• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help wanted regarding light brown shoes with a black suit!

Tuzantar

Reaction score
Hey! I'm looking for some quick feedback on my attire for this weekend. Unfortunately I do not have a picture, because my suit is at home with my parents in the country side, and I now live far away to attend law school in the city.

I'm going to my cousins wedding this saturday. I'm planning to wear my black suit I wore for my sort-of-college galla. I wanted to wear a navy one, but I don't really have the money since I don't work but study.

Anyways paired up with my black suit I bought light brown brogue shoes and matching belt. Is this acceptable? Light brown with black suit?

Also to scare you even further, I bought a baby blue silk tie in a special silk factory when I was in China on summer vacation. Handcrafted, very nice.

Do you think I would look like a clown?

Criticism VERY welcome, but I can only do so much. The black suit is non-negotiable since I have no other alternative.

Things I am able to do:

Add/remove a vest to make it either 2 piece or a 3 piece.

Use black brogue shoes + belt instead of light brown ones.

These are the 2 other ties I have in my very limited tie wardrobe:

Sumisura navy blue with white, red and blue multistripe (not purple as it may appear in the photo)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. - [/FONT]http://www.sumisura.com/slips-og-tilbehor/tie-12-06.html

or

Classic Burberry - http://www.davidairey.com/images/brands/burberry-tie.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clown is a fair description. Black suits are little loved here but brown shoes and belt is dreadful. 2/3 piece is up to you, two piece would be more informal for a wedding.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 111 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 99 29.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%