• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This I'd say a fundamental point, and I'm glad to see that other gentlemen share it.
I came to the lenght of removing the tags from my ties, since I'm annoyed by people grabbing them to look who's the maker (in Italy it might happen).
To the stupid question "nice tie, who's is it" I usually answer "it's mine, I paid for it"
Never had any label inspection issues. Must be different concepts of personal space between Italy and the U.K. The tie tag is usually on the keeper which I need to make use of. I don’t do Italian sprezzatura.

Got some decent labels though Drakes, Charvet, Liberty etc.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Never had any label inspection issues. Must be different concepts of personal space between Italy and the U.K. The tie tag is usually on the keeper which I need to make use of. I don’t do Italian sprezzatura.

Got some decent labels though Drakes, Charvet, Liberty etc.
Yes i agree with that. Nothing worse that the Back tie flopping around, so i always make good use of the keeper/ tag. And as i also have some nice numbers (Arnys, Hermes, Lanvin etc), i wouldn't want to remove the labels.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1593751349286.png

One other thing about J Crew is that they sometimes have collaborations,I found this Gitman new with tags and still in the bag a while back on Ebay and I was the only bidder,very heavy weight cotton,Gitmans are very expensive here.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1417252
One other thing about J Crew is that they sometimes have collaborations,I found this Gitman new with tags and still in the bag a while back on Ebay and I was the only bidder,very heavy weight cotton,Gitmans are very expensive here.

That’s a nice shirt, Gitman vintage is certainly high-quality. Yeah they’re usually $120-200 here as well, kinda steep. Might as well have a shirt made to order in lieu of paying RRP though.
J. Crew has done collabs with many heritage brands, such as Baracuta, Barbour, Mackintosh, etc.
They sometimes have some really interesting items— though they’re sold out long before I see them.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
J. Crew has done collabs with many heritage brands, such as Baracuta, Barbour, Mackintosh, etc.
They sometimes have some really interesting items— though they’re sold out long before I see them.
I remember a Baracuta That was just a basic G9, apparently they just added the JCrew tag on it...
Some nice items in their "Wallace and Barnes" higher end collection (Chore coats, Military inspired items...)
EDIT : i remember last time i went to their London shop a few months ago they had a Barbour collab in a nice colour, but the material seemed thinner than on usual Barbour jackets

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice shirt, Gitman vintage is certainly high-quality. Yeah they’re usually $120-200 here as well, kinda steep. Might as well have a shirt made to order in lieu of paying RRP though.
They did a nice Field jacket a few years ago in British Millerain material,quite expensive but a few came on Ebay,not in my size of course.
I also saw that they did a 'military barn jacket' with Alpha Industries,as you say some interesting items.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Stan Ray as some interesting stuff, this shirt seems huge though.
Their Fatigues are nice, especially as they do them in different fits IIRC.

Got some Fatigues by a Japanese make called "Back Number".

Back Number fatigues.JPG

They are pretty slim compared to the real military garment. The rise is not as high as on the Stan Rays , but still OK.

Back Number fatigues back.jpg

I usually wear them with Adidas GAT (German Army Trainers)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Speaking of JCrew i've just red they are in bankruptcy, like Brooks Brothers...
Of course in both cases the widespread store closings due to coronavirus didn't help... And apparently both companies were already deeply in debt...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm flying this week (which in these times is a rare and strange thing, at least in Asia with all the closed borders and mutual quarantines) and was thinking about something I've observed often particularly on Cathay, SQ and Quantas: Brits dressing up to fly and Asians/Aussies not. What do you do faced with the prospect of 8, 16 or even 30+ hours of cattle class?

There was a rotund British gentleman in his late 50s that I still remember for wearing a suit (with padded 80s shoulders) and tie in the particularly cramped new 10-seat-wide BA "world traveller" from London to Hong Kong. I thought he looked mighty uncomfortable and the people on his left and right did not seem too happy either.

To some extent everyone blanks everyone else in such conditions, just like on public transport and so I think the antipodean habit of effectively wearing pyjamas to fly is not a bad one, but it leaves one with the short dash to the car at arrivals to contend with.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I'm flying this week (which in these times is a rare and strange thing, at least in Asia with all the closed borders and mutual quarantines) and was thinking about something I've observed often particularly on Cathay, SQ and Quantas: Brits dressing up to fly and Asians/Aussies not. What do you do faced with the prospect of 8, 16 or even 30+ hours of cattle class? (...)
This is an interesting topic.
I don't fly much for years now (at least long flights). I dislike overdressed people in plane as much as pajamas/joggers/shorts style tourists.
I try to dress in a comfier and practical way of course. Nothing fancy, but quality clothing.
Of course better to look reasonably good if by example Scarlett was at the seat nearby.
The only celebrity i had at the nearby seat once was Lemmy from Motorhead (mentioned the smell before :-D)...
The weather at the place of arrival will determine the choice of outerwear.
I will usually wear a polo with a cardigan (JS or FP for example).
Jeans (Lee, Levi's) or Chinos.
Loafers (Weejuns, Sebagos, easy to put on & off).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy (if such a thing is possible at the moment) 4th of July! Soulive from NMWA.

IMG_0809.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads