• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1497079
This is a picture that we took earlier in the year when we were in lockdown.
I think thats as casual as I would want to dress,I wore trainers/sneakers for long enough and I prefer other alternatives to them now.
Really I dont like wearing Jeans that much either and I would rather wear Corduroy trousers for casual wear.
Having said that the clothes are practical for light rain and going shopping etc,the shoes however are not practical for driving.
Curiously i am back (sometimes) to sneakers for a couple of years, after totally stopped wearing any for at least 20 years.
I prefer them black, leather (or looking like it), and rather plain.
Typical "practical casual" footwear for me.

BR01.jpg

Adidas GAT

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a "nostalgic" craving from my student days, even though at that time they were Dexter, an iconic brand that unfortunately disappeared several years ago, I bought the DORKING II model by Cheaney, GYW beef roll Penny Loafers with a “strange” green Itshide sole, as a casual model for this time.

I found “200" last, designed for this type of loafer, particularly comfortable: fit with my feet is perfect, which is not easy because they are thin, with a low instep and little volume. As usual for me with the Cheaney lasts, I went down half a size from what I use in other brands, without this having meant feeling narrow or tight. I wanted to replace some Bass Weejungs that I ended up giving away because their poor quality: some time ago I would have considered them "normal", but to the extent that you learn and know, the differences with a quality footwear jump to light.

Some pictures from my cell phone just to illustrate:

0fcdccd6c806e035e351ffeba41e872e.jpg

cb85a45082e73f14294a624c51132fcc.jpg

710a9928a0254f7574cb81add20110a3.jpg

xeoniq

Reaction score
Sneakers/Running shoes/kicks (whatever you want to call them) are funny things. If you wear a pair in a more CM style fit, many classicists (I hesitate to call them snobs) will turn up their noses. I've read "Burn them with fire!" more than a few times on that side of the forum.

But there are literally thousands of brands, styles, shapes and colorways to choose from and I've found getting the right ones that work in a fit can be a real challenge. Way harder than slipping on a pair of polished black wingtips with some charcoal flannel trousers. I love my dress shoes, but I've definitely grown to appreciate the skill it takes to work a pair of sneakers into a casual look and still look sharp.

I am partial to Adidas Stan Smiths in all black with the laces swapped for black boot laces. They look rather toned down compared to more formal leather shoes and aren't as severe as the sneaker boots I usually wear. I think for casual "menswear" they are a decent option and they are cheap, easily available and comfortable. I usually would wear them with black or muted cotton chinos and a tucked in t-shirt or short sleeve button up. "Smart" but not really "nice"; I'd wear more luxe footwear for "nice" looks (Lanvin elastic dress shoes, Bally Oxfords, etc).

I'd wear such smart looks styled with the Stan Smiths more often than nice/luxe looks lately. There are many contexts where it might be inappropriate to look overly dressed. At the same time you don't want to be walking around with a pair of retro brightly coloured Nike Jordans or similar with your "smart" casual outfit. I feel that looks off and not in a cool "juxtaposition" but more an attention seeking "flex" where looking at the shoe is somehow more important than considering the wearer holistically. Rather than appearing casual, those loud sneakers give me that "overly dressed" impression, just in another direction.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would look so much better with a pair of good quality black shoes.

@Kingstonian I understand your point; of course I'd never step in a British Court (and in some Italian ones) wearing anything but black oxfords.
My kind of job has never been subject to lockdown so far, thus I still can, and like to, play between formal and informal (with not always consistent results though ...)

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this point, the list of things that I think "aren't right for me" is probably a mile long! Fair Isle sweaters, safari jackets, trench coats, tassel loafers, striped sweaters and shirts, pleated pants. It goes on and on!

Tassel loafers are not as bad as kiltie loafers. I believe there are associations with tassel loafers in the USA which don’t apply here. Kiltie style was based on golf shoes and modern golf shoes don’t use the protective leather flap. That said, the flap never had individual fringes it was one piece and gave the appearance of fringes without being cut through. The golf shoe flap did not curl up like kilties either.

Striped sweaters I agree with. I really like striped shirts though.

I also own everything else apart from Fairisle knitwear. I like that though it was last in vogue during the 1970s.

A proper raincoat still appeals, though current trends are to chance getting wet or wear stuff more in keeping with a country rambler’s walk.

Safari jackets are good for Summer with decent pockets and also handy for protecting knitwear in winter.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tassel loafers are not as bad as kiltie loafers. I believe there are associations with tassel loafers in the USA which don’t apply here. Kiltie style was based on golf shoes and modern golf shoes don’t use the protective leather flap. That said, the flap never had individual fringes it was one piece and gave the appearance of fringes without being cut through. The golf shoe flap did not curl up like kilties either.

Striped sweaters I agree with. I really like striped shirts though.

I also own everything else apart from Fairisle knitwear. I like that though it was last in vogue during the 1970s.

A proper raincoat still appeals, though current trends are to chance getting wet or wear stuff more in keeping with a country rambler’s walk.

Safari jackets are good for Summer with decent pockets and also handy for protecting knitwear in winter.

With tassel loafers, I simply don't like them. I feel like they're just too busy and delicate looking and anytime I could think of using them, I'd just rather go with something else, like a penny loafer. By the way, @Mercurio that's a very nice pair you picked up!

Striped sweaters are one of those things that I like in theory. There was some discussion at the start of this thread about Breton sweaters and I really liked the look of some of those. And of course, Cary Grant looked great in To Catch a Thief
cary grant to catch a thief.jpg

But (for whatever reason) when I put one on I think I just look goofy. I guess horizontal stripes just aren't for me. But maybe I'll give them one more shot.

Fair Isle: I'd given up on them years ago. Then I saw @Gerry Nelson wearing one in a few photos and was inspired. But I'm still fighting with them. Maybe they just look too "cute" on me or I haven't found the right one.

Classic trench coats are just too busy looking for me and, honestly, I feel like I'm trying to dress like someone else when I wear one. But I have a couple of macs in my closet that get some use. I agree with what you say about the "country rambler’s walk" look. The trend of wearing Barbours, M-65 field jackets or technical outerwear over a suit or tailored jacket is hopefully fading fast. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, especially when they're are so many other stylish options available.

Safari jackets fall into the same category as trench coats for me. In my mind, they conjure up an image of a specific type of person who can pull them off. And I ain't that guy. I guess my style leans a little "cowboy" than "big game hunter". :-D

Not saying I don't like those particular pieces (well, except for tassel loafers). Others can wear them well and I can definitely appreciate how they could work in a wardrobe and where they could be used. And there are times I certainly wish I had whatever it takes (the right personality? confidence? body shape?) to wear them myself. But I just can't and I'm long past the point of arguing with my gut instincts.

Cheers!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With tassel loafers, I simply don't like them. I feel like they're just too busy and delicate looking and anytime I could think of using them, I'd just rather go with something else, like a penny loafer. By the way, @Mercurio that's a very nice pair you picked up!

Striped sweaters are one of those things that I like in theory. There was some discussion at the start of this thread about Breton sweaters and I really liked the look of some of those. And of course, Cary Grant looked great in To Catch a Thief

But (for whatever reason) when I put one on I think I just look goofy. I guess horizontal stripes just aren't for me. But maybe I'll give them one more shot.

Fair Isle: I'd given up on them years ago. Then I saw @Gerry Nelson wearing one in a few photos and was inspired. But I'm still fighting with them. Maybe they just look too "cute" on me or I haven't found the right one.

Classic trench coats are just too busy looking for me and, honestly, I feel like I'm trying to dress like someone else when I wear one. But I have a couple of macs in my closet that get some use. I agree with what you say about the "country rambler’s walk" look. The trend of wearing Barbours, M-65 field jackets or technical outerwear over a suit or tailored jacket is hopefully fading fast. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, especially when they're are so many other stylish options available.

Safari jackets fall into the same category as trench coats for me. In my mind, they conjure up an image of a specific type of person who can pull them off. And I ain't that guy. I guess my style leans a little "cowboy" than "big game hunter". :-D

Not saying I don't like those particular pieces (well, except for tassel loafers). Others can wear them well and I can definitely appreciate how they could work in a wardrobe and where they could be used. And there are times I certainly wish I had whatever it takes (the right personality? confidence? body shape?) to wear them myself. But I just can't and I'm long past the point of arguing with my gut instincts.

Cheers!
Yeah, tassel loafers are a little fussy for me. Greatly prefer cleaner-looking Penny Loafers like C&J Harvard. Have several and love that they are unlined.
The-Harvard-Loafer-in-Black_8365e_R_2683ea82.jpg

I can do a few striped sweaters but usually wear solids. Paul Stuart makes some bolder stripes in linen. I wore this all summer. Not for everyone I guess.

D2B5278F-874D-4CA0-A413-54ED495B86C3.jpg.jpeg

I wear CM to work and trench coats are definitely part of the wardrobe. A long and thick Inspector Clouseau trench for colder wet days and a lighter indigo blue Burberry for warmer rainy days. Not a big fan of safari jackets as they make me feel like a New York Times reporter on his first trip to Kenya and trying overly hard to look the part. Field jackets, Shirt Jackets, and Chore Coats work better!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Like @JohnAAG, it is not that i don't like some of those items, it's just that they don't work for me. BTW what John said in a previous post about photos (posted on SF or not) "telling right away if a particular piece was right for me or not" was spot on !

Tassel loafers and Kiltie tassel loafers ? Yes (i also like Pennies) !

Got several pairs, my favorite are Church's
Gilles Ile 4.jpg

Striped sweaters or Fairisle sweaters ? No.

Trench coats ? Well despite my user's name, no, Macs for me...

Safari jackets ? No. But i like Field jackets and especially Jungle jackets.

Pleated trousers ? No, Flat front.

Country rambler ? No, i'm more the Midnight rambler type. :devil:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a Weejun-shaped loafer guy myself— have the Harvards which I love, plus the Alden shell #8 “Cape Codder” beefrolls, as well as a pair of their burgundy calf leather full strap pennies. A hoary, eldritch pair of Bass Weejuns(see pic) is what I wear for “house shoes”.

Fairisle pattern. I only have the v-neck slipovers- I love ‘em. I have about four, two of which I’ve had for a dog’s age and wore with my for-many-years-uniform of longwing brogues, jeans,OCBD, and Baracuta G9’s(pre-Lavori über alles).
These days they get less-frequent wear, but go wonderfully under a tweed or corduroy 3-button jacket— typically without a tie —and whipcord trousers. My son and I walk about half a mile to Mass on sundays, etc., so the warmth and layering the fairisle provides is appreciated. I believe my avatar photo has me in a fair isle under a brown tweed and (gasp!)navy chinos.

Trench coat— I can’t pull that off. I see some city gents wearing them with aplomb— but on me it looks too “costume-ish”. I do have three macs though, which are big enough to wear over a suit/jacket... though I will wear them with jeans, OCBD, heavy rugby shirt or brushed Shetland/“Shaggy Dog”, brogue boots/longwings/Quoddy bluchers/Timberland moc boots. Kind of “casual Ivy League”(hey, I’m a New England native!).

Sneakers/trainers/trainees/tennis shoes/whatever- I’m a sneaker whore and have a couple more garish pair(teal with orange sherbet striped ‘Stadt’, and purple with lime green striped ones). 90% of my kicks are Adidas, but also have three pair of New Balance, which I’ve been wearing more of recently for their width due to a painful agnail.
I gravitate toward the more brownish/earthy-colored Adidas, such as the Tobacco, Padiham, Lotherton, etc., as I wear a lot of browns, olives, blues, etc. like @Clouseau , I try to wear what looks good on me. I have ruddy skin and blond/brown hair, so any “loud” colors tend to be “cooler” shades of green and blue, and I steer clear of reds and oranges— though pink works for some reason.
I find that if I match the stripes/markings on the footwear with my jacket or something under it, the shoes don’t “jump out” as much as if they were randomly put on.

@xeoniq mentioned a “holistic” way of dressing. Yeah I sort of try to keep it all homogeneous so one thing doesn’t stick lit immediately. The Devil is in the details!

CF1AB53A-40AB-43E8-AC43-6151FCA9C891.jpeg

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, i started this thread 5 months ago. I am very happy because it attracted posters from diverse backgrounds and styles, and from different countries.

I just want to put a reminder for the new posters that may come here and jump on the bandwagon.
To sum up, the gist of this thread is to speak about our own personal style and how we developed it.
We also like to talk about our items/garments/footwear of predilection and our new purchases.
We are more into quality clothing SW&D or CM casual style, but as there are times to dress up (even if with the actual situation they are becoming rather rare) we can make inroads into CM...

The focus is on us, on you, here and now...

Cheers
C.

Even though I've been working from home since March, I like making an effort. I usually go for a long walk twice a day so that gives me a little extra incentive, being out and about. A few things came together recently for me.
  • I lost a fair amount of weight and all my clothes fit better
  • I found a place where I really like the lighting for my photos
  • I've decided to grow my instagram following
I'm keen to better understand how pieces work together - textures, colours and the overall aesthetic.

The clothes I wear are kind of all over the place, from Japanese streetwear to ivy-ish and I have no qualms about combining them if I feel they work. Over time, I've come to trust my gut more and more.

Case in point, this seersucker jacket:
3f5c348518c8ca54df16219fb136d326224ed7a5.jpg

Not everyone liked how I wore it. Previously, I would have felt more inclined to change it. Now, though. I like what I see. I rationalise that it may not be to everyone's taste and that's cool. I feel like I've been doing this long enough to trust my instinct. I would happily wear this again.

Another thing that's a bit isolating is that while most of the world heads into autumn and winter, we head into spring in Australia. I see all the tweed, fairisle, corduroy and I will be dressed in linen. That said, I go on.even if I might be in the wrong place at the wrong time :)

I will try lots of different things but I try not to stray into the costume-y side of things. What I photograph myself in is what I wear that day. I don't want to dress just for show - comfort and visual appeal are key.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing that's a bit isolating is that while most of the world heads into autumn and winter, we head into spring in Australia. I see all the tweed, fairisle, corduroy and I will be dressed in linen. That said, I go on.even if I might be in the wrong place at the wrong time :)
I will just chime in and say that I really enjoy seeing fits from people in the opposite hemisphere. It's refreshing and keeps things from being too repetitive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads