• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Am I a shoe hoarder?

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
On vacation.

Ah. Well, since you've been known to wear a tie on a Saturday, I should think you could wear dress shoes wherever you are on vacation (I guess, unless said vacation is being spent somewhere dress shoes are inappropriate - if there is such a place).

dhinggok

Reaction score
Will cordovan and/or calfskin get damaged over time if they are brand new shoes and in the box, but not treated?

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhinggok
Will cordovan and/or calfskin get damaged over time if they are brand new shoes and in the box, but not treated?
I don't have enough shoes to experience this problem, but I hear they dry out if left unworn for a long time. Best to apply a coat or several of leather conditioner (Saphir RÃ
00a9.png
novateur or something like it) before wearing.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex
Ah. Well, since you've been known to wear a tie on a Saturday, I should think you could wear dress shoes wherever you are on vacation (I guess, unless said vacation is being spent somewhere dress shoes are inappropriate - if there is such a place).

A beach?

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer OP, hoarder compared to whom? Compared to some SF forumers, no. Compared to most of the world, yes.
Originally Posted by NotoriousMarquis
I wouldnt be ashamed, I have like 4x as many shoes as my girlfriend.
Originally Posted by NotoriousMarquis
that's why you're here.
You may have a different problem.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Am I a shoe hoarder?

I don't have crazy amounts of shoes, but I have purchased seven pairs over the Christmas holiday and I probably have 2-3 times the shoes my girlfriend has. I currently have multiple pairs BNIB. We have had a lot of snow and salt in Philadelphia lately, so while I don't coddle my shoes, breaking them in with a salt bath is not the way to go either.

I have a two pairs of EG sleeping in their boxes and a pair of C&J handgrade. I just purchased another pair of EG which brings me to four pairs of quality shoes that have not yet been worn.

I have seen these shows on the Discovery Channel about hoarders, and I'm starting to worry that I may have a shoe hoarding problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

you are within the norm of SF. post photos of the collection!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhinggok

Generally not - because it is the exposure to open air - especially at the thin area around the foot entry point ie below the ankles - where most drying out takes place from long time observation.

IMO vintage shoes that have remained in a controlled moisture present environment (even in say a shoe box) stay relatively supple. That is not to say some Pecards or other leather conditioner is not a good idea over time to rehydrate them. It is the exposure to open air and sun that makes shoes rotten or dry out.

I bought a pair of 1940s spectators from Miami Red Skin recently and they were perfectly supple - and we are taking about buckskin suede not smooth leather.

dshreter

Reaction score
Serious answer - it's only hoarding, or only a problem, if it's coming at the expense of something you wish you were able to do. Like if you couldn't afford something important to you, or you're taking space that's badly needed for something else.

If there's no problem affording it, and it causes no other problems, I don't see why this is different than any other hobby out there.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am bumping this for 2014

I own over 100 pairs of shoes, 400 ties, 200 shirts, 100 belts, etc.
After watching only recently, many episodes of Hoarders I feel that my hobby and collection is in fact, out of control.
My home is not disgustingly dirty like the homes featured on those episodes, but still,
it's probably time I had one massive sale as it is impossible for me to wear it all.
Anyone else in this situation? Fess up because I know you are out there.
We should have a Hoarders Anonymous thread.

Last edited:

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in seeing how you hoarders organize that volume of shoes.

Mind sharing pics of the closet? I kinda need to get one made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads