• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have a Julep - with your Summer Clothing

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I love juleps, though I'm sure I make them all wrong. I probably buy the wrong whiskey and everything. Thanks for bringing this topic up - I'll have to do these when I get back from Japan.

Now, does anyone have a good source for the julep cups? I've been haunting antique stores looking for some real ones for years. They seem to have gone the way of the grapefruit spoon.

Jill: Excellent ensembles. I'd go with the third myself. Love the white tie.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J - search Ebay - they sell an official Julep glass every year at the derby. My high school & College GF had like 40 years worth.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that combobulation is "stylish." However, it simply says "out of town" to me. Lots of those arriving for the Derby. Easy marks for the horse trainers and breeders to spot at the parties.

They take a farm tour, buy a yearling or two, leave some real cash in Kentucky, and head home to future expenses, thank you very much.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that combobulation is "stylish."  However, it simply says "out of town" to me.  Lots of those arriving for the Derby.  Easy marks for the horse trainers and breeders to spot at the parties.

They take a farm tour, buy a yearling or two, leave some real cash in Kentucky, and head home to future expenses, thank you very much.
....why the heck do you think we serve them Juleps?

LOL Shhhh..... that's supposed to be a secret Charley, not fair telling the tourists about the trap.

FWIW - if any of y'all make it to Lexington sometime tour the Kentucky Horse Park and at least one farm.... makes a very pleasant day.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, this is the best I could do with stuff laying around the house in a moments notice. Â It goes without saying that the shoe is a buc or (preferably) spectator...
01.jpg
Ralph Lauren beige DB seersucker suit, lt blue Carlo Franco shirt, bow tie (not exactly CF - just a sample we were playing with before deciding against them.)
02.jpg
Same, with a "real" CF tie.
03.jpg
Ralph Lauren Ivory DB Linen Suit, CF shirt & tie (of course)
04.jpg
OK, Derby Day is the one day of the year to do a little bit of "festive" summer attire in a way you probably wouldn't do the rest of the year. Â RL linen suit, Turnbull & Asser shirt, CF tie. I had a few others, but got tired of editing photos. Â Most of all ~ Have Fun. Â Juleps up..
With a vintage 1920's Borsalino hat, and Wayfarer sunglasses of course. A pocket watch preferably.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, does anyone have a good source for the julep cups? I've been haunting antique stores looking for some real ones for years. They seem to have gone the way of the grapefruit spoon.
Go to Ebay and search for "Sterling (julep, julip)" and you will see a lot of them. New ones are being made and are available. Nothing wrong with them at all. Same silver cups they were making in 1950 if the marks are the same. Avoid the ones with a rolled edge base as they are easily bent. They are a somewhat regional item though. I just bought one for a gift from a local antiques store. $140 after the cash discount. Nice cup, but "new" and nothing remarkable. The very early coin silver ones can be $800 to several thousand, depending upon the notoriety of the maker. This is an extreme example -two for $5,800. http://www.jdweedco.com/silver/silver10.htm

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in the earlier post,
That shop had grapefruit spoons.
What is your pattern and how many do you have for breakfast?

tgfny

Reaction score
I love juleps, though I'm sure I make them all wrong. I probably buy the wrong whiskey and everything. Thanks for bringing this topic up - I'll have to do these when I get back from Japan.

Jill: Excellent ensembles. I'd go with the third myself. Love the white tie.
My mother gives me an engraved sterling one every year. She found a silver store in Atlanta that still does proper ones. I think it's called Anne Robinson, but I'm not 100% sure.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking of course...
Does anyone know how to:

A: Get rid of a Julep hangover
B: Know how to remove 5 small men with hammers from one's cranium

No particular reason for the question... just wondering

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking of course...
Does anyone know how to:

A:  Get rid of a Julep hangover
B:  Know how to remove 5 small men with hammers from one's cranium

No particular reason for the question... just wondering
Have another julep,

That makes everything better.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh man, all that crushing and mashing and mincing...not very fun morning-after activities. just grab the bourbon and a mint-flavored skoal bandit.

(hee hee)

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I made and drank many a julep yesterday. One of my favorite days of the year. I make mine by muddling simple syrup and mint, then pouring in the bourbon, adding ice, a quick stir and drink. Yum.

For all the people from Kentucky - how can they sing "My Old Kentucky Home" before the derby? Given the lyrics, I would think that people would and should be up in arms about it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
For all the people from Kentucky - how can they sing "My Old Kentucky Home" before the derby?  Given the lyrics, I would think that people would and should be up in arms about it.
The lyrics have been sufficiently bowdlerized that I would think only those looking to be offended would be.

It is the most beautiful of state songs.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
The lyrics have been sufficiently bowdlerized that I would think only those looking to be offended would be.

It is the most beautiful of state songs.
You might be right - I can't even think of another state song.

But just because they replace the word "******" with "people" doesn't absolve anyone of a racist history or give justification to celebrate that history in a song.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads