• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HD flat panel televisions (small)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas,

I'm planning on buying a small flat panel HDTV. I'm looking for something in the 19" - 20" range. I also like that some of them have a DVD player that comes right on the tv because I don't really have space for a DVD player in my bedroom. I'm thinking about going with the Sharp 19" 720p Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV/DVD Combo. Anyone have any experience with this or can recommend something else?

OE

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Find a copy of the recommended products issue of The Perfect Vision. They do the best job on TVs I have found.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already bought it. We shall see if it's any good.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
19-20" seems awful small even for a bedroom. How about this 27" for 285.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=612026

A lot of thumbs up and people getting the deal.

I have a pretty small bedroom (10x13), and I wanted to get something with a DVD player imbedded so that I don't have to have extra equipment cluttering the room. That's a damn good offer though for anyone in the market for a tv of that size.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
odoreater, did you buy that Sharp? If so, how is it? I want to get a smaller TV and the built in would help.

Yeah, I got the Sharp and I'm pretty happy with it. Having the built in DVD is a nice touch and helps save on the clutter. The picture quality is good at most viewing angles. The only problem is that I have it set up on top of a 6 foot tall chest so that the screen faces straight and when I lay on the bed and watch tv the picture is a little darker. It would be perfectly fine if I had it on a wall mount where I could angle the screen downwards.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can recommend a 60" HD flat panel by NEC. Other than that, I don't have a lot of experience with the smaller versions. I think my cousins have the Sharp that you purchased, OE, and they seem pretty happy with it.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I can recommend a 60" HD flat panel by NEC. Other than that, I don't have a lot of experience with the smaller versions. I think my cousins have the Sharp that you purchased, OE, and they seem pretty happy with it.

When I move into a house in about a year, I'm going to use the 35" we now have in the living room for the bedroom, and I'm going to get a 60" for the living room. That's going to be sweet.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased the 60" Sony KDS-60A3000. Buy it. Ignore Connemara.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I just purchased the 60" Sony KDS-60A3000. Buy it. Ignore Connemara.

+1 on Sony's big screen TV's. I have a KDF-60XS955 60" 720p 3LCD rear projection TV (bought when they first came out) and it's been amazing.

The new 1080p Sony's with Iris technology are really spectacular.

Jon.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, here is an embarassingly naive question/request: we are going to get a television to supplement our 12 year-old, little-used, 13 inch(?
confused.gif
) Sony Trinitron. We'd like something bigger and, I suppose, flat screen(again, ?
confused.gif
). I think the embedded DVD player sounds like a good idea, as this is what it will be used for primarily. I don't really know what HD is, and I don't think we want it. Any thoughts or recommendations as to brand and size? Obviously flat screens are not the $10,000 things (plasma?) that mount flush w/ the wall & you'd see in some bars.....

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, every TV made nowadays (for the 1st world market) is an HD-capable TV, and comes in 16:9 ratio sizes. Whether you want to have HD or not is up to you, but the TV will come with the ability to display TV shows broadcast in HD.

I would recommend:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665192800

It's bigger than your previous TV and should suit your needs perfectly. How much bigger were you thinking of getting?

Jon.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh boy, I knew I was opening a can of worms. What does '16:9 ratio' mean? You measure on the diagonal, right? Are there standard size increments? I would guess something in the upper 20's....

Is there a technological reason to favor or avoid the built-in dvd player? I seem to remember when the first tv's w/ built-in vcr's came out they were poorly received...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics