• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henry Poole

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
3,792
Reaction score
59
Does anybody here have any experience with Henry Poole bespoke suits? It seems like A&S gets most of the attention. I recently found out that my grandfather had suits made by Poole after WWII, so I would like to have one made too.

From their website it seems like they make far more visits to the US than A&S does.

What is the best way to describe Poole's style?

Thank you in advance for the help.
happy.gif
 

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
3,792
Reaction score
59
Here is a pic from their site. I wouldn't go for that pattern (or the vest), but you get the idea.

09_Final_Blue.jpg
 

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
8,984
Reaction score
44
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I recently found out that my grandfather had suits made by Poole after WWII, so I would like to have one made too.

I think that's a great reason.

Henry_Poole_tuxedo.jpg
 

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
2,007
Reaction score
247
poole is the earliest house on the row, if that means anything to you
 

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
40
They are said to have created the first ever dinner jacket, so, if history matters, go Poole. People I know who have been to both A&S and Poole always say that Pool is preferable for their relaxed and friendly staff. I terms of cutting, etc. I would say they are on par.
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,665
Reaction score
20,963
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Here is a pic from their site. I wouldn't go for that pattern (or the vest), but you get the idea.

09_Final_Blue.jpg


Personally I think you should seriously consider that patter and waistcoat - it looks really good!
 

Sator

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
3,083
Reaction score
39
For a long time they were almost synonymous with Savile Row. Past customers have included Napoleon III, Charles Dickens, and Winston Churchill. They nearly went bankrupt when Edward VII died, as the dress obsessed king owed them so much money. Poole make a classically English, moderately structured coat.
 

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
15,054
Reaction score
2,487
I know two forum members that use Poole and both are very happy with the results. They post on the LL more than here, though.

The forums can be very deceiving in that, while they appear to have a very broad reach, sometimes it is really just the same very limited set of people providing information. It only takes two or three posters (or one prolific poster) to create the appearance of a groundswell.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,700
Reaction score
180
Originally Posted by dopey
The forums can be very deceiving in that, while they appear to have a very broad reach, sometimes it is really just the same very limited set of people providing information. It only takes two or three posters (or one prolific poster) to create the appearance of a groundswell.

I don't know about this. I'm surrounded by people wearing Rubinacci, Mimmo Sviglia, and of course, Tom Ford. There are also quite a few in Edwardian cuts....pretty soon, they will be the majority.

Plus, most people appear to wear second hand shoes. I'm not sure what the basis of this phenomena is, but I suspect some sort of shoe-swapping underground.


- B
 

Standard Toaster

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
253
Reaction score
0
On their Wikipedia page it says they're the 'creators' of the dinner suit. Is there any truth to this?
 

Manton

RINO
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,314
Reaction score
2,879
Originally Posted by Standard Toaster
On their Wikipedia page it says they're the 'creators' of the dinner suit. Is there any truth to this?

Yes, or at least, they are not making up out of whole cloth.
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,950
Reaction score
14,542
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I don't know about this. I'm surrounded by people wearing Rubinacci, Mimmo Sviglia, and of course, Tom Ford. There are also quite a few in Edwardian cuts....pretty soon, they will be the majority.

Plus, most people appear to wear second hand shoes. I'm not sure what the basis of this phenomena is, but I suspect some sort of shoe-swapping underground.


- B


TF is the best and you know it brotha!!!
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,700
Reaction score
180
Originally Posted by Fuuma
TF is the best and you know it brotha!!!

He brought sexy back once.

He can bring it back again.


- B
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,950
Reaction score
14,542
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
He brought sexy back once.

He can bring it back again.


- B


Didn't Timberlake steal sexy from him though? Is Ford planning to sue or have a walk off?
 

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
3,792
Reaction score
59
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I don't know about this. I'm surrounded by people wearing Rubinacci, Mimmo Sviglia, and of course, Tom Ford. There are also quite a few in Edwardian cuts....pretty soon, they will be the majority.

Plus, most people appear to wear second hand shoes. I'm not sure what the basis of this phenomena is, but I suspect some sort of shoe-swapping underground.


- B


Vox- what made you gravitate towards A&S (DeBoise) over other Savile Row makers? Have you ruled out H. Huntsman and Poole?
 

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

  • Definitely full canvas only

    Votes: 87 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

    Votes: 87 37.7%
  • Really don't care

    Votes: 25 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

    Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Depends on price

    Votes: 36 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
506,593
Messages
10,590,858
Members
224,285
Latest member
vyzlaw
Top