• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contango

Reaction score
Herring have just started a sale on the website. Mostly their own branded shoes with some Churches and Barker from what I saw in my sizes.

Odradek

Reaction score

Just to give you peace of mind until the shoes arrive, I wear a 7.5UK in both the 026 and the capital last. The 026 last in the Burgh might be a bit roomier, but you shouldn't need to wear thicker socks or equip an insole. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to size down to a 7 in the 026, no chance. 

Slight correction.... The Herring Burgh is on the 024 last.

00Schneider

Reaction score
Just to give you peace of mind until the shoes arrive, I wear a 7.5UK in both the 026 and the capital last. The 026 last in the Burgh might be a bit roomier, but you shouldn't need to wear thicker socks or equip an insole. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to size down to a 7 in the 026, no chance.

Thanks for the info, now I'm really looking forward to the shipment. What color shoe polish would you recommend? I have Saphir mid brown (and mahogany). It looks like light brown would be too light, so I guess mid brown is okay?

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
Slight correction.... The Herring Burgh is on the 024 last.
Yeah, I didn't quite remember if it was the 024 or 026 and was too lazy to check atm. But yes, you are correct.

Thanks for the info, now I'm really looking forward to the shipment. What color shoe polish would you recommend? I have Saphir mid brown (and mahogany). It looks like light brown would be too light, so I guess mid brown is okay?
I mostly use Herring's own polish that they shipped out with the shoes (labelled "tan"), but occasionally use Saphir neutral. General rule is if you don't want to modify the color, go lighter. But they do ship out a can of their own wax, specifically meant for that particular shade, so you shouldn't have to worry about using a too dark of a polish.

I too eagerly waited for the summer sale, but frankly couldn't find anything decent in my size. Glad I took a great deal on a pair of Sanders Diplomats last week...

Odradek

Reaction score

I too eagerly waited for the summer sale, but frankly couldn't find anything decent in my size. Glad I took a great deal on a pair of Sanders Diplomats last week...

Sanders Belgrades are on my wish list.
Is there somewhere selling them at a good discount?

Last edited:

00Schneider

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't quite remember if it was the 024 or 026 and was too lazy to check atm. But yes, you are correct.

I mostly use Herring's own polish that they shipped out with the shoes (labelled "tan"), but occasionally use Saphir neutral. General rule is if you don't want to modify the color, go lighter. But they do ship out a can of their own wax, specifically meant for that particular shade, so you shouldn't have to worry about using a too dark of a polish.

Thanks for the info. Just received them (tan shoe polish included). Like I said I need size 7,5 for the capital last, the Burgh boots in 7,5 are rather tight in the toe box area (and a little bit at the heel). Especially when I wear thick socks. Can you confirm that the leather will stretch in these areas? I like them but I fear that I might need size 8 if they won't stretch.

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Just received them (tan shoe polish included). Like I said I need size 7,5 for the capital last, the Burgh boots in 7,5 are rather tight in the toe box area (and a little bit at the heel). Especially when I wear thick socks. Can you confirm that the leather will stretch in these areas? I like them but I fear that I might need size 8 if they won't stretch.
Hard to say, haven't given any real thought whether my pair have stretch significantly or not. I can confirm that the heel has stretched (width-wise) and molded to my heels specifications. I cannot comment on the toe box area, as it's a bit too roomy for me. I would advice you to use your own judgement on whether to size up or not, but if the toe box is snug, e.g. not long enough, your probably out of luck. But again if it's just a tad too tight, you might be able to live with it (again, if you care to do so).

In my experience the shoes will stretch width-wise to some degree almost always, but very rarely, if ever, length-wise.

Sanders Belgrades are on my wish list.
Is there somewhere selling them at a good discount?

Sanders Diplomats are rarely on sale, but then again not many online stores stock them at all. The best deal for a pair of diplomats I've found online is the one over at AFPOS, when you use the summer sale code (-10%). I'm not sure it's valid anymore though, but you can locate it from their own affiliate thread.

I was lucky enough to get -25% off from a local store, making the shoes incredible good value. Should receive them in 2-3 weeks, will post a review then. But in my opinion, the diplomats are rather good value for your money even at retail.

Last edited:

Odradek

Reaction score
Sadly Herring have jumped on the "let's stick big white clunky soles onto brogues" bandwagon.

I blame Grenson for this stupid fad, but other companies should avoid lowering their standards like this.

Just had an e-mail from Herring saying that many prices in their sale have now dropped to half original price.
The sale has only been running since Monday.
Must be a dearth of buyers, and they've realised that there's really not much on offer.

Mannequin

Reaction score
Just had an e-mail from Herring saying that many prices in their sale have now dropped to half original price.
The sale has only been running since Monday.
Must be a dearth of buyers, and they've realised that there's really not much on offer.
They didn't reduce the price of the two pairs I was looking at, which annoyed me. Mostly stuff they can't sell.

Odradek

Reaction score

They didn't reduce the price of the two pairs I was looking at, which annoyed me. Mostly stuff they can't sell.

A lot of shoes that aren't in their regular line-up at all, but just pop up out of nowhere at sale time.
Increasingly shoes made in Spain and not UK these days too.

Mannequin

Reaction score
It mostly annoys me because I was told to wait for the sale because there would be discounts in the Classic range. Apparently I mistook that for all the Classic range. I wasn't expecting a large reduction either. As soon as they discount the Carnaby or Lambeth shoes I'll jump in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads