• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working in DC I'm an Allen Edmonds fan or "Ed Head" as the saying goes. Good quality on most of their shoes and the re-crafting service is excellent. the Strand and Park Avenue/5th Avenue shoes are staples. That said, I'm interested in moving up to Alden. I picked up a pair of Battistoni's at Barneys New York and they are quite nice.

Black suits: not really a common choice anymore. Best for formal wear, weddings and funerals in my opinion. Dark charcoal or dark navy blue make better choices. Of course, wear whatever you feel is best. :)

mountainman3520

Reaction score
I'm liking these:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7715_1_40000000001_-1?style=7715

Allen Edmonds Fifth Street Boots

I'll look for them in a store to try on.

I stopped by the Alden store in SF one time and didn't really see anything I loved. But maybe that's because they didn't have any nice boots! haha

Ideally I'd probably be wearing something ridiculous like alligator boots. But I don't have any alligator dress boots. Yet.

-----------------------------
Correction! They didn't have this one at the Alden store when I visited but I found it online and its very nice. Cordovan leather would be great.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...d-4060_ald_m_cap_toe_boot_shell_cordovan.html

Last edited:

mountainman3520

Reaction score
I got two of the HF Beacon suits tailored and after a few tweaks they fit great.

I wore the black herringbone on Wednesday and the navy vertical stripe on Thursday, both for big customer meetings.

Loved them. I think they were by far the nicest looking suits in a room filled with suits.

Soon I will post photos of 3 grey choices and ask for input before I choose which to keep.

BP805

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with/opinions on what HF refers to as their "travelers fabric" in the Majogony Collection travelers suits?

First post here, long time lurking around...

I would also like to know more about the HF Traveler line suits. Has anyone worn one or seen one in person? I'm thinking about buying one but havent seen them in person (found a good deal). Is the fabric super 150s like the Tasmanian line, or is it something of a lesser thread count? I know that it is made of the Loro Piana "Rain System" fabric that is coated on either the back or front side with some water repellant chemical. Basically want to know if it still looks and feels like a mainline Beacon suit, if the drape is affected in any way, or if the fabric feels/wears differently. Hopefully someone has some experience with them and can comment. Thanks to anyone who can help out!

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score

First post here, long time lurking around...

I would also like to know more about the HF Traveler line suits.  Has anyone worn one or seen one in person?  I'm thinking about buying one but havent seen them in person (found a good deal).  Is the fabric super 150s like the Tasmanian line, or is it something of a lesser thread count?  I know that it is made of the Loro Piana "Rain System" fabric that is coated on either the back or front side with some water repellant chemical.  Basically want to know if it still looks and feels like a mainline Beacon suit, if the drape is affected in any way, or if the fabric feels/wears differently.  Hopefully someone has some experience with them and can comment.  Thanks to anyone who can help out!

We sell many of them, both off the rack and Made-to-Measure. I have not had any problems and with HF's new make (lighter canvas and more handwork) they perform very well. Comparing it to the 150sTaz, it is a little beefier, but that's part of "performance" fabrics. I recommend it if you do any amount of travel and need to look fresh for the meeting coming from the airport.

DFWtailor

Reaction score
All you see is SLIM fit, problem is not all of us are slim, and a fat guy in a slim fit suit even at a larger size looks rediculous! Just saying

1986Music

Reaction score
Quick question for everybody: I noticed a beacon model mahogany HF suit at a local shop, solid gray, for $450 and grabbed it. I think it's pretty hard to find a standard size (40R) for this price...am I correct (fits well, minimal alterations would be required - just stitching buttons and hemmed pants of course)? I've never seen a gray one that low in two years of looking.

Last edited:

mhdena

Reaction score

And finally the third HF Beacon suit, which I returned. This suit looked like a fairly standard charcoal from a distance when I ordered it online. The first photo below looks similar to the website photos. But when I received it and opened it, I knew immediately that it was too casual. This suit is called "nailhead" due to the weave pattern of tiny dots of a different color. Its nice feeling fabric, also the Tasmanian 150, but is a more casual every-day suit rather than a fancy formal big customer meeting suit. I don't wear a suit unless I'm in a formal situation so I have little use for a casual suit, hence this went back to the store. If sure it will be a great find for someone. Close-up below of the nailhead fabric . . . you can see the pattern of little white dots.
I don't know where you formed the idea of a casual suit, I would have kept it.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to purchase a Hickey Freeman Addison for Nordstrom suit from EBay and have few questions about the fit. For reference, I usually go with 34R or 36S Suit Supply suits in their Napoli cut and have it tailored accordingly. BB Fitzgeralt cut in 36S is a little big in the shoulders. That being said, should I consider the HF Addison in 36R? Are the shoulders heavily padded? How is placement of the armholes? I noticed the pants have an 8" drop and a single pleat. Do they fit at least a little slim?

Thanks in advance

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

Looking to purchase a Hickey Freeman Addison for Nordstrom suit from EBay and have few questions about the fit. For reference, I usually go with 34R or 36S Suit Supply suits in their Napoli cut and have it tailored accordingly. BB Fitzgeralt cut in 36S is a little big in the shoulders. That being said, should I consider the HF Addison in 36R? Are the shoulders heavily padded? How is placement of the armholes? I noticed the pants have an 8" drop and a single pleat. Do they fit at least a little slim?

Thanks in advance

Based on what you are saying, don't think you want the Addison. It is their traditional fit with structured shoulders. Read the second paragraph in this description:

http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/charcoal-tasmanian-suit-addison/45304712a003/product

Beacon model may be closer to what you want.

http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/charcoal-tasmanian-suit-beacon/45304712b003/product

ZainL

Reaction score
Was wondering if $1000 for hickey freeman beacon in charcoal or navy blue is a good value.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Saw this HF suit at the Rack for $599. Original retail is $1495. It has a square yellow label that says "Hickey Freeman New York Est. 1899". Is this good stuff?

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MOST, but not all, HF suits at Last Call or The Rack have a sticker suggesting the MRSP was $1200-1400 but actually were made for Last Call or the Rack to be sold for that "reduced" price. It's the only price it was ever intended to be sold for.

So it's probably a half canvassed suit, at best. Not a bad suit, just not the bargain they are trying to suggest it is.

Having said that, once in a blue moon I've spotted a true Addison or Beacon, etc at Last Call that began its life at a Neiman Marcus store. Rare but I've seen them, but never in my size. One of those for $599 or $699 is a good value

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads