• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me dip my toe into upper-end jeans...

unexpected

Reaction score
Christ, for the love of god, someone please tell me what size jeans I should get!

I'm trying to dip my toes into the high-end jeans category, and can't figure out this whole sizing mess.

I'm a 34 1/2" waist. That's tape measured size. When I buy "conventional" jeans, I get size 33. By conventional jeans, I mean Banana Republic and Seven for all Man Kind.

Now, if I understand it correctly, if I wanted to get APC's, I should get size 33 in APC, correct (sizing down 1-2 from my "true" size). If I wanted to upgrade, and get, let's say the Andy Whalls, I should stick to my true size and get a 35?

Sorry, i know this has been asked before, but still perplexes me. Also, for anyone who wants to earn brownie points:

What APC cut is LeBron wearing in his GQ shoot? Link here: http://men.style.com/gq/features/sli...v/011309LEBRON

scoon0224

Reaction score
i'm gonna guess NOT skinny standards. The guy is big... and doesn't exactly scream 'skinny jean aesthetic' if you ask me

thedamnscott

Reaction score
Well, I wear a 33 to 34 in conventional jeans and pants (Levis 34, Uniqlo Vintage Chino 33, etc), a 30 in APC Rescues (I don't own a pair, but I tried some on and that is the size I would get), my APC New Standards are 32 (and I think I could've sized down one more, but they fit pretty well), and my new Ande Whall Cougars are 35 and they fit great. You sound basically the same, so maybe copy my fit? Though my true size is certainly greater than 34.5".

As for Lebron, it looks like he's wearing NS or Rescues. He's so ******* awesome at basketball (I'm a Cavs fan, always have been) that regardless of the jean, he rocks it well.

mpcec

Reaction score
Whodini can't you just delete threads like this or merge them with the small questions thread?? There are some many worthless sub 20 post threads that are made on the daily.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpcec
Whodini can't you just delete threads like this or merge them with the small questions thread?? There are some many worthless sub 20 post threads that are made on the daily.
Once the wonderful, counselor gives me the ability to do so, I'd be more than willing...

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, when I first read the thread title, I expected this to be about physically fitting your foot through small leg openings. Which is seriously a problem I have with some jeans. Hehe.

Using Technology

Reaction score
I agree that sizing for men's pants is pretty crazy. I think my waist is maybe a 36. A tuxedo guy measured me at 37. Almost all of my normal pants are tagged 34 and sometimes are still a bit loose. I have a pair of Fulton's in 34 and are at least one size too baggy. My APCs are a 33. blah.

unexpected

Reaction score
sweet, now that my question is answered, let's make it about LeBron's jeans.

Where's are the jean gurus? I think they're too "loose" for the New Standards, but they could be rescues....

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thedamnscott
my APC New Standards are 32 (and I think I could've sized down one more, but they fit pretty well)

Same here. I'm a 34 as well.

I'm guessing Lebron is either wearing Rescues or NS true to size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads