• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you liked the girl (boy) your brother (sister) is about to marry?

holla7577

Reaction score
Warning: Long post below

I preface this by saying, I am not tight with my younger brother. He's extremely bright and extremely knowledgeable. For example, he studied for a month for the LSAT, and got in the 99th percentile and went to a top ten law school (I'll come back to this). He studied for a month on the GMAT and got into the 99th percentile as well. He's just one of those guys that can absorb material really well. He writes well and comes across always prepared for any topic you choose to discuss with him.

To be blunt, we don't have much in common. I can only deal with him in doses and I just get irritated and just need to leave the room. He simply doesn't have positive vibe. He comes across very arrogant. Almost every time you say something, he always needs to qualify it. Everything is an argument with him. For example, you could say, "I bought this jacket at XXXX Store for $150". He would answer back, "I could've gotten that for $20 less. Or, You could be walking down the road, and say, "I really like the Cadillac Escalade," and he would retort back saying, "I'd rather get a Yukon Denali because of this..." I could go on.... He's just socially unintelligent.

He went to a top 10 law school (Northwestern), finish in the top 40%, and could not get a job after a law school. Given that he's pretty high on himself, he only applied to top law firms which he didn't get into. Through a contact, my dad got him the job at a law firm in LA (this job was my brother's first paying job he's ever had). After 2 years of working at the law firm, he got laid off. He then went to get his MBA. Keep in mind, this whole time, my dad paid for his downtown Chicago condo, law school tuition, and mba tuition costs this whole time. After my brother got laid off from his law firm, my dad has paid the mortgage on my brother's Santa Monica condo.

I say all this stuff about him, but my brother is an honest and nice kid. But, he puts up this front as if he feels he needs to substantiate himself in the room with his intelligence. Plus, my parents always bail him out - whether be getting a law firm job, paying his mortgage, etc.

He really doesn't have any close friends. His so-called best friend is a family friend that we grew up with. My brother only sees him 6-7 times a year. Up until last year, he never had a girlfriend- in undergrad, graduate school (in Chicago, no less), and now in Los Angeles. He says he's dated people, but no one has ever seen any girl he's been with. He tried the Match.com and then tried Eharmony. About a year ago- On eHarmony, some girl sent him a message, they met and have been dating ever since.

About the girl -
She's from Virginia originally. Worked in Santa Barbara as a HR generalist. She was planning on moving back east before she met my brother online. After 4 months of dating, she quit her job in SB and moved down to LA and found a job in HR. She now lives 5 miles from my brother.

Appearance-wise, she doesn't really take care of herself. She's really skinny, doesn't do her hair (it smells like a carcass), bushy eyebrows, and has a weird body odor. I think tree hugger when I see her. Having said all that, you would think if she had a nice personality, any of her physical attributes would be forgotten. Um no. The first time I met her, she asked me one question about yoga since she's really into it. I answered that I do it on occasion. Silence. I asked her questions about her family and background, and she just gave one word or terse responses. She didn't seem interested. She just looked down and it was like birds chirping. She's seemed insecure and quiet, which doesn't make sense since she's in Human Resources. My wife went out of her way to befriend her, but the girlfriend just doesn't try or make any attempt. So, my wife doesn't like her. For the sake of time, my sister doesn't think much of her either. You would think you would make some effort when you meet your boyfriend's family.

My brother says she's changed him. He says she's calmed him down. He takes her everywhere and introduces her to family and friends. He literally parades her like a rag doll (pun intended). All this I get- first girlfriend and all. When I gather the opinions of friends and family about the girlfriend, the unanimous response is this: "She seems nice. I really couldn't get a pulse about her because your brother talked the whole time. But your brother seems to be really happy. But, regarding her physical appearance, I don't want to go there." I even get these responses from people who have met her three separate times, I might add. They never really are giving an opinion about the girl, but more are just happy that my brother is happy. They continue to say that there is no point telling my brother what they really think because my brother would never listen to them anyways.

My sister and brother have a better mutual relationship than I have with him. My sister lives in the same condo as him. She just helps pay the mortgage and has a room there. After 6 months of dating, my brother gave the girlfriend the key to the condo. So essentially, every night, the girlfriend would come to the condo and makes herself at home. After some weeks, my sister got fed up. My sister wrote a scathing e-mail about the girlfriend and sent it to my brother. The e-mail pretty much explains why this girl is not for him- she doesn't try or make any attempt to converse, she doesn't care, she's annoying, etc. What does my brother do? He shows the girlfriend the e-mail. In a sense, all the reasons why we (my brother and I) aren't close was validated by my brother's breach of trust with his own sister. He now has essentially favored some girl he met online over his own sister. My sister felt bad because there were really hurtful things in the e-mail, and now the girlfriend knows. To exascerbate things, my brother also mentioned to his girlfriend why my wife dislikes her. Needless to stay, the girlfriend isn't fond of my wife and sister. My parents are easy going, but even they say, "What can we do? It's his life"

So what's my opinion? The girlfriend was what I expected my brother to be with. Someone insecure, quiet, bland, no personality, not really attractive, and content being in my brother's shadow. I think the way my brother is showing her off does a disservice to the girlfriend as she clearly not prepared to meet our family and extended family so quickly. But, in the end, it's my brother's life and he can do whatever he wants.

I see the disappointment in my parent's face, my wife's face, and my sister's face, for they expected someone better for my brother. It's a sore topic of conversation amongst several family members and extended family as they clearly are not impressed with the girlfriend. But, at the end of the day, my brother won't listen. For me, I really don't care. But, I hear the groans and disappointment from nearly everyone else.

(if you are still awake) My question is - Do you do anything or just let him be?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where's that Colin Powell jpeg?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, if I were you I'd just let him be considering how you guys aren't really close.

But for the sake of your parents and your sister, I'd be tempted to give somewhat of an effort.

In the end, it's his call. Some people are stubborn like that, and can't see things from any other perspective than their own.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Where's that Colin Powell jpeg?

What Colin Powell jpeg?
wink.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
frustrating story. i can empathise, not because i went through something similar, but i know how it could be when you and your sibling conflict in life decisions but gets all complicated when it involves the whole family.

there is no real one solution or quick resolution. just got to find the fine line between what to leave him alone in for the sake of his own life (and what he's got to go through before realizing the context of everything and that he's not the center of the universe) and where you need to stand to defend from other loved ones getting smashed or hurt.

it's a long road ahead but i know you'll be able to find your way through.

kakemono

Reaction score
It sounds like you have more of an issue with your brother than you do your brother's wife. You can't even have sibling discourse. I think you can have an effective relationship with your brother's girlfriend even if you don't like her - if your brother facilitates it. It should be your brother's responsibility to ween her into your family's atmosphere.

That said... with the title, I like my brother-in-law. I would be his friend even without my sister.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my sister has a lot going for her, but she is also a huge rolling ball of rage, and is on the extreme end of unatractiveness. at age 40, she found the love of her life and got married.

he is a bum - literally. 45, never really had a job. they've been together 6 years and he hasn't worked a day in that time. I don't believe he really worked before that. he is about the most unatractive man that you can imagine. I think that he has some variation on aspergers or something, because he really has serious problems in a lot of ways that may be assosiated with aspergers. he isn't stupid, but he also isn't really that bright, as far as I can see. my sister has an iq of around 150, and while she says he is smarter than he is, I can't ever seem to find anything smart about him.

but they love each other, and they are happy.

anyway, so, I treat him well, I am thrilled that somebody married my sister, and keeps her happy. and I hope that he lives as long as she does, so that she has him for life. (and I already have a plan - if she dies first I'll take him for a long drive and leave him without any id at a gas station in idaho, and let social services deal with him).

make the best of it, your brother has his own issues, and it sounds like a he found his match. good for them.

holla7577

Reaction score
Once I posted this, I realized my title was off base; because, in all actuality, I don't really have anything bad to say about the GF because she is what I expected him to be with.

Kakemono, you are right. My problem is more with my brother than with his girlfriend. For whatever reason, the GF is not comfortable in social environments and my brother doesn't help her cause by bringing her out and showing her off. I actually feel bad for the GF given how much negativity she's received from family/friends.

Perhaps, everyone looks at it differently. I always asked my friends and family what they thought of my wife to ensure I didn't have my blinders on. If my wife's family/friends talked behind my back (and I knew they were doing so) and made it known they really didn't like me, would I put myself through such a relationship? But, the Gf and bro are kind of similar. Both are somewhat socially awkward, but they've found someone that completes them. How can anyone argue against that?

The weird thing is that all the people that like my brother expect someone better for him. Me, on the other hand, expected someone like the GF.

At the end of the day, if he's happy then let it be. I figured there were enough smart souls on this that could provide additional advice.
smile.gif

I appreciate the insightful comments from all of you.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
my sister has a lot going for her, but she is also a huge rolling ball of rage, and is on the extreme end of unatractiveness. at age 40, she found the love of her life and got married.

he is a bum - literally. 45, never really had a job. they've been together 6 years and he hasn't worked a day in that time. I don't believe he really worked before that. he is about the most unatractive man that you can imagine. I think that he has some variation on aspergers or something, because he really has serious problems in a lot of ways that may be assosiated with aspergers. he isn't stupid, but he also isn't really that bright, as far as I can see. my sister has an iq of around 150, and while she says he is smarter than he is, I can't ever seem to find anything smart about him.

but they love each other, and they are happy.

anyway, so, I treat him well, I am thrilled that somebody married my sister, and keeps her happy. and I hope that he lives as long as she does, so that she has him for life. (and I already have a plan - if she dies first I'll take him for a long drive and leave him without any id at a gas station in idaho, and let social services deal with him).

make the best of it, your brother has his own issues, and it sounds like a he found his match. good for them.

Your in-law stories always take the cake.

holla7577

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I think it's important to note that all the problems seem to be between the women. That's a big hint. It's his life. Leave him and his gf alone.

I only mentioned my sister and wife because they are two people most disappointed and close to my brother.

For the sake of time and further banter, I didn't mention my uncle and cousin (a guy) who are hell bent finding another girl for my brother. I've told them it's a fruitless endeavor. But, they're determined nonethless.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your folks said it best:
"What can we do? It's his life"
Your brother is a grown up, and things like this happen a lot (well except for the part where the girl's hair stinks
smile.gif
) Things will find their place eventually- you may even find whatever your brother likes in that girl agreeable.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CLIFF NOTES, Please

Brutus

Reaction score
Dude, you = me (in this case) only my experience is with a brother in the figurative sense. My best friend actually told his fiance (GF at the time) that I didn't like her and probably even added in why. I hope she had that hour to spare. She's not quite as anti-social as you seem to be experiencing because this girl (my friend's) I can tell puts in the effort to try and change my mind. Still
plain.gif
. Honestly, the best part was when you were describing what everyone else would say.
crackup[1].gif
People are so afraid to tell the truth sometimes. Who's going to be the best man at the wedding? I have that honor and I am indeed honored (considering he has two blood brothers) but man I've got some thinking to do before I give that toast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads