• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***HELP PLEASE - have I ruined my shoes?

Miserable

Reaction score
My shoes turn a lot darker than usual after I did these to them...

I used hair dyer to blow over my shoes with heating (kept only 2-3 inches away from the shoes), as I heard from someone that it would help to remove the old wax on the shoes. After that, I used Saphir renovateur to remove the old wax and I repeated these 2 steps for a several times. Finally, they turned into the condition as the picture shown. At the beginning I thought they would lighten back up over some time as they just looked like getting wet, but after 2 days they're the same. I read some articles online and Most of them said Mink-Oil would darken the leather, so I guess I used too much renovateur while the renovateur is mink-oil based, but I don't know for sure.

WHAT SHOULD I DO TO SAVE MY SHOES PLEASE? OR ANY POSSIBLE WAYS TO FIX THEM PLEASE? Thanks a lot!

What they look right now:

What they looked before:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum.

Using a blow dryer only helped the leather to absorb whatever you put on the shoes, even deeper into the leather fibres.
There is an old saying which states, 'it isn't a party until something is broken'.
You can either live with it, or take them to your local friendly cobbler (shoe repair) to have them look at them,
or if you are willing to risk completely destroying them, get some rubber gloves, some rags, and take them outside and use some acetone on them. The acetone will remove everything though, including the original dyes. This is something I would not recommend doing on your own without experience.
Were it me, I would just rock those shoes casual and move on; learning from the mistake.

A blow dryer should never be used on leather, imo, for any reason.

Miserable

Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum.

Using a blow dryer only helped the leather to absorb whatever you put on the shoes, even deeper into the leather fibres.
There is an old saying which states, 'it isn't a party until something is broken'.
You can either live with it, or take them to your local friendly cobbler (shoe repair) to have them look at them,
or if you are willing to risk completely destroying them, get some rubber gloves, some rags, and take them outside and use some acetone on them. The acetone will remove everything though, including the original dyes. This is something I would not recommend doing on your own without experience.
Were it me, I would just rock those shoes casual and move on; learning from the mistake.

A blow dryer should never be used on leather, imo, for any reason.

Thanks for your advise man. Think I will just leave with it as the acetone is just too risky for me. Anyway, lesson learnt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads