sure I fully understand all you just said.

mtf

Reaction score
It sounds like your trying to throw money at the symptom of the problem, pay for someone elses style and pass it off as your fashion. There is a subtle difference there. Their style would be your fashion; it is not necessarily your style.

For example I like rocking a pocket square in my sportcoats. I've talked friends into wearing them and they just don't have the confidence to pull it off. Technically it looked really good on them. But they would get self conscience every time someone glanced to their pocket square. If you're not confident in your personal style then you will just not look good. It's just like how you must have confidence in what you're selling; except in this case you're "selling" your look.

There is a way to throw money at the problem instead of the symptom. Head over to a high end clothing store and go play. If something looks good then buy it, wear it, learn your likes/dislikes, either donate it or buy more like it and then let your own personal style evolve.

I know I get pretty fried at work when I'm pulling long hours. I used to head over to Nordstrom's Rack and just peruse the racks for an hour to get my brain back in the game. Don't ask for help from any of the sales people. Just walk around and try on anything that catches your fancy. I was there at least once a week for over a year. My style evolved. I bought my first sport coat. I bought my first pocket squares. I bought my first pair of braces (suspenders). My first really good overcoat. It let me try on a bunch of brands which led to my first good suit. I have probably donated all of the stuff I bought in the first few years as my style changed.

My style is still changing. Recently I've been getting in to vests and three piece suits. But you know what, it still fits my personality. It doesn't make me look good, I make it look good.

Once you notice some of your friends of colleagues echoing your personal style then you will know you have hit your magic "10" ranking.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtf
Once you notice some of your friends of colleagues echoing your personal style then you will know you have hit your magic "10" ranking.

643180752_gVGcY-L.jpg

- B

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TuckyBourbon
This is a good idea in theory, but their intent is to get you to fulfill your wardrobe's needs with stuff they have in stock. They're not going to be 100% objective. Having said that, I do like Holt a lot and feel their stuff would be a great match for my wardrobe.

So? What's the problem with that? No one is 100% objective. Really, I think a smart salesperson at a top department store is great for what you want. If I had the same problem, and disinterest in leading my own way, I'd just go to Barneys or Bergdorf Goodman and open up the wallet.

TuckyBourbon

Reaction score
I didn't mean to give the impression that I have no interest in learning about fashion or developing my own style. In fact, that's exactly what I want to do. I just want to accelerate the process dramatically.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brah - don't listen to these cats. You're a sick dude and you need to rock some sick ****. Generally, you can't go wrong with Ed Hardy - though the trend is on the downplay, it's ripe for an upsurge. For example, I would recommend a t-shirt of a dragon ****** a lion on a skateboard.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TuckyBourbon
I didn't mean to give the impression that I have no interest in learning about fashion or developing my own style. In fact, that's exactly what I want to do. I just want to accelerate the process dramatically.

well i'm sure cocaine would help... it always helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads