• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me improve my MTM suit fit

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
It is my natural posture, and I realize how strange that seems. Venders complain about it all the time when trying to fit me.

You have a very erect posture. This means the balance of the coat really needs to be adjusted significantly, lest you get get that bunching in the lower back. Obviously, they've tried to reduce this a bit already, but it still needs work. If you can't get MTM to fix this, bespoke will.

Albern

Reaction score

From this pic and the fact that you mention that this is your natural posture the tailor will have to adjust the sleeve pitch so that the fabric at the back doesn't bunch up like that. Also, something that was new to me regarding your vest is that at the back, it should go flush over the bottom of the shirt collar. Kudos to Manton for that.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
something that was new to me regarding your vest is that at the back, it should go flush over the bottom of the shirt collar.
I dont understand what that means, could you elaborate?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe try another tailor - this one seems pretty clueless to have sold you this.

Albern

Reaction score

I dont understand what that means, could you elaborate?

My comment was based on what Manton had mentioned in this thread which was also news to me - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=170537.

As it turns out the back of the vest (which is purple in your case) should be high enough that it can sit flush against the bottom of your shirt collar by about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch. I'm not sure why that is the case; hopefully someone could chime in as to why.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
The main issues wuith the suit is that it really needs pressed
The photos were taken at the end of the day, but still, point duly noted.

Originally Posted by GBR
Maybe try another tailor - this one seems pretty clueless to have sold you this.
That seems pretty exaggerated to me.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you bend your arms when wearing that shirt in the first set of pictures? The whole thing is much too tight for my taste.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Can you bend your arms when wearing that shirt in the first set of pictures? The whole thing is much too tight for my taste.
The shirt is by Jantzen. If it is tight, that's a reflection of my taste. I personally think the shirt fit is exactly what I want it to be, and it is very comfortable.

Of course, it took quite a few Jantzen orders to arrive to the exact fit I wanted.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered the new suit. Coat I asked for a lower button stance (4 cm, about 1.5") and a little more room. Waistcoat I asked for a lower button stance (5cm, about 2") and a longer waistcoat (5cm). Pants I asked for a little more room (2 cm, slightly less than 1") in the waist. I also ordered a double-breasted 2-piece suit on a different pattern, which was probably unwise (I should have waited to see if the first pattern's measurements were perfect this time). I will receive the product sometime in May, I'll try to remember to post an update. Thanks to everybody for the advice.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
18 months later, I stumble upon this thread and realize I have never posted pictures my new second MTM 3-piece suit.

So, just a recap. In 2009, I got my first ever MTM three-piece suit. The result was not bad for the price, but there were quite a few problems with the fit.I decided last year to order a second suit from the same outfit and tried to correct the small problems I had with the first one. This is the result I got last year. The suit is a bit wrinckled (especially in the back) because the photos were taken at the end of a 2-day-long business trip. My apologies.

(click to enlarge)

I think this is a good result, much better than the previous suit, but I am still not completely satisfied. I am considering ordering a third suit in 2012, with a couple changes still.
  1. I think the waistcoat needs to be a bit longer still.
  2. There is some pulling at the front of the jacket. I am not sure how to correct this. An obvious choice would be to ask for a roomier jacket, but I like the way this one fits when I am standing. What do you think: ask for a lower button stance? Switch to a 3-button jacket?

Here is the way the jacket looks when I am moving. Do you think there is too much pulling in the front?

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you could wait 18 months before posting new pictures, couldn't you wait another couple of days to get the suit pressed before taking the pictures?
since your first set of pictures was followed by "sorry for the pics... long day"
and the 2nd set followed by "sorry for the pics... after long trip"

just giving you a hard time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads