• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freeman signs with Ralph Lauren

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score

@TonyThe Tailor: Is it really that easy to transfer designs/construction from one maker to another? Color me skeptical. I have a bad feeling Polo is about to revert to a more relaxed, "Americanized" fit.

It's all about the paper. Especially with today's CAD/CAM cutting, it will be basically a seamless operation. I'm excited about the new things happening at Hickey and have spoken with Granovsky to get his assurance that everything is on the right track.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can attest that that HF can make a slim-fitting suit since I have a C series ("Chelsea") suit and it is very close to BB's Fitz cut.

If HF cuts RLP suits close to a C cut, I'm happy.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really doesn't seem like a huge contract at $1M.

I assume that this is a small contract with the possibility of more business if HF comes through. Wouldn't make sense for this to be a complete switch on day one.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I'm sure RL will specify the cut. I think the increasing costs of shipping will increase the amount of domestic manufacturing. We are seeing it in other industries.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was searching on ebay when I came across this jackets:

So...or Corneliani changed its label, or (all or a part of) sportcoats are already no longer made by Corneliani since last season.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was searching on ebay when I came across this jackets:

So...or Corneliani changes its label, or (all or a part of) sportcoats are already no longer made by Corneliani since last season.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I saw these labels in the most recent collection. Retail price was about half the Corneliani price so I doubt they are made by them.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found this (one month old) article in italian about the "Abital" actual situation (the factory owned by Corneliani where Polo RL garments where made)

http://rassegna-stampa.veneziepost....l_a_rischio_200_posti_di_lavoro/#.U3YzSNJ_tMg

The article says that the contract between RL and Corneliani expired this year after 15 years and they didn't found an economic agreement to renew it, Polo consider Corneliani prices way too high.

So the switch to HF it was probably just an economic decision, more than a "proudly made in usa" thing.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads