• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello from a resident of Britain Brit who's been lurking for a while now...

Richdog

Reaction score
As per title, i'm a Brit guy living in Zurich, (Switzerland), lurked for a while (but not too long, I like posting and getting involved rather than sitting there silent endlessly). So, a bit hello to all you guys out there.
bigstar[1].gif
Anyhoo, I turned 30 a couple of weeks ago (sob), and while i've always been more or less happy with the way I dress, I realised that I was still a bit young 20's... too many old printed T-shirts mixed in with the smarter stuff. So, realising I should start being a little more mature in my dress sense (plus Switzerland is quite a smart place in general I guess) I have just now set about smartening up a little bit, bought some RL, Lacoste and Fred Perry Polos, and some slightly varied smart, sharp and slim fitting white and black shirts to go under my smart Navyboot blazer and jackets. I have some awesome pairs of smart and casual shoes, so that's not a problem. However i'm having a bit of trouble (even after searching the forum) finding jeans that really fit me the way I like... I have some Firetrap jeans I bought in the UK that fit me like a glove, but i'm having a really difficult time finding brands outside of the UK which fit like these... close cut to the leg and ass (without being too tight), and then bootcut slightly at the end. Switzerland doesn't have the best choice of clothing so I generally buy most of my stuff on Amazon or EBay. Sooo... can anyone reccommend me some mid and dark-coloured jeans which are slim fitting without being like drainpipes, with a slight bootcut at the end? My size is: W30 L32 I'm also looking for another slim-fitting Blazer (as you guys call it), I currently have a very sharp-fitting one fro Navyboot in light grey and am looking for something simnilar in a charcoal-esque colour, preferable with contrasting (but not too bright) stripes going down it for a really nice smart casual look that will go with shirts, polos, jumpers, or anything within reason that I throw at it. I am a very slim guy and measure a follows: Chest: 36R Height: 5ft 10". Budget is somewhere in the mid-range... a notch below the Guccis and Pradas of this world, somewhere in Ralph Lauren territory. Any advice would be much appreciated.
worship.gif

JensenH

Reaction score
The Street Wear and Denim sub-forum would be helpful in your search for jeans. Good luck and welcome to the S.F.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You have some good shops in Zurich, however expensive.

For jeans, try Fidelio, they have two shops near Bahnhostrasse + one with permanent sales (Rabbatt Fidelio). They have Acne, Nudie and other fashionable jean brands. I like very much Acne (Mic model, or Max for a slim fit). Try to see what size you need and them order them from UK (asos.com) or other sites.

Check other brands in the upscale shops on Bahnhofstrasse , get familiar with their sizing and then find them online. Happy hunting!

BTW, Navyboot is pretty crap for clothing. I've bought too many of their shoes a few years ago, but now I moved on. They used to have sales up to 80%off, but in the last year they've tried to be more exclusive.

Mr Seamaster

Reaction score
Hey Richdog, I too recently joined the forum and funny enough I have very similar dimensions as well.

I have over the year experimented with Levi's, Diesel, Paul and Joe and APC and found that APC cut is quite good to the dimensions that you mentioned.

I would recommend APC New Standard raw denim jeans in W30!

Also when you are next in the UK, pop into Uniqlo and chech out the slim fitting jeans, although the quality is not the same, the cut is pretty good.

Good luck.

Richdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
The Street Wear and Denim sub-forum would be helpful in your search for jeans. Good luck and welcome to the S.F.

I will post more specifically in future, just thught id combine an Intro thread with a couple of other bits as a first hello.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by clausc
Welcome to the forum. You have some good shops in Zurich, however expensive.

For jeans, try Fidelio, they have two shops near Bahnhostrasse + one with permanent sales (Rabbatt Fidelio). They have Acne, Nudie and other fashionable jean brands. I like very much Acne (Mic model, or Max for a slim fit). Try to see what size you need and them order them from UK (asos.com) or other sites.

Check other brands in the upscale shops on Bahnhofstrasse , get familiar with their sizing and then find them online. Happy hunting!

BTW, Navyboot is pretty crap for clothing. I've bought too many of their shoes a few years ago, but now I moved on. They used to have sales up to 80%off, but in the last year they've tried to be more exclusive.

Cheers, some good avcice there re: jeans, thanks... was just in town now and forgot to look in Rabbatt Fidelio, doh! I don't buy Navyboot apart from the blazers, as the 46 really does fit me like a glove and always draws nice comments. I get all my shoes from England for about half the prie as they are here.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Seamaster
Hey Richdog, I too recently joined the forum and funny enough I have very similar dimensions as well.

I have over the year experimented with Levi's, Diesel, Paul and Joe and APC and found that APC cut is quite good to the dimensions that you mentioned.

I would recommend APC New Standard raw denim jeans in W30!

Also when you are next in the UK, pop into Uniqlo and chech out the slim fitting jeans, although the quality is not the same, the cut is pretty good.

Good luck.

APC New Standard look out, will check them out.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Richdog, while this might be your first post, there was a video of your initial shopping attempts posted already.

Richdog braves the store.

Welcome to teh StyleForvm.

- B

Hah, usually it's the assistants who fear me... I have no tolerance for anyone shadowing me like a lost pup while I check out clothes... and Zurich is particularly bad for assistants pecking at you incessantly while you're trying to shop. I like a bit of help when im in there, but if I want them I will ask... hound me at thy peril.
devil.gif

----------------------------

So any slim blazer recommendations anyone?
smile.gif

jambo

Reaction score
Richdog,

I was just in Zurich, and yes, it is a beautiful city, and I was surprised at how sharply dressed everyone was. On weekdays, the men and women are in sharp, finely tailored suits (all bankers, I presume), and on weekends, there are lots of slim fitting jeans, nice shoes, and blazers on the men (the women are nicer to look at, however).

Try Diesel jeans. In the U.S. at least, there are many, many people that have found them to be the best jeans that they have found. Not only do they fit great, but the quality of the denim is really high. They also have a pretty subtle bootcut. In my experience, they fit pretty true, so if online is your only option, you have a good chance that a 30X32 will fit well.

Hope this helps.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Can I ask why you want a pinstriped odd jacket?

Richdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jambo
Richdog, I was just in Zurich, and yes, it is a beautiful city, and I was surprised at how sharply dressed everyone was. On weekdays, the men and women are in sharp, finely tailored suits (all bankers, I presume), and on weekends, there are lots of slim fitting jeans, nice shoes, and blazers on the men (the women are nicer to look at, however). Try Diesel jeans. In the U.S. at least, there are many, many people that have found them to be the best jeans that they have found. Not only do they fit great, but the quality of the denim is really high. They also have a pretty subtle bootcut. In my experience, they fit pretty true, so if online is your only option, you have a good chance that a 30X32 will fit well. Hope this helps.
Hi mate, it is indeed a beautiful city, im lucky to live there! Ive seen a few pairs of Diesel jeans but they were all very narrow at the bottom so I gave them a wide berth. I shall however, go back in the Diesel shop and spend an hour or so in there digging around everything on your reccommendation.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by alliswell
Welcome. Can I ask why you want a pinstriped odd jacket?
Because I tried one on last season and it looked awesome but at the time I couldn't buy it, and the problem is that Navyboot have changed the range this year and I can't find it anywhere now. There was nothing odd about it.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh alright. That's as good a reason as any. I didn't mean to imply, by the way, that your choice is "odd" - when we're not calling them blazers around here, we also call sportcoats "odd jackets", because trousers and coat don't follow "suit".

Richdog

Reaction score
Ahh I see, sorry if I misunderstood heh, im not familiar with the U.S. fashion anacronisms so it may take me a bit to catch up.
wink.gif
I like to wear modern sharp-fitting blazers with a white or black shirt and mid to dark wash jeans, the ladies seem to love it... and my current blazer is lighter so I need something darker,. Im so jealous you guys have shops like J.Crew... we have nothing like that over here. I want this http://www.jcrew.com/mens_special_si...coat/17972.jsp So many amazing cashmere sweaters too... sigh.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads