• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

help globetrotter build a new casual wardrobe

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,605
Reaction score
401
gentlemen, I need to build a whole new wardrobe, and I am asking for help. I am pretty fucking hopeless when it comes to casual. usually, I wear suits or sweats (and my sweats are pretty fucking grungy). my causual wardrobe consists of about 10 tennis shirts (all in dark blue) 2-3 pair of gray wool pants, 2-4 pair of khaki pants, 2-3 pair of cargo shorts. a few sweaters, a pair of keens.

aside from that - maybe 10 blue tee shirts, no decal, 4-5 pair of grungy sweat pants, maybe 5 dark blue or gray hoodies. 3 pair of sneakers.

effectivly, I wear sweats or a tee shirt and shorts when I excersize, I wear a pair pf shorts and a tennis shirt when I am hanging out with my kids or going to the beach, and a suit for business.

about me - I am a director in a 200 mil company, father of twin 4 year olds and a 9 year old, 43. short and broad, full head of hair, light skin. ex-military

what do I want? - I like to have a simple wardrobe, not really flashy or looking like it consits of a lot, but I want it to look better, more organized, neater.

I am thinking of 5 short sleeved rugby shirts, 5 long sleeved rugby shirts, 9 pair of cargo pants (3 wool, 3 khaki, 3 seer sucker) 6 cargo shorts (2 khaki, 2 madras, 2 seer sucker), 4 sweaters (ll bean norwigian sweater, 2 dark shetland sweaters, 1 dark alpaca sweater ) barbour jacket, leather bomber jacket, 2 pair of dark chukas.

also, 5 dark gray/blue hoodies, 5 dark gray/blue 5 underarmour heatware 5 underarmour coldware (or what ever the fuck they call it), 10 dark gray/blue tee shirts in cotton, 5 pair boxing shorts, 5 swin shorts, 5 underarmour beanies, 10 pair sports socks.



that's what I am thinking, but I am very open to suggestions/comments. I am looking to buy a whole new wardrobe around January.
 

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
12,391
Reaction score
247
not sure about the "high" number of cargo gear?
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,627
Reaction score
12,836
First thing I'd do would be to separate my wardrobe into three instead of two categories:

1) MC-work clothing: suits, ties, dress shirts, slacks, etc

2) Gym-playing w. kids clothing: (keep the underarmour, hoodies, cargo shorts or pants, track pants, etc

3)Streetwear forum-grownup casualwear

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're not really into looking like a kid, fashion person or a hipster, you're a pretty serious guy who is heavily invested into the trappings of adulthood; it is time to start dressing like one when you're not working.

I'd see your casual wear wardrobe as small in size but reliable for most occasions; dropping off at a friend's place, wearable on the weekend or going to a restaurent when you're travelling, suitable for a variety of climates.

No tee shirts or ratty sneakers or whatever.

-10 button down shirts (6 longsleeves, 4 shortsleeves): patterned stuff (checks, stripes), not too fitted but not too relaxed. Something you find comfortable but wouldn't make you look bad if you ran into a client.
-one pair of jeans (optional): email kiya at selfedge and get a real pair of semi-relaxed jeans. Might be pricey but it is worth having one. If you want to avoid jeans skip that part.
-cotton chinos in 5 different colours (beige, grey, navy, +2 others). Look at the incotex/mabitex on B&S or go to an asian tailor.You can switch one or two of those for linen slacks (no cargo pockets).
-4 sweaters (two light, two heavy)
-2 pairs of nice sneakers. No running shoes or shit like that. Some clean adidas sambas or jack purcell. You could go more high-end and get common projects.
-2 pair of shoes you'd wear casually (maybe re-use some from your dressy wardrobe or pickup the light chukkas).
-one baracuta g9 original jacket (beige, navy whatever)
-one barbour (no leather you'll look like a gay dad)
-2 casual sportcoats (one light linen, one heavier patterned fabric)

Not an exciting wardrobe according to my taste but it will def project the image you want, make your wife happy and make you look respectable.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,605
Reaction score
401
thanks, this is good stuff.


Originally Posted by Fuuma
First thing I'd do would be to separate my wardrobe into three instead of two categories:

1) MC-work clothing: suits, ties, dress shirts, slacks, etc

2) Gym-playing w. kids clothing: (keep the underarmour, hoodies, cargo shorts or pants, track pants, etc

3)Streetwear forum-grownup casualwear

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're not really into looking like a kid, fashion person or a hipster, you're a pretty serious guy who is heavily invested into the trappings of adulthood; it is time to start dressing like one when you're not working.

I'd see your casual wear wardrobe as small in size but reliable for most occasions; dropping off at a friend's place, wearable on the weekend or going to a restaurent when you're travelling, suitable for a variety of climates.

No tee shirts or ratty sneakers or whatever.

-10 button down shirts (6 longsleeves, 4 shortsleeves): patterned stuff (checks, stripes), not too fitted but not too relaxed. Something you find comfortable but wouldn't make you look bad if you ran into a client.
-one pair of jeans (optional): email kiya at selfedge and get a real pair of semi-relaxed jeans. Might be pricey but it is worth having one. If you want to avoid jeans skip that part.
-cotton chinos in 5 different colours (beige, grey, navy, +2 others). Look at the incotex/mabitex on B&S or go to an asian tailor.You can switch one or two of those for linen slacks (no cargo pockets).
-4 sweaters (two light, two heavy)
-2 pairs of nice sneakers. No running shoes or shit like that. Some clean adidas sambas or jack purcell. You could go more high-end and get common projects.
-2 pair of shoes you'd wear casually (maybe re-use some from your dressy wardrobe or pickup the light chukkas).
-one baracuta g9 original jacket (beige, navy whatever)
-one barbour (no leather you'll look like a gay dad)
-2 casual sportcoats (one light linen, one heavier patterned fabric)

Not an exciting wardrobe according to my taste but it will def project the image you want, make your wife happy and make you look respectable.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,605
Reaction score
401
hmmmm....... here's a thought, I could see going for more pants and 6 odd jackets - 2 alpaca, 2 tweed, 2 madras, instead of the cargo (although I love cargo pants, I can live withouth them) as part of my "mens clothing" wardrobe. and a bunch of botton down shirts for business casual wear.

what are other people's thoughts on the leather jacket? I like the idea of a bomber jacket, but not married to it, and don't need to look like a gay dad.

hmmmm its a thought.
 

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
15
I'll play into this too...

If the bomber fits you well I don't think it would matter much about any stereotypes, you still end up with a classic masculine jacket. Just as your sportscoat shouldn't be 2 sizes too big in MC, same here with leather jackets. They should fit nearly as well to the body for leather jackets.

If you don't feel you "pull off" leather, look into buying a buttoned front suede bomber. Or since your area gets quite cold look into a wool bomber in outerwear weight for winter. These are both similar cuts/styling, just different material.

Overall, bombers make great (shorter) casual jackets.
 

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Messages
14,283
Reaction score
4,760
I think Fuuma gave a great answer.
 

max_r

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2009
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
732
i think fuumas post is perfect. do exactly that.


i dont know what your build is like, but if you're fairly athletic or slim and dont have a gut, i'd look into TOJ for a bomber jacket if you want one (if you dont already know, its a small operation done by a forum member, heres the thread to order from http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=138419)

check out the fit pictures first here: http://toj.pixi.me/v/toj2_2/ they fit pretty slim, so you're best off emailing him to get the sizing right if you dont want a slim fitting bomber jacket.


only reason i bring this up is because whenever i see an older guy wearing a bomber jacket they always look like this



which is horrible
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,627
Reaction score
12,836
Originally Posted by globetrotter
hmmmm....... here's a thought, I could see going for more pants and 6 odd jackets - 2 alpaca, 2 tweed, 2 madras, instead of the cargo (although I love cargo pants, I can live withouth them) as part of my "mens clothing" wardrobe. and a bunch of botton down shirts for business casual wear.

what are other people's thoughts on the leather jacket? I like the idea of a bomber jacket, but not married to it, and don't need to look like a gay dad.

hmmmm its a thought.


I'd avoid basing it too heavily on sportsjackets, too restricting and dressed up. I see it more as khakis, nice shoes, button down and a light jacket or sweater. You need to live in this and let's face it; you'll rarely want to wear a jacket on weekends if YOU HAVE TO during the week. W. a wardrobe that way you can just wear a shirt, pants and some sneakers if you feel like it. You can add some cords if you want variety but they're a lot more fall/winter.

I'd say a leather is doable but usually not done very well; it needs to be either fashiony/experimental, rock'n'roll or americana to work well. You are not like that, wear a suede jacket instead it is a much better look on a variety of men and body types.
 

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Messages
4,953
Reaction score
202
Globe, Fuuma's advice is spot-on.

I am sure that you could carry off a bomber jacket but think it might be a little much.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,605
Reaction score
401
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'd avoid basing it too heavily on sportsjackets, too restricting and dressed up. I see it more as khakis, nice shoes, button down and a light jacket or sweater. You need to live in this and let's face it; you'll rarely want to wear a jacket on weekends if YOU HAVE TO during the week. W. a wardrobe that way you can just wear a shirt, pants and some sneakers if you feel like it. You can add some cords if you want variety but they're a lot more fall/winter.

I'd say a leather is doable but usually not done very well; it needs to be either fashiony/experimental, rock'n'roll or americana to work well. You are not like that, wear a suede jacket instead it is a much better look on a variety of men and body types.


this sounds good, thanks.

what about those fleece jackets from colombia sportswear and the like? I see a lot of dad's wearing those on the weekends.
 

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,274
Reaction score
21
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'd say a leather is doable but usually not done very well; it needs to be either fashiony/experimental, rock'n'roll or americana to work well. You are not like that, wear a suede jacket instead it is a much better look on a variety of men and body types.

I dunno what his normal look is, but a brown bomber with khakis can look pretty grownup and respectable. It might be a bit americana, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
 

phildo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
549
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by globetrotter
what about those fleece jackets from colombia sportswear and the like? I see a lot of dad's wearing those on the weekends.

Not sure if this was serious, but I'd avoid them for anything other than hiking or outdoors stuff, ie you wear them in a situation where you don't care what you look like.


Another option instead of the traditional sportscoats are these deconstructed blazers in fleece/cotton that some brands have out. This is one by wings + horns in recycled fleece.

 

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
3,485
Reaction score
38
Hard to improve Fuuma's advice.

I would have a hard time with only 4 sweaters, but I live where it's cold five months a year. I like to have vests, v-necks, and crewnecks. Maybe 6 would be my minimum if the colors bear repeating (3 vests, 2 v-necks, 1 crewneck).

I'd recommend moving shorts into the gym/play category and have & wear them only when the play requires them (gym, soccer with kids, week at the beach, etc.).

Then spread the chino budget into different weights, according to the seasons you'll wear them. I wear the likes of Bill's poplin on the hottest days, with a short-sleeve buttondown shirt, and they are not hotter than cargo shorts. If anything cooler. They keep the sun off your legs. I will not wear long sleeve casual shirts in the summer, but I can live well and prosper without shorts at 40.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,427
Messages
9,447,822
Members
197,989
Latest member
Mynattes60s
Top