• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone here purchased a Keyport?

Gene Parmesan

Reaction score
So I recently stumbled across the Keyport, supposedly an alternative to keychains. It looks like a good innovation, but seems disproportionately costly and time consuming to sort out. Plus, considering my university accommodation changes so frequently, I'd spend a fair bit on getting new keys sorted out for it each time. Has anybody here used one, do you like it and would you recommend it to others?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keys spread out and flatten inside a pocket. A keyport would not be able to do that. It seems a good product for a woman however.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Keys spread out and flatten inside a pocket. A keyport would not be able to do that. It seems a good product for a woman however.

They also gradually put holes in pocks, and they never are totally flat because of the keychain. I ******* hate keys.

The keyport is a nice idea, but unfortunately, now I have to carry 2 swipe passes on my keychain that wouldn't go in a keyport and so i'd still have to carry a damned keychain.

WUKILLABEEZ78

Reaction score
Keyport looks cook, I'd never seen or heard of it before seeing this post. I limit the amount of keys I carry by using one larger keychain with the keys on it separated with keyrings depending on what they're for (home,work,car,etc...). So if when I'm leaving my car I leave the keys I don't need behind on the keychain (locked in my car) and take off and carry the keyring with the car keys on it. Saves me from having to carry all the keys I don't need.

thekeyport

Reaction score
Gene:

I came across your post this morning and thought that I would chime in. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a member of the Keyport, Inc. team and a longtime Keyport user. I travel extensively and take my Keyport with me everywhere.

While I am a bit biased of course, I think that you would find the Keyport to be both a stylish and functional alternative to your current keychain. Here are a few resources that would be useful in learning more about it:
  • Our website, www.mykeyport.com, is a good place to start and should give you all the basics - product description and specs, advantages vs. traditional keychain, basic feedback, etc.
  • Check out our Facebook (www.facebook.com/thekeyport) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/thekeyport) pages for customer feedback as there is quite a bit on there.
  • We have been pretty extensively reviewed including such sites as CNET, Engadget, Gears of Biz, and a host of others
  • To see the Keyport in action, take a look at one of our videos -

I would also like to briefly address a few comments from this thread:
  • While a conventional keychain with only a couple of keys may "lay flat" in your pocket, a fully loaded Keyport often weighs less than 6 standard keys and is no bigger than a standard auto key fob. I run with it every day, and I don't even feel it in my pocket. In addition, the Keyport does not jingle, does not scratch your cellphone as do traditional keys, includes a unique serial number which can be used to reunite a lost Keyport with its owner, and allows access to all of the keys and inserts with just one hand (vs. a keychain which often requires both to sort through and grab the right key). In addition to the Keyport's utility, it is a giant leap forward as far as style is concerned...and this is styleforum after all...
  • Keyport also offers a 4GB or 8GB USB flash drive, mini-LED, and bottle opener as options (as well as others to follow) - not so easy to build your own...
  • While the product is certainly great for women - increased safety (not digging in the bottom of a purse with your head down to find your keys), one handed access for opening doors without having to put everything down first, etc. - the majority of Keyport owners today are men - active, style conscious, gadget savvy - who are looking to minimize what they carry while maximizing their utility.
  • While getting a Keyport is a bit more work than buying one at your local Brookstone, it is a pretty painless process: download our Key ID Form, place your keys on the form, snap a couple of photos, and upload them to us (takes no more than a couple of minutes). We identify your keys by key number and send you the corresponding blanks with your order which you can take to any locksmith to be duplicated. In the vast majority of cases, we do not need a physical copy of any of your keys.
  • While we do not integrate swipe passes on a regular basis, for a vision of what's to come, take a look at this hack by one of our customers who integrated all of his rfid chips - http://www.regnatarajan.com/2011/03/...rt-into-a-fob/
  • Of course, there is the cost, and we can appreciate the apprehension. But to be honest with you, I do not think that a $10 keychain is a reasonable apples-to-apples comparison to the Keyport. You can take a look at our blog post on this - http://blog.mykeyport.com/2011/02/26...er-you-decide/ In short, just as I would not compare a rotary phone with an iPhone, the differences between the two are substantial even though their base function is the same. You probably pay at least $75 for a quality wallet, $100 for a pair of name brand sunglasses, a couple hundred for a cellphone, and perhaps even thousands for a watch - all of which have very inexpensive alternatives. That said, we are working diligently to reduce the cost while keeping design, manufacturing, and assembly in the U.S., continue to hand assemble and test each Keyport before we ship it out, and maintain our top notch customer support, which we feel is a critical component of the overall experience.

Thanks for your interest in Keyport. We're excited that you have found us. We strive to make Keyport an indispensable tool for our customers, and I hope that we can earn a place in your pocket in the not-too-distant future.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to drop us an email at [email protected] or give us a ring at (855) KEYPORT anytime.

Cheers,

David

"Fashions fade, style is eternal." ~ Yves St. Laurent

stormin10

Reaction score
I bought one a while back and although they are pretty cool, they just weren't worth the price paid. I mean they clear up clutter in your pockets and attract their shar of attention when opening your car,door etc. I did not keep mine in the end because once you have more keys than the allotted spots you end up with a keychain and the Keyport so I sold mine.

Overall I probably wouldn't buy another one simply because of their price point being so high.

Gene Parmesan

Reaction score
Gotta thank you for the post David, it can't be fun trawling the internet for mentions of Keyport! I'm still thinking about getting one - the three main problems I face are being in the UK, having two very important keys which are chunky and won't fit, and the price point (the latter being the least problematic of the three)

thekeyport

Reaction score
No worries Gene. Actually, your question appeared on a Google search I was doing, so I wanted to add my two cents for what it is worth. We are doing quite a bit of business in the UK these days, and we are exploring a couple of interesting UK partnerships. So, keep an eye out for an us.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd buy one if I could walk into a shop, say Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire, and have them put it together for me then and there with some special machine for $20-$40. No way am I spending three figures.

Gene Parmesan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekeyport
No worries Gene. Actually, your question appeared on a Google search I was doing, so I wanted to add my two cents for what it is worth. We are doing quite a bit of business in the UK these days, and we are exploring a couple of interesting UK partnerships. So, keep an eye out for an us.

Sounds promising, and I reckon it would sell well in the UK if manufactured locally and priced competitively. It's the kind of thing we lap up if we can justify it. Looking forward to seeing more in the future.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thejazzcat