• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help globetrotter build a new casual wardrobe

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

I am thinking of dropping the cargo pants (damn, I love the pockets, though)

Instead of extra pockets on your pants, get a well-fitted jacket that has plenty of interior and exterior pockets. Some folks on the J Crew thread talk this one up:

images_onFigure_96_96051_96051_BR6432_m_tif_d6ce0c28c1181949.jpg

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Look at phat_guido's posts in the what are you wearing today thread. I think he has a blog also. That dude's got bad ass dad style.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PG, has great style but not so much functional "dad" style.

Drew pretty much just described the direction my style is going (33, two kids, spend a lot of time outdoors or in the country), I still have more remnants from my rocker/glam/pink days but that is pretty much **** on.

I just bought a white BUzz Rickson Chambray and Globe i can tell you it is pretty much perfect for your needs.

In fact the whole Americana style is pretty much perfect for middle age active dads that don't want to look too dowdy, wwm, EG, Rag and Bone, even BOo if you can fit it. I never really understood why it is so popular w/ 20 year olds.
Add in a little rocker repo and some tech and your good to go.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
-a G-1 or A-2 styled leather bomber jacket in brown, with a (preferably removable) mouton collar. TOJ (that's me) order-made, Buzz Rickson's or some of the reproduction brands for 2-3-4X more, something like that. There are a lot of good ones out there, but mine fits as you want it to, which these jackets tend not to do.
Listen to this man, he knows. Either get a TOJ, get one off the B&S (shameless plug for me if you're an XL because you won't do any better than mine), or pay significantly more. Imo you could write off all the other outerwear on the list as long as you have a good leather. Well, maybe a raincoat too.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
PG, has great style but not so much functional "dad" style.

Drew pretty much just described the direction my style is going (33, two kids, spend a lot of time outdoors or in the country), I still have more remnants from my rocker/glam/pink days but that is pretty much **** on.

I just bought a white BUzz Rickson Chambray and Globe i can tell you it is pretty much perfect for your needs.

In fact the whole Americana style is pretty much perfect for middle age active dads that don't want to look too dowdy, wwm, EG, Rag and Bone, even BOo if you can fit it. I never really understood why it is so popular w/ 20 year olds.
Add in a little rocker repo and some tech and your good to go.

cool, I think I am getting what you are saying. now, pardon me for being a little dense - so this is a shirt, right (buzz rickson chambray) ? you wear it like a light jacket, or like a shirt?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree with you, there are too many pretexts with black leather Bombers and bad fitting black leather jackets for the older crowd, probably why Fuuma shooed OP away from them entirely. This sounds a bit out there at first maybe, but OP should budget about $2000 for a leather jacket, that's what other good leather jackets costs nowadays. A Buzz A-2 costs more than that, you can pay less with smaller houses and wait 6-12 months, etc. Then again, it will last forever, and be in style forever, so no love lost.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool, I think I am getting what you are saying. now, pardon me for being a little dense - so this is a shirt, right (buzz rickson chambray) ? you wear it like a light jacket, or like a shirt?

Sorry, I throw out a lot of Brands and assume everyone knows what I'm talking about. Yeah, Buzz Rickson is a clothing line. Influenced by the American military circa 1930-1960 ish as seen through the eye of a science fiction writer and the Japanese. Historical Preservation is a web site that sells a lot of Buzz Rickson, Sugar Cane (another line you should look at) and z lot of other reops (repoduction of clothing, often down to the last rivet).
Kiya, a SW&D regualr and owner of Self Edge, and all around decent sort can tell you far more about the brands and make all manner of excellent recommendations.

Chambray is a cotton fabric, light and tough with a good bit of texture to it. It was used a lot in the 40-60s and has been used A LOT recently as the base for quite a lot of Collections based on the loosly termed "Americana" style. There is a heavy Japanese influence in this style but it is based on traditional American wares.
You can buy just about anything in chambray but shirts are really what it is best for imho.

The Buzz shirt is just a great non-fussy, casual button up style. Good alone untucked on a hot day or even with a navy or tweed odd jacket sans tie.
Check here: http://www.historypreservation.com/h...ugarcane_2.php
or at the Self edge site.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
This is what I think I'd wear if I was 40, had kids, some income, and was clean slating my entire SW+D wardrobe, and were not myself, per se, but just someone on the internets I was imagining;

Why do you and Fuuma find it so fascinating to construct HUGE wardrobe lists designed to meet the needs of a generic, stereotyped dad?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Why do you and Fuuma find it so fascinating to construct HUGE wardrobe lists designed to meet the needs of a generic, stereotyped dad?

Isn't the point kinda of to avoid generic, stereotyped dad status?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool, thanks - I found the site, is this a shirt or a jacket? or a shirt you wear like a jacket?

Originally Posted by NorCal
Sorry, I throw out a lot of Brands and assume everyone knows what I'm talking about. Yeah, Buzz Rickson is a clothing line. Influenced by the American military circa 1930-1960 ish as seen through the eye of a science fiction writer and the Japanese. Historical Preservation is a web site that sells a lot of Buzz Rickson, Sugar Cane (another line you should look at) and z lot of other reops (repoduction of clothing, often down to the last rivet).
Kiya, a SW&D regualr and owner of Self Edge, and all around decent sort can tell you far more about the brands and make all manner of excellent recommendations.

Chambray is a cotton fabric, light and tough with a good bit of texture to it. It was used a lot in the 40-60s and has been used A LOT recently as the base for quite a lot of Collections based on the loosly termed "Americana" style. There is a heavy Japanese influence in this style but it is based on traditional American wares.
You can buy just about anything in chambray but shirts are really what it is best for imho.

The Buzz shirt is just a great non-fussy, casual button up style. Good alone untucked on a hot day or even with a navy or tweed odd jacket sans tie.
Check here: http://www.historypreservation.com/h...ugarcane_2.php
or at the Self edge site.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, I have noticed a lot of the cotton short jackets like have been recomnded in Breaking Bad - walt and hank both wear them, they look cool, but are we sure that they aren't fashionas opposed to style?

and the opposition to the colombia sportswear things are because they are common, is that right?

ok, about a bomber jacket - here's the deal, I get to places on a regular basis where I can get a really nice bomber jacket made to fit me, heavy leather lined with shearling. for a little tiny bit of money. so my thought was that I could get a really nice bomber jacket for a very good price. origionally, I was thinking of a light unlined leather jacket for fall/spring, and a heavy fur lined bomber for the winter. problems with that, aside from looking like a "gay dad"?

thanks

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1

WTF is this ****? First of all, neither of them "constructed a HUGE wardrobe list". They both gave some very specific and eloquent suggestions. Second of all, they're just being friendly and trying to help the guy out. Jeeze.
confused.gif

GT, that Buzz Rickson Chambray is a shirt, though you could wear it open over a t shirt like a lightweight shirt-jacket if you wanted. I think it's pretty light though.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ok, about a bomber jacket - here's the deal, I get to places on a regular basis where I can get a really nice bomber jacket made to fit me, heavy leather lined with shearling. for a little tiny bit of money. so my thought was that I could get a really nice bomber jacket for a very good price. origionally, I was thinking of a light unlined leather jacket for fall/spring, and a heavy fur lined bomber for the winter. problems with that, aside from looking like a "gay dad"?

thanks

Key word is fit, if the clothing fits, the foregoing suggestions will work for you. If they don't fit (as is the case with 98% of 43 y/o dads), then you will just have a pile of inoffensive clothes to cover your body and no style. I am not talking about skinny, just good fit.

do you know what fits you? It is not intuitive and takes a good eye. I see that you have a lot of posts but it could mostly be CE so I don't know, so don't take offense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads