• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me understand the Rick Owens style

bob99

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of Rick Owens stuff online, and I know that a few members of this forum are big fans of the clothing. I was hoping a few fans could help me understand what they like about it. I can appreciate that the really long shirts / drop crotch pants / strange shapes are unique, but the aesthetics don't do it for me.

I can get behind the sneakers and leather jackets, but they seem the most "normal" in their styling to me. Nobody I know dresses that way, so I'm not used to seeing it worn regularly. In addition, the prices seem very high, and not justified for what the items are.

I'm happy to chalk it up to a difference in taste / style, since I certainly don't need to love everything ever made, but as I learn more about different designers I'd like to hear the other side.

Thanks!

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont understand what you want to hear. what's so difficult to "understand" about rick owens. just go watch his runways. if you like it then you like it. if you dont then you dont and move on.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He takes a lot of womenswear and couture elements and then uses a simple pallet and certain subculture influences to make it all real life wearable. There is also an element of architecture and art in his work - Brancusi and Corbusier being amongst his explicit influences.

Maybe the most appealing element is this world he has created. Whether it's his DRKSHDW denim line, his womenswear, his furniture or accessories he has created this really cohesive aesthetic world. Even if you don't want to live in it (I personally do) I think you have to admit it's very impressive.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from what i gather its the gothninja look, imo its pretty cool

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly if you watch or read interviews with Rick Owens he gives a little insight to what the line is all about. He talks about the perverse, the dark, the edgyness, adrogyness, but at the same time maintaining a sophisticated elegance among all the chaos. All of Rick's pieces have their own distinct look, whether it be from his leathers or his hightop sneakers. The reason he became so popular is mainly due to the absense of similar designers in his line of work. He took gothic clothing and glamourised it more or less. If you read further into his interviews you can see that Rick Owens is also totally obsessed with the body and body modification. Owens admits that he is a gym rat because the body itself is more important than the clothes and can accentuate what somebody is wearing. He said something about how working out is the most extreme form of modification because you are changing the physical structure of your body. He also pointed out that he works out in most of his clothes, but that is beyond me...

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@magician specific examples and pictures please

^ i go to poppin session in my rick owens sweats. does that count?

Oldboy

Reaction score
I have a pair of the woven cotton drawstring pants from the Strutter collection that I wear to the gym almost everyday. Fuckin' love em

The baggy pants/shorts, the sheer tees/tanktops, the hi-tops....a significant portion of what Rick puts out is basically high end gym-wear

Of course the outerwear is on another level

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
He takes a lot of womenswear and couture elements and then uses a simple pallet and certain subculture influences to make it all real life wearable. There is also an element of architecture and art in his work - Brancusi and Corbusier being amongst his explicit influences.

Lol art school

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician

Maybe the most appealing element is this world he has created. Whether it's his DRKSHDW denim line, his womenswear, his furniture or accessories he has created this really cohesive aesthetic world. Even if you don't want to live in it (I personally do) I think you have to admit it's very impressive.

magician can you do this for every designer plz?

bob99

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, particularly Magician and Fuuma - I read that other thread and it's an interesting look at an alternative approach to style / fashion choices.

I'm interested in this specifically as it pertains to the non-runway pieces - runway fashion seems so foreign to me, as compared to stuff you can actually buy in a store.

The prices still seem way too high for a normal man like me... (Not attempting to start a huge "how do y'all afford this stuff!" thread, just commenting!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads