• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Polishing Alden 975 Shell Cordovan LWBs

gt0279a

Reaction score
This is my first post, so please excuse my ignorance.

Long story short, I recently purchased a pair of Alden 975s second hand and they needed some TLC. I liked the fact these have some character and are not super dark burgundy.

After visiting my local haberdashery, they recommended Saphir Reno'mat and Renovateur

One shoe untouched so far, other shoe as it is now after using the Saphir products (the one without laces):

I used both products as directed on the right shoe only, there are some cloudy areas on the shoe, most noticeable on the one area below the laces. So far, I am unable to get this area to look like the rest of the shoe. Any attempt to polish/buff the area just pulls all the lint from the cloth.

Matte / cloudy area below laces:

I tired a second go of the reno'mat after the shoe dried for a few hours and I still get burgundy stains on the cloth as if it either removing old polish or dye? No improvement of the look of the area. Any recommendations? Did I screw up?

Overall, the shoe looks great compared to the untreated one and the leather feels nicer, but I am hesitant to go any further until I can get this area fixed. I also noticed some dark / black marks as well on the area above the toe.

Dark marks on upper toe area:

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With second hand shoes, you don't know how the previous owner has taken care of them, using the wrong polish, wax etc. Could be lots of build up. I would start by cleaning them thoroughly with Lexol cleaner, some water and a brush.

My care routine for cordovan is to wipe with a wet/damp cloth, leave to dry and then polish to a shine with a horsehair brush. I periodically use some Saphir cordovan cream.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my first post, so please excuse my ignorance.

Long story short, I recently purchased a pair of Alden 975s second hand and they needed some TLC. I liked the fact these have some character and are not super dark burgundy.

After visiting my local haberdashery, they recommended Saphir Reno'mat and Renovateur

renomat on shell ? NEVER take that persons advice again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads