• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harris Tweed Sport Coats Sold at Walmart Proxy

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I give up. Not to knock those trying to making a dime on this, but why would you buy an ill-fitting Harris Tweed at Wal-Mart when you can buy ill-fitting Harris Tweed at nearly every thrift store in America for less than $10? I passed up four last week.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I wonder if it has to do with your region - warmer, Southern climate etc. We get nothing here in Omaha, but a local Walmart had quite of few of these jackets. I must concur with those who have complained about the wonky shoulders. I tried on numerous sizes and the shoulder dimples were all atrocious. The fit in general was not very flattering. I must admit I was tempted to buy a few jackets with the sweet wooden hangers and then return them without the hangers, but my conscience wouldn't let me do it!

This could very well be true. Although, I find other department stores carrying winter wear made for frozen climates. The best part I am able to pick these items up at a ridiculous discount since they never sell here e.g. was able to purchase a nice black overcoat for $70 (normally $450).

steveoly

Reaction score

As long as the shoulders fit I can get my tailor to get rid of the "boxyness" (is that how you put it?).

We'll see in a few minutes...

Slimming sleeves and body - not a problem but I am thinking the shoulder issue isn't as simple. IIRC shoulder divots could be a problem stemming from the armhole. In general I'm thinking YMMV with a should fix depending on skill and pricing of one's tailor.

I give up. Not to knock those trying to making a dime on this, but why would you buy an ill-fitting Harris Tweed at Wal-Mart when you can buy ill-fitting Harris Tweed at nearly every thrift store in America for less than $10? I passed up four last week.

This is true. But the wooden hangers are awesome.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Are the shoulders that bad? Simple little fixes can be done to help improve fit.

And all the Harris tweed coats I ever came across in goodwill stores are ill-fitting, older lapel style, and/or just worn to hell.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are the shoulders that bad? Simple little fixes can be done to help improve fit.

And all the Harris tweed coats I ever came across in goodwill stores are ill-fitting, older lapel style, and/or just worn to hell.

I've guess I've been lucky lately. They've all been "new" with pockets still sewn shut and replacement buttons attached in a baggie. Yes they are vintage, but in my neighborhood, quite fashionable.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've guess I've been lucky lately. They've all been "new" with pockets still sewn shut and replacement buttons attached in a baggie. Yes they are vintage, but in my neighborhood, quite fashionable.

Another reason why I hate Arizona. Would never find what you just described here.

steveoly

Reaction score

I thought so. In general the fit was just overall weird. Big shoulders, boxy body, and the coats were surprisingly short too. If it fit like a glove, I would have bought one, but IMO the way it fit me it wasn't going to be worth the time and money for tailoring.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys, why all the belly aching?

The fabric is great. it comes with a nice hanger.

The shape is eh, but for $75 and you like the tweed, you buy it, and tailor it.

I did. I got the quarters rounded, the shoulder pads removed and nip in the waist and chest. $95 for those alterations. Worth it. Jacket looks great now.

I viewed the cost of the tweed + hanger to be worth the $75, and I alter most of my RTW stuff anyway - don't you?

And for those mentioning a $10 thrift Harris Tweed jacket - those old jackets are usually worn in, outdated, and hard to find at thrift shops. This is new, with hanger, and relatively easy to find.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I thought so. In general the fit was just overall weird. Big shoulders, boxy body, and the coats were surprisingly short too. If it fit like a glove, I would have bought one, but IMO the way it fit me it wasn't going to be worth the time and money for tailoring.

They have S, R, L. If too long, get a regular or short. If too short, get a regular or long.

steveoly

Reaction score

I did. I got the quarters rounded, the shoulder pads removed and nip in the waist and chest. $95 for those alterations. Worth it. Jacket looks great now.

I viewed the cost of the tweed + hanger to be worth the $75, and I alter most of my RTW stuff anyway - don't you?

And for those mentioning a $10 thrift Harris Tweed jacket - those old jackets are usually worn in, outdated, and hard to find at thrift shops. This is new, with hanger, and relatively easy to find.

No belly aching here, just giving guys that don't have a chance to try them on in person a heads up that the fit OTR is...well...pretty bad. Yes, if one wants to invest quite a few bucks into alterations to get the entire jacket re-done, by all means go for it. But in this case it wasn't worth it for me. I do get all my OTR stuff tailored but usually the brands with which I am familiar don't need more than sleeves shortened, an occasional nip in the waist, or lowering of the collar. If it needed extensive reconstruction, I'd be questioning why I made the purchase in the first place.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$75 doesn't even cover the cost of the material via regular channels. I think by definition Harris tweed has to be home made and hand made. I've amazed that Walmart can make a margin from that. Someone on the supply chain has to be taking a loss.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No belly aching here, just giving guys that don't have a chance to try them on in person a heads up that the fit OTR is...well...pretty bad. Yes, if one wants to invest quite a few bucks into alterations to get the entire jacket re-done, by all means go for it. But in this case it wasn't worth it for me. I do get all my OTR stuff tailored but usually the brands with which I am familiar don't need more than sleeves shortened, an occasional nip in the waist, or lowering of the collar. If it needed extensive reconstruction, I'd be questioning why I made the purchase in the first place.

How much do you usually spend on alterations? I assume that sleeves shortened, nip waist +/- lowering the collar runs you about $70 / 80ish.
I usually get the sleeves shortened from the shoulder. This runs me about $75ish to $85.

$75 doesn't even cover the cost of the material via regular channels. I think by definition Harris tweed has to be home made and hand made. I've amazed that Walmart can make a margin from that. Someone on the supply chain has to be taking a loss.

This. $75 for the coat is less than the fabric cost (likely $300ish). and you get the wood hanger that is quite nice (worth another $5 to 10 bucks, or $25-30 depending on your usual source).

Walmart likely is making $. The loser is likely Brian Haggas (owner) of Harris Tweed. He made 75,000 of these jackets and they are not moving as well as he thought. I must say, they are pretty awesome all in under $200 (including alterations). These same jackets are for sale on the Harris Tweed website for several hundred pounds.

FillW

Reaction score
Slimming sleeves and body - not a problem but I am thinking the shoulder issue isn't as simple. IIRC shoulder divots could be a problem stemming from the armhole. In general I'm thinking YMMV with a should fix depending on skill and pricing of one's tailor.
This is true. But the wooden hangers are awesome.

I have to report that the shoulder fit is pretty bad. I even tried to go down from a 44R which fits good in other respects to a 40 R and the shoulders were still too wide.

I think it would depend on the tailor you took it to. I'll ask mine today if she can take the padding out but I think the shoulders would still be too wide.

Yep but I'm still on the fence cause the fabric is awesome and the hanger is the same. The length on the 44R was OK for me though.

We'll see...

BTW- the one I like is a kind of light brown and they also had a light grey and a light grey herringbone version.

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score

Can you post a pic of what yours looks like on you? I'll get one if I can get the shoulder problem looking OK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads