• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herringbone Australia calls in Administrators...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
It's an absolute tragedy that stores like this die while chains like Roger David survive.

Agreed.

How do chains like CEO, Marcs, Morrissey et al, which sell overpriced, poorly-designed, poorly-made rubbish survive, whilst Herringbone is suffering from financial problems and may fold?

Dingeaux

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
How do chains like CEO, Marcs, Morrissey et al, which sell overpriced, poorly-designed, poorly-made rubbish survive, whilst Herringbone is suffering from financial problems and may fold?

With attitudes like this, it's hardly surprising:

Originally Posted by The Australian, 10th Dec 2008
IT started with bad mortgage lending to the American underclass. But it has become an upper-class Australian crisis led by a finance sector recession. For symbols, look no further than the collapse of Herringbone, retailer of cufflinked $200 shirts for the powdered nancy-boy finance executive.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I think the desire for "fast fashion"is rather strong in Australia. Also, people don't really know any better. Marketing, and not personal style, are what really work.

I did think that was going to change, with MTO and bespoke on the rise. However, with herringbone going, one of the only quality RTW providers available. Especially here in Brisbane! We'll have nothing left!

Here's hoping that the lads at The Cloakroom survive.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Hmmmm. I think the desire for "fast fashion"is rather strong in Australia. Also, people don't really know any better. Marketing, and not personal style, are what really work.

I did think that was going to change, with MTO and bespoke on the rise. However, with herringbone going, one of the only quality RTW providers available. Especially here in Brisbane! We'll have nothing left!

Here's hoping that the lads at The Cloakroom survive.

Im just hoping Herringbone gets it together and pulls through. I mean even if they do get bailed out, there's no guarantee that the quality remain the same. You see it happen to stores all the type, shifting production of suits and shirts, every few months just to save a buck and squeeze out the profits. Obviously very important factors to running a business but I think for a shop like Herringbone its good to retain or improve the quality. That sets it apart from the rest.

I imagine sometimes how The Cloakroom survive. They do market themselves very well but I think they have a lot to learn about tailoring and the quality just isn't there yet!!!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by plotter
PhatGuido is going to be soooo pissed.
- not really, I'm more bummed about Ethan's future - FYI- I live in HKG now.. Think Chan.. - I'm more pissed with a member of the forum who commit to purchase something from me (such as a BV wallet) then go MIA after I do the right thing..
Originally Posted by BRITINLA
Ethan just updated his blog, seems he is in Japan.
- actually, no.. He was in Japan last month

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- not really, I'm more bummed about Ethan's future
- FYI- I live in HKG now.. Think Chan..
- I'm more pissed with a member of the forum who commit to purchase something from me (such as a BV wallet) then go MIA after I do the right thing..

- actually, no.. He was in Japan last month

- based from your pix wearing his creations, I wouldn't worry at all where he ends up later- he seems talented and skilled enough.
- is HKG a longterm thing now?
-oooh!

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Agreed.

I was surprised to see they have 13 stores Australia-wide. That's a lot given their limited market. Here in Melbourne they have 2 stores within one block of each other and a concession in David Jones as well ... plus they must have spent an absolute fortune on advertising not long ago with things like a billboard at Sydney airport. Hope they find a buyer although I wouldn't hold my breath in the current climate.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by penguin vic
I was surprised to see they have 13 stores Australia-wide. That's a lot given their limited market. Here in Melbourne they have 2 stores within one block of each other and a concession in David Jones as well ... plus they must have spent an absolute fortune on advertising not long ago with things like a billboard at Sydney airport. Hope they find a buyer although I wouldn't hold my breath in the current climate.

I think that part of Herringbone's problem could well have been that they expanded too much, too quickly. Rather than expanding to meet a demand, they expanded in the hope that demand would follow.

Closing a few of the poorly-performing stores and perhaps concentrating more on concessions in DJs and suchlike, rather than very expensive stand-alone stores, should help to cut costs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads