• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High quality shampoo

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have thick hair that gets a bit wavy when it's long. I'm actually quite pleased with it but I wonder if there's a really great shampoo that will bring out all its better qualities and keep it looking good. Right now I use like 2 dollar shampoo. Some brand that starts with a V. It's a 2 in 1 conditioner.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nioxin is great -- not just for thinning hair either. Try the shampoo and conditioner both. Not inexpensive, but worth it IMO.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
I have thick hair that gets a bit wavy when it's long. I'm actually quite pleased with it but I wonder if there's a really great shampoo that will bring out all its better qualities and keep it looking good. Right now I use like 2 dollar shampoo. Some brand that starts with a V. It's a 2 in 1 conditioner.

There are a million good shampoos. Personally, I use Aveda and Abba but any salon can get you a good shampoo. Yes, it's slightly more expensive, but it will last longer and be better for your hair.

A styling product would be perfect to help bring out your hair's "better qualities". (not sure what you mean by that but..)

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm would a fancy shampoo be worth it for someone who has no problems whatsoever with his hair? I've always used the cheap stuff (using Suave now), and my hair feels soft and clean and whatnot, at least for 20 minutes until I cover it with gel and slick it straight back.

I am addicted to nice soaps (KMF's "Bare Naked" glycerin bar is what I'm currently using), and top shelf shaving creams, but as far as shampoo and toothpaste go, I just don't care. Acutally, I do care about toothpaste, it must BURN. Very dissapointed with the new formulation of the Crest paste and its weakness. I made the switch over to Colgate "luminous" mint gel. It has a very nice burn, letting me know I am getting my mouth clean.

But I digress....

Once I run out of the Bare Naked soap bars I bought, I am going to start using the Kiss My Face olive oil bars, which I hear also work when used as a shampoo.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I am going to start using the Kiss My Face olive oil bars, which I hear also work when used as a shampoo.
They don't. I've used them. They're fairly stripping, actually. I wouldn't even go back to them as body soaps. They're not bad, and there's much worse, but I've also used much better.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow really? Thanks for the input.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may feel differently about them as a body soap, but they are definitely not good for hair.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, nice thick hair and a good hairline (which my family history indicates will never go away) is the only physical thing I'll never rhave to worry about...

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Kiehl's, shampoo and conditioner.

The whole Checks family uses it - you should too!

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the baxter daily protein shampoo is very good.

i tried the khiel's all-sport shampoo and can't recommend it. it left my hair sticky and limp.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Hmmm would a fancy shampoo be worth it for someone who has no problems whatsoever with his hair? I've always used the cheap stuff (using Suave now), and my hair feels soft and clean and whatnot, at least for 20 minutes until I cover it with gel and slick it straight back.

One doesn't need to have any problems with one's hair to use a better shampoo. Better shampoos usually have less detergent, smell better (matter of opinion I guess), and are more gentle on hair. Also, some companies' shampoos and such can be used as all over washes. Sometimes when I travel I just take my shampoo.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i use dr bronners liquid soap. i use it for washing my hair, body, jeans, and any other clothes that need to be hand washed. its great stuff, just dont read the bottle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads