• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry Rosen Sales, Hugo Boss Suits and Samuelsohn

NewtoSF

Reaction score
Hi All,

Canadian here based in Toronto, starting a legal career and slowly building a workhorse wardrobe. From reading previous posts I understand the general consensus is HR is overpriced and Boss is generally frowned upon. I also understand Samuelsohn is a quality brand because of the full-canvas and price point, however I am curious about the following:

1) HR has sales on Boss suits right now where they are $359.99, plus additional 20% in cart, so $325 after tax, some of them are advertised as semi/half-canvas like this one BOSS Huge6/Genius5 Slim-Fit Checked Wool Suit | Suits | Harry Rosen first question is at this price point is Boss worth it?

2) Some OTR Samuelsohn's are currently available for around $1000 tax included, is this a good deal?
I lucked out (I think) and got a 38R navy checked Samuelsohn in the Cosmo fit for $541 total the other day but have never seen one for that low since.

3) In general, when HR has sales like this is it worth it to shop there? The lifetime alterations and convenience of living 5 minutes from the Eaton Centre location are appealing to me. I would never pay full price for any of their suits but just trying to figure out if even at these sale prices SF members find it overpriced?

Later in life when I have more money will definitely consider Garrison but for right now wondering what your thoughts are on the above. Thanks!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a good deal for a Sammy if it fits. I know of Harry Rosen but not being Canadian I’ve never really patronized them.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think the Samuelsohn is a good deal at those price ranges. I have no experience with Hugo Boss or half-canvassed suits in general, so I'm not sure if they're a good value. Definitely a cheap price though.

Have you considered other retailers too? We have a number of very good stores in Toronto, even if bespoke isn't in the budget. Harry Rosen is like our Brooks Brothers, but what about our Paul Stuarts? (Holt's, Zegna, etc.)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the expensive hobby that is classical menswear!

I don’t think that Boss suit you linked is canvassed. The only Boss suits with canvassing are from their Tailoring line.

That’s a good price for a Samuelsohn.
Cosmo is a regular fit with moderate shoulder padding. Gorge is slightly lower than the Madison model (I’m partial to Madison as it has a thinner shoulder pad, but it’s a matter of preference and body type).

Note that Samuelsohn comes in single sizes, so if 38R is too tight, you can try a 39R.

A few more tips.

1. Instead of garrison, you can do made to measure through Harry Rosen. Prices range from about $900 to 5k+ depending on the brand. I’ve used their MTM for Samuelsohn and been very happy with the results.

2. Try the Harry Rosen outlet. Good prices there as well.

3. Holt Renfrew has heavy markdowns that go as low as 80% off.

Feel free to post pics of the suit once it arrives.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Try Spier. I wouldn't consider Garrison. Too pushy and not good value imho. Samuelsohn is good value on sale. I'm a lawyer in TO btw.

NewtoSF

Reaction score
Welcome to the expensive hobby that is classical menswear!

I don’t think that Boss suit you linked is canvassed. The only Boss suits with canvassing are from their Tailoring line.

That’s a good price for a Samuelsohn.
Cosmo is a regular fit with moderate shoulder padding. Gorge is slightly lower than the Madison model (I’m partial to Madison as it has a thinner shoulder pad, but it’s a matter of preference and body type).

Note that Samuelsohn comes in single sizes, so if 38R is too tight, you can try a 39R.

A few more tips.

1. Instead of garrison, you can do made to measure through Harry Rosen. Prices range from about $900 to 5k+ depending on the brand. I’ve used their MTM for Samuelsohn and been very happy with the results.

2. Try the Harry Rosen outlet. Good prices there as well.

3. Holt Renfrew has heavy markdowns that go as low as 80% off.

Feel free to post pics of the suit once it arrives.

Thanks for the tips. Side note about the Boss suit: I was confused too because that is what I've read elsewhere but HR said semi-canvas in it's description, which is something it leaves out for other Boss suits
BOSS Novan6/Ben2 Slim-Fit Traceable Wool Suit | Suits | Harry Rosen compare this one to the one I linked.

NewtoSF

Reaction score
Try Spier. I wouldn't consider Garrison. Too pushy and not good value imho. Samuelsohn is good value on sale. I'm a lawyer in TO btw.

Interesting and thanks. good to know. wasn't planning on checking out Garrison until much later in the career, but I appreciate the tip. Spier's cost for full canvas seems to be reasonable.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Canadian here based in Toronto, starting a legal career and slowly building a workhorse wardrobe. From reading previous posts I understand the general consensus is HR is overpriced and Boss is generally frowned upon. I also understand Samuelsohn is a quality brand because of the full-canvas and price point, however I am curious about the following:

1) HR has sales on Boss suits right now where they are $359.99, plus additional 20% in cart, so $325 after tax, some of them are advertised as semi/half-canvas like this one BOSS Huge6/Genius5 Slim-Fit Checked Wool Suit | Suits | Harry Rosen first question is at this price point is Boss worth it?

2) Some OTR Samuelsohn's are currently available for around $1000 tax included, is this a good deal?
I lucked out (I think) and got a 38R navy checked Samuelsohn in the Cosmo fit for $541 total the other day but have never seen one for that low since.

3) In general, when HR has sales like this is it worth it to shop there? The lifetime alterations and convenience of living 5 minutes from the Eaton Centre location are appealing to me. I would never pay full price for any of their suits but just trying to figure out if even at these sale prices SF members find it overpriced?

Later in life when I have more money will definitely consider Garrison but for right now wondering what your thoughts are on the above. Thanks!
The Boss suits at that price are a fair option - especially if they fit you well. Considering the Toronto market is grossly over-priced, you'd be hard pressed to find something substantially better at the same price. Definitely look into Spier & Mackay as well.

Think of this: the Sammy is almost 3 X the price of the Boss so you need to decide if it's work it to you. For someone starting out, Boss suits are not a bad way to build a starter wardrobe.

But besides all the above - why worry about what strangers on the internet think? If you can wear a suit well then the brand doesn't matter. I've seen J Crew suits look dashing with some minor adjustments on some dudes........which can be had for about $200 if your timing on their sales is on point. And I've seen guys spend $2K on custom/bespoke garments which look very average or even cheap. Some guys cannot wear a suit well, period.

But what does it really matter?

Enjoy the process =)

TimpD

Reaction score
Hi All,

Theyre even cheaper now. 50-60%off plus 20% FWIW

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads