• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP! Suit alterations and off the rack fit check

tcpx

Reaction score
Hi SF’ers,

I just received the following suit today but wanted to hear what alterations I should be looking at aside from the usual sleeve and trousers length

I know that there are some non negotiables/minimal wiggle room for certain things such as suit length, so I wanted to have expert eyes to please provide feedback on whether or not this is a keeper or if I should return it.

Pics are here:

Apologies in advance for the messy background and thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders fit well, so that's good. There's an odd bit of pulling in the back, round about where the jacket curves in above the vents. A tailor should be able to address that and the length.

What brand is the suit? It needs a few adjustments, but I personally wouldn't do them if it isn't even canvassed.

tcpx

Reaction score
The shoulders fit well, so that's good. There's an odd bit of pulling in the back, round about where the jacket curves in above the vents. A tailor should be able to address that and the length.

What brand is the suit? It needs a few adjustments, but I personally wouldn't do them if it isn't even canvassed.

Thank you for the feedback! The adjustments seem reasonable and the only one I’m concerned about is the length. Based on the pics, do you think a reduction of 1-1.5 inches would suffice without throwing the balance of the pockets?

the suit is Tom Ford so it is canvassed, got it for a pretty steep discount so I do want to keep it but only if it’ll work!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback! The adjustments seem reasonable and the only one I’m concerned about is the length. Based on the pics, do you think a reduction of 1-1.5 inches would suffice without throwing the balance of the pockets?

the suit is Tom Ford so it is canvassed, got it for a pretty steep discount so I do want to keep it but only if it’ll work!

I had thought so (because of the lapels and shoulder line) but wanted to make sure.

I'm not sure the body length has to be shortened very much - you still want the jacket to cover your backside fully, and the length seems decent to me. I wouldn't go higher than 1 inch, and leave the sleeves to your tailor. By the way, make sure your tailor is a good one.

tcpx

Reaction score
I had thought so (because of the lapels and shoulder line) but wanted to make sure.

I'm not sure the body length has to be shortened very much - you still want the jacket to cover your backside fully, and the length seems decent to me. I wouldn't go higher than 1 inch, and leave the sleeves to your tailor. By the way, make sure your tailor is a good one.

You’re awesome, thank you again for the feedback. The tailor that I’m going with is a local retired tailor from Harry Rosen - have heard nothing but great things about him so I’m looking forward to seeing the final tailored suit

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jacket looks a size too big. Chest and back blades are very full. I see a sweater and a shirt under the jacket and it still looks big.

Length should be about the tip of your thumb on your left hand, not any shorter or the pockets will look too low in relation to the hem. Would still be border line too long at that length.
Ask the tailor to pin or baste the shorter length so you can judge the length before he alters the jacket. Stand back from the mirror and see if it looks right. Better perspective when standing farther away from the mirror than too close.
Better for you to do this basted fitting than to have the jacket shortened and not look right. Then you're stuck with a suit you won't enjoy wearing and may not be able to resell.

tcpx

Reaction score
Jacket looks a size too big. Chest and back blades are very full. I see a sweater and a shirt under the jacket and it still looks big.

Length should be about the tip of your thumb on your left hand, not any shorter or the pockets will look too low in relation to the hem. Would still be border line too long at that length.
Ask the tailor to pin or baste the shorter length so you can judge the length before he alters the jacket. Stand back from the mirror and see if it looks right. Better perspective when standing farther away from the mirror than too close.
Better for you to do this basted fitting than to have the jacket shortened and not look right. Then you're stuck with a suit you won't enjoy wearing and may not be able to resell.

thanks for the feedback, I’ll definitely have the tailor pin it first to judge from multiple angles how it looks with the length reduced.

I’m actually wearing a polo shirt underneath and not a sweater + shirt. I definitely don’t think I can size down further as the torso area feels pretty fitted already without alterations

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What size is the jacket and what size is the trouser waist?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with Despos that the jacket looks a bit too big, and especially too long. I would be hesitant to shorten the coat, as it seems like you need to shorten it a lot.

Personally would try a different size. If that doesn't work, I would just try to find a different model.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Realize it's hard to find suits in your size and even more rare to find a Tom Ford at a good price. I would look for a suit that fits better than this. A jacket that doesn't need to be shortened and needs the least amount of alteration. This jacket is too long and not worth shortening. You don't look like you are hard to fit but you will be better served if the proportions are right.
Lots of comments here when guys regret buying clothing because of a perceived deal or bargain but it doesn't work out.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but the amount of changes necessary would ruin the look of the suit and you'd wind up with something that you won't be happy with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads