• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-End Buffet?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but praises for the Sunday champagne brunch at Nicholini's in The Conrad in Hongkong

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
It's a smart move for restaurants. Minimal increase in food costs (very few pig out), no spoiled food (somebody will eat it if you put it out), faster turnover (no time wasted with patrons sitting at tables waiting for food), and lower labor costs (easier to cook in large batches). "Turn and burn."

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. "High-end" buffet: wtf is that? Do you mean "high-priced" buffet? I don't understand how a buffet can be high end?
2. Buffet, as greg_atl said, has got to be a fabulously profitable gig for restaurants. And, unlike most eating establishments, buffets LOVE busses!
3. There is a (definitely NOT high-end) buffet right outside my office window. One dude went in every day for a week at lunchtime and came out almost exactly 90 minutes later AND BLEW CHUNKS all over the sidewalk. He just stood there and made street pizza! A technicolor yawn!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
2. Buffet, as greg_atl said, has got to be a fabulously profitable gig for restaurants. And, unlike most eating establishments, buffets LOVE busses!

Can you explain that? I don't see how it's profitable. Most restaurants charge between 15-30 bucks for a steak (regular restaurants, not super high-end), right? Then 3 bucks for a free-refill pop, 8 for an appetizer, and 8 for dessert.... so that's around 30/person for one plate.

How, then, is it profitable to charge someone 15 bucks for their meal and a drink, when they can have the equivalent of 5 appetizers, 3 steaks, 2 desserts, and 10 drinks?

I understand that the original steak doesn't cost them 15-30 to actually make, but I always thought that buffets were walking thin ice on the almost too cheap line.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
stevejobs: By definition, isn't a buffet where you serve yourself? Plucking food from a selection of both hot and cold dishes? That's not high-end. It may be high-priced. And the food might even be palatable. But not high-end. Unless you mean high-end like a high-priced hooker. Then maybe. But still: you're serving yourself! With food that is lying under heat lamps, or steaming over cans of sterno. And carrying it back to your table. Oh. I see. Its at the Bellagio. Oh, that makes it high-end. Yeah. Vegas and all.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Can you explain that? I don't see how it's profitable.
Its been awhile since I looked at any restaurant's books, but IIRC food costs and labor costs in a normal operation make up about 50-55% of a retail price point. A buffet takes nearly half the labor cost out of the equation immediately. No waitstaff. And what staff you have is cheap: just bus boys.

Adding 10% to the net of each plate sold is the difference between a restaurant losing money or making an insane amount of money.

The concept I'm really amused at is the Mongolian grill where you "build" your entree, add all the special ingredients and secret sauces and then they dump it all onto the same hot grill as the food for the assholes in front and behind you! Like the flavors stay all segregated!

I hate any restaurant where I have to handle my food before I consume it. It reminds me of going to the cafeterias when I was a little kid, and eating out of those compartmentalized trays.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
We should just IM.

I'm kidding.

Do people your age do that new fangled IM stuff?
devil.gif
laugh.gif

stevejobs

Reaction score
stevejobs: By definition, isn't a buffet where you serve yourself? Plucking food from a selection of both hot and cold dishes?

That's not high-end.

It may be high-priced. And the food might even be palatable. But not high-end.

Unless you mean high-end like a high-priced hooker. Then maybe. But still: you're serving yourself! With food that is lying under heat lamps, or steaming over cans of sterno. And carrying it back to your table.

Serving yourself shouldn't be a problem. I'd rather walk a few steps and burn some energy if the costs that go into the wait staff can be transfered to other aspects of the restaurant.

Moreover, it is something to differentiate yourself if you are a proprietor--win business anyway you can.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^How about just provide a fabulous meal in an impecable setting with incredible service? Buffets (regardless of price point) are just the flavors of the month. I think six have opened in my city in the last two months; every one with great fanfare. And every one has turned out to be just a slightly re-branded heap of warmed over glop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads