• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BigRed

Reaction score
Just curious as to what the opinions are here on the forum of Hickey Freeman suits?

Thank you

Bugsy

Reaction score
IMO they have offer good piece goods, great construction in very traditional fits. I have several and feel they are great value.

BigRed

Reaction score
I guess I'm having a hard time to pull the trigger on one because my perception of them has always been that there somewhat of an "old man" suit.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HF makes for Burberry, and they're new stuff is cut slimmer while still being trad American.

Overall, good quality stuff.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I don't own any, but I've tried them on. If we're talking about their main line (not Hickey or a department store spec line), I think the construction and the fabric seemed excellent. I only think of them as "old man suits" to the extent that not a lot of young guys have the ability to drop $1,500 on a suit. If a Hickey Freeman fits you well, I'm sure you'll look better in it than a more fashion-forward "young guy" suit. A buddy of mine picked one up for around $550 not too long ago, and the fabric was beautiful. The shoulders were especially soft as well (a huge plus in my book).

BigRed

Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying a Canali suit but just recently took a look at a Hickey Freeman. So I was kind of curious as to how these two lines compare to each other...

69clyde

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigRed
I've been thinking about buying a Canali suit but just recently took a look at a Hickey Freeman. So I was kind of curious as to how these two lines compare to each other...
Canali is excellent, fully canvassed and great attention to detail, i have both and consider them on par... many would prefer to have the made in italy tag to union made in the united states, but i would take either...

escheriff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigRed
Just curious as to what the opinions are here on the forum of Hickey Freeman suits?

Thank you

Great suits. Well-made and fully canvassed, albeit with a lot of machine work. And the value is even better whn you consider that you can routinely find them under $600 on sale at Saks outlets.

I think that they are made in America is a good thing. 'merican!

But their styling is often a bit pedestrian, although I understand they have in the last few years released a number of cuts with trimmer and more flamboyant silhouttes. I own an Oakbrook cut, and it's very conservative.

For American made, though, Oxxford is still the best. Filene's Basement and the Neiman Marcus outlet often have their Mason cut, my favorite cut (stronger shoulder and more pronounced drop than most American suits), for Hickey Freeman MSRP prices.

khaki sack

Reaction score
HF suits are fine.

The real question is ,will they make more mature men look like young fashion victims or gigolos?

Answer: no.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Well made conservative suits - even better if you get them at a deep discount.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can routinely find them as low as $300-400 online or at discount outlets. Their Presidential line is also superb.

Dinky89484

Reaction score
Are Brooks Brother suits on par with HF suits or is one far in away better than the other?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanguard line is more modern. Madison is very traditional, but can be waist suppressed. I haven't worn their other lines. However, the Presidential and Bespoke lines have a lot more handwork and are very nice. Problem is, I've paid between $400 and $600 for my HF suits and $200-$400 for sportjackets and I've never seen the Presidential and Bespoke lines at Nordstrom Rack or Syms or Filenes.

I wouldn't buy the HF Collection or one of the other diffusion lines. If it doesn't have the HF embroidered on the inside jacket hip pocket and isn't fully canvassed I'm not interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads