• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

roytonboy

Reaction score
Ah Venice.....

Nice little story from a few years ago. I took my girlfriend there for a few days to celebrate her birthday. On the evening of the day itself we found a nice restaurant which had just opened it's doors. As we stepped in the owner asked if we had a reservation and we replied that we hadn't. "I'm sorry" he said "but it's Saturday night and we're fully booked" As we turned to leave he said ,"Err, if you can be finished by nine o'clock, I can fit you in". We were found a table and as more clients arrived I told my girlfriend that I thought he had only let us in because of the way we were dressed. She was wearing a lovely olive and white patterned dress and I a fine wool Italian suit in navy, a subtly striped pale blue shirt and black English brogues (of course!). "No, it's because we were early" she replied. Soon after, another British couple arrived at the door dressed, sadly, as many Brits abroad, both wearing baggy T-shirts, shorts and trainers. As they had no reservation they were quickly shown the the way out. Five minutes later a well dressed Italian family arrived, again with no reservation but, after a little discussion, sure enough, they were found a table. At this point Julie had to concede that the way we were dressed had indeed influenced the owner's change of heart. We had a lovely evening, rounded off by the waitress giving Julie a hug as we left for showing her how to make a 'proper' cup of tea. It shows what just a little effort can achieve.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Ah Venice.....

Nice little story from a few years ago. I took my girlfriend there for a few days to celebrate her birthday. On the evening of the day itself we found a nice restaurant which had just opened it's doors. As we stepped in the owner asked if we had a reservation and we replied that we hadn't. "I'm sorry" he said "but it's Saturday night and we're fully booked" As we turned to leave he said ,"Err, if you can be finished by nine o'clock, I can fit you in". We were found a table and as more clients arrived I told my girlfriend that I thought he had only let us in because of the way we were dressed. She was wearing a lovely olive and white patterned dress and I a fine wool Italian navy suit, a subtly striped pale blue shirt and black English brogues (of course!). "No, it's because we were early" she replied. Soon after, another British couple arrived at the door dressed, sadly, as many Brits abroad, both wearing baggy T-shirts, shorts and trainers. As they had no reservation they were quickly shown the the way out. Five minutes later a well dressed Italian family arrived, again with no reservation but, after a little discussion, sure enough, they were found a table. It this point Julie had to concede that the way we were dressed had indeed influenced the owner's change of heart. We had a lovely evening, rounded off by the waitress giving Julie a hug as we left for showing her how to make a 'proper' cup of tea. It just shows what just a little effort can achieve.
This is an interesting story. It reminds me that in France for several years now some towns (mostly seaside) ask their visitors to be correctly dressed when going to the local restaurants.
I reckon it is much nicer for everyone when clients do a little effort indeed!
Good to see you here (and now) @roytonboy!

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1602691143728.png

Out for lunch at a pub today.

Swampster

Reaction score
I like that check and the contrast of the pale blue shirt looks good with it, what colour are the trousers ?
Thanks.
They are dark green. That was partly accidental - we have one of those taps that at times will gush straight at the groin so I had to change from tan trousers this morning before leaving for work.
The handkerchief was a bit of a rushed pick this AM. It looks okay but I think I could find a better one.

Not at all ! (in the Opening Post : "But there are some time, some situations, to dress up, and we could discuss that too.")
Nice find, looks more English style (slanted pockets, slightly padded at the shoulders) than American. What's the brand ?
Ede and Ravenscroft (mistyped in the last post). They claim to be the oldest firm of tailors in the world.
The material and cut certainly encourage one not to slouch - quite handy as a corset :) Nice and warm - we are having to leave windows open at work so I wanted another warm jacket.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
They are dark green. That was partly accidental - we have one of those taps that at times will gush straight at the groin so I had to change from tan trousers this morning before leaving for work.
The handkerchief was a bit of a rushed pick this AM. It looks okay but I think I could find a better one.

Ede and Ravenscroft (mistyped in the last post). They claim to be the oldest firm of tailors in the world.
The material and cut certainly encourage one not to slouch - quite handy as a corset :) Nice and warm - we are having to leave windows open at work so I wanted another warm jacket.
I am experimenting more with colours,I find some colours hard to match,I have just bought some corduroy trousers in 'light Mole' its a sort of green/brown/grey,the trousers look good with most of my brown shoes but I havent got a clue what colour shirt or jacket goes best with it.
I dont want to look like I am dressing up as a gamekeeper.

Swampster

Reaction score
I am experimenting more with colours,I find some colours hard to match,I have just bought some corduroy trousers in 'light Mole' its a sort of green/brown/grey,the trousers look good with most of my brown shoes but I havent got a clue what colour shirt or jacket goes best with it.
Dressing as a gamekeeper didn't do Mellors any harm :) Sounds like the cords ought to go with a range of earthy colours.
I find these flannel trousers easier to match than some chinos I have in green - they were described by someone as being like ambulance crew trousers.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I would say a pale blue shirt and a Navy or brown jacket maybe ? If you could post a picture of that "light mole" trouser it would probably help...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads