1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help me save up and move out!

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by BlacKidLA, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I don't get the "not getting laid " thing either. If you're picking up a girl, go back to her place. Also, I'm not sure about LA but at least in DC there are a ton of young people making peanuts living in group houses in some of the more hipster friendly neighborhoods. They frequent the cheaper/hipster bars and throw a lot of parties with cheap kegs. Most of the girls are pretty hot and they are very low maintenance. I'd seek out an environment like that if you could (plus with the amount of wannabe actors and shit in the LA area I can't imagine it doesn't exist). Anyway in the grand scheme of things, when you're 23/24/25 and ready to move out with thousands of dollars in savings and a lot more experience re: work/life balance the time you spent at your parents' place would seem like nothing. While you're there, take them up on all the free shit you can get away with. A lot of parents are more than happy to do that - especially if they see you're not pissing the savings away and you try your best to pull your own weight around the house.

Oh yeah, partying is more fun when you're a little older (mid to late 20s) and wiser.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Move out now, sleep on people couches for a while if needs be. WTF is wrong with this forum, all you asian accountants just shut the fuck up and let me handle this one.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

You're not ready to live out on your own if you give such advice IMO.
    Live at home, save up money, BUY your own place and accumulate enough to retire (who the hell wants to pay mortgage while working), and then settle down.
    If you got too much pride for all this, don't think you'll survive long.

4. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I graduated college in 2001, so exactly 10-years ago. I spent 2-years trying to teach underserved kids in the ghetto and the next 4-years studying like a dog in graduate school. The above statement is everything I detest about the "me" generation.

This is likely not feasible. A decent home in LA starts around $300-400k which implies a $60-80k downpayment + 10-15k in closing costs for a minimum savings of 70k in liquid assets. If you include an adequate emergency fund, the numbers begin to approach 100k in cash. If the OP decides to live in the Valley or the periphery of Los Angeles, the numbers will improve, but again, the Valley is not LA.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

:rotflmao:

6. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Talk some sense into him, Fuuma. I'm not getting through.

Where did I say that I didn't study hard or do well in school? Or that I didn't do volunteer work? Doesn't it seem more selfish to mooch off of your parents for a few more years in order to save money? Maybe they're sick of cooking for you, cleaning up after you and want some privacy of their own. I have a good relationship with my parents at least in part because I moved out early.

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

China holds the largest foreign currency reserves in the world.

I also lived independently post college. However, living with your parents does not necessarily equate to "Mom & Dad provides free meals, cleaning up after you, etc". The extended nuclear family might also benefit a child's parents who have an inadequate retirement portfolio and could use the extra cash to hit the $21.5k 401k catch-up deferment. Otherwise, I recommend the OP seriously examine his finances before making a decision about moving out on <30k/year.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  8. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Move out. I agree with Fuuma.

Live on the east side like I do. It's not that expensive. Though, if you are trying to be hip and trendy, I don't mean that east-side (silverlake)

I lived on 8600 a year for two years. Then again, I was younger I didn't give a shit.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  9. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Some advice:

1) Re: Mooching: Whats better, a single income house or a double? Or a tri? Obviously, you aren't going to be throwing all your money back home, but offer to help pay for groceries. Depending on your parents, this will make it so its not mooching, etc.

2) Getting laid: You're not in HS/Uni anymore. Get a steady girl. Much cheaper than partying every Fri/Sat ($50 a night?) and batting .666 (for a net 5lays/$400 per month), take her out to a nice dinner every 2-3 weeks ($100?), which will get you something like 12 lays/$200 per month. Makes December/anniversary/whatever more expensive but whatever. Depending on the girl, obviously, it'll be cheaper... and if shes chill enough for the above budget to work, then shes also probably cool with you living with your parents until you have a good nest egg. Plus theres always her place (if Conne can get laid living at home, so can you).
    N.B.: Several male friends live in rooms/houses completely unsuited to getting laid more than once, or even getting a girl past the front steps. Several people living at home could conceivably enough just pretend they have a basement suite or tidy roommates. Alternatively, there is also the wonderful land of her place, which frees you from the obligations of breakfast, changing your sheets, getting her to leave, and collecting detritus which may escape your notice and then cause later issues, should you find a girlfriend.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: do not move in with a girl you do not want to marry. If you want to marry her, get engaged.

3) Car: ideally, you're not planning on spending 28G on a car. You can probably get something rock solid for half that which will still be fun.

Summary: Live at home for as cheap as possible to you can move out sooner.

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Re: buying vs leasing a car. I know you're into cars and all, but remember that a car is a liability, not an asset. An expensive one, at that. I wouldn't spend more than $10,000 on your car, less if possible. Do not borrow to buy a car! The only exception is if you can find a 0% loan and pay it off before the real interest kicks in. Some of the best deals are on previously leased cars, they've usually had better maintenance than "previously owned".

Look at the total cost of ownership of a car before you buy - monthly payment, insurance, typical gas usage, and assume at least $500 per year for maintenance, double that if the car has over 100K miles, garage rental if needed (do those $1,000 apartments include parking?).

11. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

I think the social norms about getting laid while still living at home (as a dude) have changed a lot since your time. I am living back at home in Los Angeles myself, and it doesn't stop me from getting laid. And for fuck's sake, I've got no car and I sleep on an air bed in the breakfast nook. Anyone who has a door has it better than I do. Once you've got them in the door, you're gold -- or at least you should be.

Although having a door really would be nice. Definitely looking forward to when the stripper living with us moves out and I can have my old room back.

Edit: This post can really go either way in recommending whether to live at home or not -- consider my story a worst-case scenario!

But, in seriousness, I think living at home is a more solid plan. Living at home helped me save up $4000 in just a couple months which I was able to plow into my investment algorithm. I know it would have been far harder to raise money for my test fund if I didn't have some skin in the game myself, which I wouldn't if I were living on my own. And, even with saving more, I get to have disposable income much closer to when I was making 50-65k and living on my own. I get to go out a lot, buy the occasional pair of shoes, etc.

I enjoyed living on my own -- if you're making enough money then of course go for it. But living at home is not an unpleasant experience. I have a good relationship with my parents, I'm close to my old friends, and I'm saving money.

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

How do you get laid like this? Are you at the mercy of going back to your partner's abode everytime you want to get some? And in your case, how the hell do you masturbate without a door?

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

edit - wrong thread

14. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Mostly go back to the girl's place, yes, but I have boned some girls at home. It's just a matter of coming back when no one is home, which happens to be fairly easy for me. As for jerkin it -- again, just a matter of timing. I have plenty of hours during the day to whack it as much as is necessary.

15. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

How are you still alive? You have like the resourcefulness of a lemming.

1 person likes this.
  16. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I like how all these guys living in their parents home explain that they're able to get laid by going back to her place. Once again we see that women mature faster than men.

1 person likes this.
  17. Harold falcon

What? I do not live with my parents. Do you not understand what a lemming is?

18. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

I am an immigrant, so maybe my views are alien, but I find it completely ridiculous that you think people should be ashamed of living with their family and maybe even their extended family. I have to laugh when people in America complain about the erosion of the family unit, because in my view y'all never had much of a family unit to begin with.

Living with your parents, spending what limited time you have with them, helping them run the house, these are honorable things. I got laid plenty when I was in high school - it's not that hard.

1 person likes this.
  19. Harold falcon

I didn't mean to suggest it is shameful, but I would have been very uncomfortable bringing chicks back to my place for sexual relations if my parents were in the other room. I was apparently not blessed with your Mack-like abilities and had little success wooing women to come back to my parent's home for an evening of sex.

Nanyu, did you go to high school in the US? I could easily see it being easier to bed women in other countries if everybody has the shared experience of living with their parents into adulthood. Here at least, it is a lot more difficult to convince a girl to bump uglies with you if you still live at home.

I don't think you'll ever hear me complain about the erosion of the family unit.

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Once you're out of high school, anyway. It wasn't much of an obstacle back then, at any rate.