• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help choosing a new sport coat for ~$200

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
I'm a poor college kid who's looking to start building a wardrobe, and I would like to add a tweed sport coat to the mix. Currently I'm looking at two different ones, the first one being from Lands End, and the Second from leadenhall.co.uk.

I am a 40L in a jacket, with a 40 inch chest and 37 inch sleeves.

Can you guys help me decide which looks better in terms of versatility (in respect to color combination, and in respect to casual vs sem-formal; i.e. is it able to be dressed up for a sem-formal occasion), and the quality/durability of the product?

Here is the Lands End Jacket: http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-tai...H=IDX_men-_-suits-blazers-_-tall&origin=index

Here is the leadenhall.co.uk Jacket: http://www.leadenhalluk.com/product/Brook Taverner-Harris - I would be looking at the Beige Herringbone jacket.

Tweedy

Reaction score
If money is tight then have you thought about buying a quality secondhand tweed jacket, lots out there ; )

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harris tweed is the real deal. The Lands End looks a pretender to me. If you want to score a deal, look here on B&S and/or drop a PM to forum member Tweedy. He gets great stuff at stupidly cheap prices. If you are not in a huge rush, I would start there.

My question would be are you sure you want to start your jacket collection with a tweed? Do you own a solid navy?

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harris tweed is the real deal. The Lands End looks a pretender to me. If you want to score a deal, look here on B&S and/or drop a PM to forum member Tweedy. He gets great stuff at stupidly cheap prices. If you are not in a huge rush, I would start there.
My question would be are you sure you want to start your jacket collection with a tweed? Do you own a solid navy?

cbbuff is right, you should invest in a solid jacket first.

I concur. You need something more versatile for your first.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have clarified: I do have a blazer already, fret not!

I'm assuming that B & S are the buy and sell threads - I shall check them out.

Another one for you guys to judge : http://harristweedshop.com/sports-jacket.html in the beige herringbone jacket.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Furthermore, what color/style is going to be the most versatile? A brown herringbone? A green herringbone? Not a herringbone?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have a solid Navy, Grey is the most versatile. Herringbone and houndstooth patterns are both good. Brown after that. Green least of all.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
When you say brown, do you mean that tweedy light brown that borders on tan/beige, or do you mean the fully darkened brown?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both really. I wear the lighter tans/beiges in the spring/summer and the darker drowns in the fall/winter for the most part.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Damnit, I really love the browns, but I want something versatile. Decisions, decisions.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damnit, I really love the browns, but I want something versatile. Decisions, decisions. 

The browns will be versatile. Moreso than gray if you tend to wear earthtones like khaki. Gray is great to have, but the brown will pair much better with khaki, olive, blues, though a gray tweed jacket will still work with those colors.

In fact, I would say that brown is the more versatile color, but social convention has it as less formal a color than gray, so it's harder to dress it up. But really, the only color a reasonable brown won't play with that a gray will is black.

Get what you like, but I do recommend secondhand. There's a glut of nice tweed jackets out there, they do last forever. But whatever you do, don't buy these: http://harristweedshop.com/sports-jacket.html
The guy who owns the business that makes those very nearly singlehandedly destroyed the very existence of harris tweed. The story's a bit long, but basically he came into the business, tried to do it his way, failed miserably, and hasn't changed back out of stubborness and/or spite. Meanwhile there are weavers who need yarn (the primary supply was from the factory this guy bought, but he stopped selling yarn to outside weavers), and can't meet demand for larger orders as a result, while the resources they need and could afford are locked down simply because this ass can't come to terms with his failure.

You can recognize them pretty easily- those four colors and that conservative cut.

Other weavers have been working around him, but they're fairly small and constrained.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads