1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help me save up and move out!

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by BlacKidLA, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm a dinosaur. In particular, a Sexual Tyrannosaur who got laid between the ages of 21-25. Ignore everything I write and enjoy your celibacy.

1 person likes this.
  2. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Well-Known Member

Sweet, thanks. It'd be great to move out immediately but I think the biggest thing keeping me from doing that is that I need a new car and even if I didn't need a car I'd still be living paycheck to paycheck.

I've never been financially sound so having that extra $14.5k behind me would be great.

3. BlacKidLA

I want to get laid too. :'(

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

You're not ready to live out on your own if you have to ask for such advice IMO.

Live at home, save up money, BUY your own place (why the hell would you want to rent??), and then settle down.

If you got too much pride for all this, don't think you'll survive long.

5. thenanyu

thenanyu Well-Known Member

:worship2: Your dick is soooooo big

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  6. gort

gort Well-Known Member

$300 a month on going out in LA, is that feasible? One thing to keep in mind is that it is very hard to plan and stay within budget if you do go out regularly. A few more rounds of drinks sounds like a good idea in the heat of the moment, but the next morning a $150 bar tab just zapped 50% of your going out budget within the first Friday of the month.

7. BlacKidLA

This is so true and I'm quite the party-man. I'll have to instill some self-control.

8. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

I don't know what your relationship is with your parents is like but I suggest you use the time at home to build up a better/closer relationship with them. The time I spent at home after college was really great in that regard and it also allowed me to spend a lot of quality time with my younger siblings.

Boomers all moved out when they were 18 and will rub your face in how much "freedom" it afforded them but the reality is that tons of people from this generation never built meaningful relationships with their parents or siblings because they literally spent less than a year of their adult life at home. This has led to a generation of children who don't have any contact with their parents beyond an annual Thanksgiving Day visit and an awkward phone call here and there.

A meaningful relationship with your family is one of the most rewarding relationships you can build so I strongly suggest you use this time to do that.

9. Lord-Barrington

You only got laid between the ages of 21 and 25? Hope you made the most of that brief window.

10. Harold falcon

Where did I write only?

11. Lord-Barrington

You said you "got laid between the ages of 21-25". Seems pretty precise to me.

12. Harold falcon

Precision does not imply exclusivity. You, sir, have made an assumption. And you know what happens when you make an assumption. You make an ass out of u and mption.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  13. Lord-Barrington

Mption is going to be pissed as hell that I made an ass out of him again. This isn't the first time!

2 people like this.
  14. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

Do you expect your parents to pay for your food?

15. BlacKidLA

I'll eat breakfast and dinner at home, on my parents' dime. I'll try to pack a lunch every day but on those days where I'm feeling lazy that's what that "$300" left over is for.

16. huy

huy Well-Known Member

The plan is not too bad and it gives you a lot of savings. I do think your take home pay is a little on the higher side. I also think you should also budget for health insurance, car insurance and retirement.

I know you're into your cars but you would definitely be able to save a ton of money if you bought used. You can get a lot more car for the same money.

17. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

This is not necessary a good advice, especially if the OP may consider moving. Buying makes you grounded.

A few years back, I was going to buy a condo because I thought I would never leave Southern California. Now, I'm looking at all offers, and wouldn't mind relocating to interesting places.

To the OP: that rent is LOW. I'm not sure where in California you are, but even in a middle class neighborhood around here, rent would be more than $1,000/month.

You're still young, listen to these guys. I'm 26 now, I went through the same thing as you. Back when I was an undergrad, my friends and I wanted 'privacy' so we looked into renting a house and all that.

Basic advice: Don't flex your wallet if it's immature. I know many people who were trying to show off when their salaries didn't allow them. Young guys were leasing Ms and AMGs at $1000/month and couldn't really drive them (like the mileage agreement would allow in the first place) because they had no money for gas and beer/going out money after bills were paid.

18. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I never understood the rush to move out so soon if you didn't have a girlfriend to move in with. I knew guys who moved out with little savings and lived with unhygienic shirtless male room mates in small places that stank of nag champa and vomit. Is that really preferable to having your mom cook for you all the time, cleaning your room and doing all your laundry?

19. Verniza

Verniza Well-Known Member

Ditch the moving out thought, the financial sacrifices made just for that is not worth it.

I rather live in temporary shame and have enough money to live comfortably in the future. Is the car really necessary btw? If so get a cheap beater, everything is for the future.

I would also forgo entertainment/going out that requires money find free and fun activities. Tell your friends that it's more fun and exciting etc, if they don't bite, find people who do. If you need a place to get laid however, that's what your friends who have their own apartments are for ;)

I guess for me, you technically have "enough" to move out and live on your own when you have got about 50 grand net-worth(Not all in cash) but that's just me.

From a 19yr old guy who is living shamelessly with his parents and still studying while living on $450 a month.

20. celery

celery Well-Known Member

Another vote here for staying put with the parents. I don't know where the whole, "you won't get laid for the next 5 years" comes from; sure you might miss out on a few because they won't give you the time of day due to your living arrangement, but overall it won't be too much of a hindrance.

And the financial benefit of living at home is just too good to pass up, unless you have abusive parents, I'd stick around until you meet a girl you want to live with.