1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

High quality shampoo

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Violinist, May 16, 2006.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Ok, dumb question, but I'm a dumb kinda guy so: are there any good cheapo drugstore shampoos?

Also, Arethusa, what kind of soap do you use, since you don't like the KMF..just curious.

I didn't care for Dr. Bronners, found it to be too drying. So I never bothered using it as a shampoo.

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Drugstore toothpastes are too sweet.

http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/1379125.htm

the site says those toothpastes don't contain fluoride. are there any issues with that?

(i'm feeling de ja vu, as though i've asked this before but don't recall the answer.)

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

the site says those toothpastes don't contain fluoride. are there any issues with that?

(i'm feeling de ja vu, as though i've asked this before but don't recall the answer.)

It seems the Marvis toothpastes contain fluoride.

The active ingredients provide a thorough but gentle polishing action and include 0.3% sodium flouride to help strengthen tooth enamel and prevent decay.

4. kapay

kapay Well-Known Member

Castro Valley, Oakland, San Francisco California
    I have thin, 5 in. long hair. I seem to loose more hair than I personally feel is normal and combined with my hair being thin, it's not a good thing. You can't really see my scalp because my hair is moderately long but it bothers me. Can anyone recommend a shampoo/conditioner? I've tried a hair thickening shampoo by Redken for Men and just recently bought Garnier Fructice for thin hair but I haven't used it yet.

5. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Ok, dumb question, but I'm a dumb kinda guy so: are there any good cheapo drugstore shampoos?
    Short answer is no. Long answer is sort of. I've heard good things about Suave Professional. Tresemme and Garnier Fructis are also ok. Be careful with Fructis, though; the scents range from something like bearable to the exact opposite of bearable. Try and avoid shampoos with sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate, although that's not really possible at the drug store price range.
    Also, Arethusa, what kind of soap do you use, since you don't like the KMF..just curious.
    I use MenScience body wash with a kese.
    I have thin, 5 in. long hair. I seem to loose more hair than I personally feel is normal and combined with my hair being thin, it's not a good thing. You can't really see my scalp because my hair is moderately long but it bothers me. Can anyone recommend a shampoo/conditioner? I've tried a hair thickening shampoo by Redken for Men and just recently bought Garnier Fructice for thin hair but I haven't used it yet.
    Try a shampoo with a DHT blocker (among others, Baxter of California makes shampoos that do this). It can help with a specific form of hair loss. Be aware, though, that it is only a specific form of hair loss, and there are others. If your hair loss is genetic, there may be nothing you can do about it.

6. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

You could always find a grocery store that sells salon hair products. That happens quite a bit when hair product distributers divert their products to drug stores.

Not that I am advocating that, but it happens. That's why one can buy Paul Mitchell, KMS, and lots of other stuff at the grocery store (sometimes). Price could be higher or lower than a salon.

7. keal

keal Senior member

i use dr bronners liquid soap.

Same here - I use the almond version. You can usually find it at health food stores, and like cheapmutha said, don't read the label! Hahaha [​IMG]

Bronner's 18-in-1 soap is an extremely mild castille/hemp soap and can be used as a shampoo, body gel, bath soak, etc.

Every so often, add a small handful of baking soda to your shampoo. It'll clean out all the chemical buildup in your hair.

In the morning, using extra virgin olive oil, very lightly coat your hands and rub them through your hair. It stops frizzing, and gives your hair a good shine.

If you have fine hair, brush it every so often with a toothbrush, rather than a standard hair brush. It's easier on your hair and keeps it nice and neat. It's easy enough to stash a toothbrush at work, in your car, etc.

Actually, I read Bronner's label a few times. It's kind of catchy [​IMG] "All For One!"

8. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    my dentist used to be a dental school professor. he told me to buy the least abrasive toothpaste on the market and be done with it. he said gels are lower in abrasion than pastes and reccommended the no-frills colgate flouride gel. which i think has been discontinued in favor of all those other brand extension version that cost twice as much.

your toothbrush and how you use it matter more than your toothpaste.

9. BigSur

BigSur Senior member

my hair kind of sucks... you really can't do anything with it. I don't think its dry but tends to look dry at times. It is also very thick and I have alot of hair. Its very hard--at least for me--to style. Idealy, I would like to my hair to look healthy and moist and I would like for it to cooperate with a messy style. My goal has proven somewhat impossible. It always seems to look its driest when I put any kind of styling product in it. I've gotten to the point where I get really short haircuts and get them really often and just let my hair sit naturally (which actually looks good on me, but I often find myself wishing I could style it). I've never tried any shampoo or conditioner that I have paid more than $10 for and have never used a product that I've paid more than 15-20 dollars for. Is this probably the reason why? I'm willing to purchase something pricier for significant improvement but I guess I'm somewhat reluctant to waste money trying out different brands and have it be in vain. Anyone have any similar experience or any tips?

10. Memphis

Memphis Senior member

Im kinda found of the entire Alterna line of shampoos and conditioners. I have thinning hair and use the "Life" product line and have noticed the hair being slightly thicker.

11. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

my hair kind of sucks... you really can't do anything with it. I don't think its dry but tends to look dry at times. It is also very thick and I have alot of hair. Its very hard--at least for me--to style. Idealy, I would like to my hair to look healthy and moist and I would like for it to cooperate with a messy style. My goal has proven somewhat impossible. It always seems to look its driest when I put any kind of styling product in it. I've gotten to the point where I get really short haircuts and get them really often and just let my hair sit naturally (which actually looks good on me, but I often find myself wishing I could style it). I've never tried any shampoo or conditioner that I have paid more than $10 for and have never used a product that I've paid more than 15-20 dollars for. Is this probably the reason why? I'm willing to purchase something pricier for significant improvement but I guess I'm somewhat reluctant to waste money trying out different brands and have it be in vain. Anyone have any similar experience or any tips?

A good hairstylist should be able to make some suggestions and help you find a style you are happy with. One doesn't have to pay a ton of $ for a good stylist.

Also, if you go to a stylist, they should have samples for you to try. If they charge anything, it may be $1-$3 for some travel size samples.

Don't be afraid to try different stylists and see which of their suggestions work for you.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

I know it's a late reply, but I just read your post. I'm looking up this "kese"...are these mits somewhat abrasive?

13. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Yes. They're designed to be exfoliating.

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

Now I am intrigued...I feel like getting one just to compare to my Salux cloth, which I love.

15. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

The best shampoo that I have ever used, is Jean-Marc Maniatis SHIINE, bioacide de fruits. A close second, is Queen Helene, Mint Julep.

16. Shorty Long

Shorty Long Senior member

17. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

I have very thick, wavy hair and the best I've tried so far is Anthony Logistics shampoo and conditioner.

18. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I'll second the Nioxin recommendation. They also have a formulation made specifically for "thick, unruly" hair. I foolishly bought it despite having fine, thinning hair [​IMG]

Nioxin is over priced to the max! Doesn't do a thing for thinning hair. It was developed by a dermatologist (yay!) who was trying to help her dad reverse his balding. It doesn't work, to say the least. If you want something for thinning hair then try a tea trea oil shampoo or something with buckthorn, so I've heard.

All you need is a shampoo without sodium laureth sulfate, which is hard because most drugstore and salon brands have it.

If you want something easy and cheap, use this:
    http://www.vitacost.com/Jason-Shampoo-Natural-Jojoba
    http://www.vitacost.com/JasonConditionerJojoba

Doesn't dry your hair out at all. Salon "product" is over priced.

I haven't tried their kelp or biotin flavors but next time I will try the biotin one for S&G.

Listening to hairstylists talk about hair is outrageously funny. They think they are doctors.

19. javyn

javyn Senior member

Yes I was an idiot and let my haircut lady talk me into some Nioxin scalp treatment stuff. What a joke.

20. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Bumble and Bumble Tonic shampoo