• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High quality shampoo

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've sampled many shampoos and conditioners and have settled on EO. Not too pricey and the feedback I get from visitors to my shower has been uniformly approving.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I like kiehl's conditioner a lot. You can also use a dot of it as "product" for that silky smooth feeling. Awwww yeeeaah.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
i use dr bronners liquid soap. i use it for washing my hair, body, jeans, and any other clothes that need to be hand washed. its great stuff, just dont read the bottle.

"Dr. Bronners liquid soap is made of all-natural ingredients, and won't hurt the environment. It is bio-degradeable, gentle for delicate skin. This soap can be used for shaving, as shampoo, dental mouthwash or skin care. At MaggiesCottage we recommend this as an economical buy."

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've used the Bronner's (bar not liquid) and definately wouldn't recommend it as a mouthwash lol Maybe the peppermint scent would be ok....but not the tea tree oil version I tried

Zhivyetz

Reaction score
I'll second the Nioxin recommendation. They also have a formulation made specifically for "thick, unruly" hair. I foolishly bought it despite having fine, thinning hair
blush.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, dumb question, but I'm a dumb kinda guy so: are there any good cheapo drugstore shampoos?

Also, Arethusa, what kind of soap do you use, since you don't like the KMF..just curious.

I didn't care for Dr. Bronners, found it to be too drying. So I never bothered using it as a shampoo.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
the site says those toothpastes don't contain fluoride. are there any issues with that?

(i'm feeling de ja vu, as though i've asked this before but don't recall the answer.)

It seems the Marvis toothpastes contain fluoride.

The active ingredients provide a thorough but gentle polishing action and include 0.3% sodium flouride to help strengthen tooth enamel and prevent decay.

kapay

Reaction score
I have thin, 5 in. long hair. I seem to loose more hair than I personally feel is normal and combined with my hair being thin, it's not a good thing. You can't really see my scalp because my hair is moderately long but it bothers me. Can anyone recommend a shampoo/conditioner? I've tried a hair thickening shampoo by Redken for Men and just recently bought Garnier Fructice for thin hair but I haven't used it yet.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Ok, dumb question, but I'm a dumb kinda guy so: are there any good cheapo drugstore shampoos?
Short answer is no. Long answer is sort of. I've heard good things about Suave Professional. Tresemme and Garnier Fructis are also ok. Be careful with Fructis, though; the scents range from something like bearable to the exact opposite of bearable. Try and avoid shampoos with sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate, although that's not really possible at the drug store price range.
Also, Arethusa, what kind of soap do you use, since you don't like the KMF..just curious.
I use MenScience body wash with a kese.
Originally Posted by kapay
I have thin, 5 in. long hair. I seem to loose more hair than I personally feel is normal and combined with my hair being thin, it's not a good thing. You can't really see my scalp because my hair is moderately long but it bothers me. Can anyone recommend a shampoo/conditioner? I've tried a hair thickening shampoo by Redken for Men and just recently bought Garnier Fructice for thin hair but I haven't used it yet.
Try a shampoo with a DHT blocker (among others, Baxter of California makes shampoos that do this). It can help with a specific form of hair loss. Be aware, though, that it is only a specific form of hair loss, and there are others. If your hair loss is genetic, there may be nothing you can do about it.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You could always find a grocery store that sells salon hair products. That happens quite a bit when hair product distributers divert their products to drug stores.

Not that I am advocating that, but it happens. That's why one can buy Paul Mitchell, KMS, and lots of other stuff at the grocery store (sometimes). Price could be higher or lower than a salon.

keal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
i use dr bronners liquid soap.

Same here - I use the almond version. You can usually find it at health food stores, and like cheapmutha said, don't read the label! Hahaha
smile.gif

Bronner's 18-in-1 soap is an extremely mild castille/hemp soap and can be used as a shampoo, body gel, bath soak, etc.

Every so often, add a small handful of baking soda to your shampoo. It'll clean out all the chemical buildup in your hair.

In the morning, using extra virgin olive oil, very lightly coat your hands and rub them through your hair. It stops frizzing, and gives your hair a good shine.

If you have fine hair, brush it every so often with a toothbrush, rather than a standard hair brush. It's easier on your hair and keeps it nice and neat. It's easy enough to stash a toothbrush at work, in your car, etc.

Actually, I read Bronner's label a few times. It's kind of catchy
smile.gif
"All For One!"

auto90403

Reaction score
my dentist used to be a dental school professor. he told me to buy the least abrasive toothpaste on the market and be done with it. he said gels are lower in abrasion than pastes and reccommended the no-frills colgate flouride gel. which i think has been discontinued in favor of all those other brand extension version that cost twice as much.

your toothbrush and how you use it matter more than your toothpaste.

BigSur

Reaction score
my hair kind of sucks... you really can't do anything with it. I don't think its dry but tends to look dry at times. It is also very thick and I have alot of hair. Its very hard--at least for me--to style. Idealy, I would like to my hair to look healthy and moist and I would like for it to cooperate with a messy style. My goal has proven somewhat impossible. It always seems to look its driest when I put any kind of styling product in it. I've gotten to the point where I get really short haircuts and get them really often and just let my hair sit naturally (which actually looks good on me, but I often find myself wishing I could style it). I've never tried any shampoo or conditioner that I have paid more than $10 for and have never used a product that I've paid more than 15-20 dollars for. Is this probably the reason why? I'm willing to purchase something pricier for significant improvement but I guess I'm somewhat reluctant to waste money trying out different brands and have it be in vain. Anyone have any similar experience or any tips?

Memphis

Reaction score
Im kinda found of the entire Alterna line of shampoos and conditioners. I have thinning hair and use the "Life" product line and have noticed the hair being slightly thicker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads