• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help globetrotter build a new casual wardrobe

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Key word is fit, if the clothing fits, the foregoing suggestions will work for you. If they don't fit (as is the case with 98% of 43 y/o dads), then you will just have a pile of inoffensive clothes to cover your body and no style. I am not talking about skinny, just good fit.

do you know what fits you? It is not intuitive and takes a good eye. I see that you have a lot of posts but it could mostly be CE so I don't know, so don't take offense.

thanks - fit isn't the problem, my initial intent was to have everything made, frankly.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
cool, thanks - I found the site, is this a shirt or a jacket? or a shirt you wear like a jacket?

Shirt.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, about a bomber jacket - here's the deal, I get to places on a regular basis where I can get a really nice bomber jacket made to fit me, heavy leather lined with shearling. for a little tiny bit of money. so my thought was that I could get a really nice bomber jacket for a very good price. origionally, I was thinking of a light unlined leather jacket for fall/spring, and a heavy fur lined bomber for the winter. problems with that, aside from looking like a "gay dad"?

Nah don't need two. I'd also advise against getting a heavy fur lined. You want to be wearing your leather in autumn and early spring. Get a winter jacket for winter. A nice peacoat or something.

For the rest of spring/summer you want a light jacket, maybe a harrington jacket (although i don't like the raglan sleeves). Something like this:
large_quantum-of-solace.jpg

in navy, khaki or black. Khaki probably most versatile.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ ok, I am starting to buy that. if I wear khaki and gray pants a lot, wouldn't that jacket with a pair of pants in a similar color look a little dorky?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i kind of get how bomber jackets have 'baggage' because of the people who usually wear them. if you want leather outerwear with shearling lining, how about doing a car coat-style instead? also, for a short jacket, i'm starting to like the biker style much more than the bomber style, but i'm not sure if that fits with what you're going for

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ ok, I am starting to buy that. if I wear khaki and gray pants a lot, wouldn't that jacket with a pair of pants in a similar color look a little dorky?

Plenty of colours to chose from: http://www.baracuta-g9.com/Jackets-and-Coats/all There are other brands that do Harringtons (I have 3 and am most partial to my burgundy Merc), but the Baracuta is still the best known.

On Rugby jumpers - I love them for casual/around the house wear (but not the short-sleeve things!) . Have a look at Canterbury of NZ for the best quality: http://www.canterburynzusa.com/ Ralph Lauren also has some on sale that look like a very nice fit and style (though I don't like the fake-team patches and stuff).

Since you are getting back to jeans after so long, you could always pick-up a cheap basic pair of Levis 501s to wear and decide what you like and don't like in jeans.

Wolverine & Red Wing make some great casual boots that feel great and don't look too much like your old combat boots. I haven't seen any Americans wearing Blundies, but NorCal is right - they are very comfy and just so bloody convenient. There are a lot of other brands that also do similar casual/work chelsea boots.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Plenty of colours to chose from: http://www.baracuta-g9.com/Jackets-and-Coats/all There are other brands that do Harringtons (I have 3 and am most partial to my burgundy Merc), but the Baracuta is still the best known.

On Rugby jumpers - I love them for casual/around the house wear (but not the short-sleeve things!) . Have a look at Canterbury of NZ for the best quality: http://www.canterburynzusa.com/ Ralph Lauren also has some on sale that look like a very nice fit and style (though I don't like the fake-team patches and stuff).

Since you are getting back to jeans after so long, you could always pick-up a cheap basic pair of Levis 501s to wear and decide what you like and don't like in jeans.

Wolverine & Red Wing make some great casual boots that feel great and don't look too much like your old combat boots. I haven't seen any Americans wearing Blundies, but NorCal is right - they are very comfy and just so bloody convenient. There are a lot of other brands that also do similar casual/work chelsea boots.

cool, thanks -

ok, so I think that I am starting to see the light - maybe a baracuta in a shade of gray that I won't have any pants in, a few football/rugby jumpers (well, I am looking for specifically casual/ around the house stuff) from different places that I get to, I am thinking of a loden coat for the winter.

as to boots - yeah, I am thinking of Blundies and maybe a pair of untanned calf ankle boots.

seems like I have some ideas coming together.

as to jeans, I have to try some on, but I am not sure that an off the rack pair of levis will fit me at all comfortably, but I haven't tried in 20 years.

thanks

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my worthless, styleless opinion is to look at what Craig wore in the last 2 bond movies. Simple stuff- t-shirts, well fitting pants and basic jacket like the one above. It's pretty boring but who's to say that you can't develop a different style over time (or build on that one).

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
as to boots - yeah, I am thinking of Blundies and maybe a pair of untanned calf ankle boots.
FWIW, I just got a pair of Gentleman's Travelers as pictured earlier in this thread. Absolute best boots I have ever owned. Great with jeans and I even wear them with chinos & casual button or polo shirt.
as to jeans, I have to try some on, but I am not sure that an off the rack pair of levis will fit me at all comfortably, but I haven't tried in 20 years.
In my experience, it takes a while to figure-out what you like in jeans. This usually involves some trial and error (see all the B&S posts here!). I went through a few different jeans after reading this forum until I decided that I like a fairly simple slim straight leg with a mid to high rise in a dark denim (I'm not concerned about seledge, raw denim or fades). The white jeans 007 is wearing above are Levis 514s which look great on some body types but are too low-rise for me. 501s are a bit of a classic/conservative safe-bet (think James Dean and Elvis) without being too dad-jeans. I would suggest picking up a pair (in a dark rinse) and wearing them for a few months before spending big money on a nicer jean. Then you can always retire them to cleaning/yard-work if you want. Happy shopping!

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW

cool, thanks -

ok, so I think that I am starting to see the light - maybe a baracuta in a shade of gray that I won't have any pants in, a few football/rugby jumpers (well, I am looking for specifically casual/ around the house stuff) from different places that I get to, I am thinking of a loden coat for the winter.

You're right that khaki would look dumb with khaki pants. Looks great with dark jeans though. Could get a navy and a khaki one to cover both bases.

Please don't get a rugby jersey.

The loden coat sounds like a good idea.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Why do you and Fuuma find it so fascinating to construct HUGE wardrobe lists designed to meet the needs of a generic, stereotyped dad?

because that's what the guy asked for??

Raxxman

Reaction score
cool, thanks -

seems like I have some ideas coming together.

thanks

Just remember that jeans break in.

And please take a look at RM Williams Stockyards if you're thinking about Blundies. IMO it's a beautiful boot, constructed from a single piece of leather. I went looking for Blundies, and while they were nice, I've never had a better first fit than the Stockyards.

I'm assuming your in the US, else I'd recommend Marks and Sparks for polo/rugby shirts. Their kinda generic, but the latest casual styles are quite smart.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Two thoughts: first, I think you should avoid cargo pants/shorts if you possibly can. I think Fuuma's basic point is right, i.e. that you sound like you are going for a good casual look that is also grown up. To me, cargo is just too adolescent (granting that adolescence often extends through the 20s). You want to make sure that you don't look as if you are trying to look like a college kid. Part of the reason for this is that most college kids look terrible.

Second, while I understand the general apprehension about bomber jackets, I think they can look stylish while still being grown up. But you do want to get a quality jacket that fits you well. You don't want the "old man at the shopping mall" look. Your choice of black or brown should be based on you personal coloring and on the colors of your other clothes. More people look good in brown than in black, but black does work well for some. My concern about the bomber for you is that I'm not sure that it is a style that works as well for someone with your build. There are other styles of leather jacket that might be better. But if you want a leather jacket -- and why not, they are great -- you could certainly figure something out that will look good on you.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, seriously, why the hate for rugby jerseys? I don't understand it.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, seriously, why the hate for rugby jerseys? I don't understand it.

Don't worry about it.
Hendrix does not like them b/c he plays, the rest b/c they are really safe, have no edge, and can often look terrible.

For forty something dads to wear around the house and maybe to a judo practice they are excellent.
Just buy the real deal, heavy weight, fit for a game and representing an actual team. If you have an actual connection to the team all the better. Maybe take a look at the Israel national team or the American national team to start.
You also have the advantage of being legitimately masculine and so things like bombers and rugby jerseys won't look so out of place on you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads