• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M Velvet Blazer - $99 - opinions?

Cyber0066

Reaction score
If you've seen my other thread, I got this black w/ brown pinstriped blazer that looked like an orphaned jacket from what I've been told on SF.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=23584

Saw this 3 button velvet black blazer today at H&M. The fit is pretty nice on me and is similar to the fit shown in the thread above and it's a good price. I'm just looking for a casual blazer to wear at a night out w/ jeans and a dress shirt/turtleneck/sweater underneath. Something I won't be afraid to get dirty. How's the quality of this H&M blazer?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
uh oh...
peepwall[1].gif
I refer you to: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=23697 Also, you may want to check out Target as they had some fairly nice velvet blazers for $60 last time I checked, if you aren't afraid of what it might do to your reputation
devil.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M quality is terrible. Stuff looks cool, but really only for a few wearings. I recently bought a suit there, and once it is due for its first dry-cleaning, I plan to donate it to Goodwill on the spot. Don't buy that until its marked down to $20 or so. Even then, the velvet blazer trend became passe almost a year ago.

Cyber0066

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
H&M quality is terrible. Stuff looks cool, but really only for a few wearings. I recently bought a suit there, and once it is due for its first dry-cleaning, I plan to donate it to Goodwill on the spot. Don't buy that until its marked down to $20 or so. Even then, the velvet blazer trend became passe almost a year ago.

Is it really terrible? I've seen threads saying H&M and Zara have decent quality stuff for the price.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think H&M quality is decent and the products they sell aren't intended to be long term staples. That said, I have a couple cotton sweaters (albeit purchased in Europe) that I have worn fairly frequently for the last 3 years.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
H&M stuff isnt *that* bad....I don't get all the stories of items falling apart after a few wears....I've had items I wore quite a bit that I bought 1+ years ago and they're doing ok.

the Target ones actually fit pretty well, and cost $59...worth a look if you want a cheap jacket

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a black M65 style jacket I bought in Europe in 2002 that I've worn probably once a week since I got it, sometimes much more, and it's in perfect condition, hardly even any loose threads.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Yeah, I have a black M65 style jacket I bought in Europe in 2002 that I've worn probably once a week since I got it, sometimes much more, and it's in perfect condition, hardly even any loose threads.

I didnt mean to suggest that it was all lousy junk. I, too have had items for many years (some grey jeans I bought in Berlin in maybe 2002... I'm psyched grey denim is so in), but the OPs question was about quality, and I stand by my gut when it says a H&M blazer is not worth $100.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M: not bad, just very variable. Low prices and constant product turnover means that few care.

Velvet blazers are kinda over. Plus, once you muss velvet, it is almost impossible to clean.

PreppyBoy

Reaction score
Back in 2004, the biggest issue (To me) about H&M Blazers in NYC

1. Sizes/fit are hit and miss

2. Didn't look rich enough (Material)

2. Everyone owned one

I ended up buying a Blazer at Banana Republic.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
H&M: not bad, just very variable. Low prices and constant product turnover means that few care.

Velvet blazers are kinda over. Plus, once you muss velvet, it is almost impossible to clean.

Velvet blazer in a basic color is always good look with jeans.
Personally if the garment fits well and of classic color it does not matter to me weather it is "In" item with a cool crowd or it's so over.
Make your wardrobe choices on a premise weather it's an elegant choice or not and ignore fashion trends.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Velvet blazer in a basic color is always good look with jeans. Personally if the garment fits well and of classic color it does not matter to me weather it is "In" item with a cool crowd or it's so over. Make your wardrobe choices on a premise weather it's an elegant choice or not and ignore fashion trends.
I agree that velvet will probably never be completely out, but I wouldn't pay $100 for one right now. Cyber, if you have something else you can wear to Xmas parties, then do what I did last year: pick up the velvet jacket on sale and wear on New Years.
smile.gif
I'd advise cotton. And mack's right, velvet's not the sort of thing you don't need to worry about getting dirty. 2 button would probably look better than 3...

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
I agree that velvet will probably never be completely out, but I wouldn't pay $100 for one right now. Cyber, if you have something else you can wear to Xmas parties, then do what I did last year: pick up the velvet jacket on sale and wear on New Years.
smile.gif

I'd advise cotton. And mack's right, velvet's not the sort of thing you don't need to worry about getting dirty. 2 button would probably look better than 3...

Macy's have velvet jackets on sale . I saw one online for $65.00 it was either CK or DKNY if you need to search for it.

mattjames

Reaction score
I generally dislike the velvet blazer look and always have, but the look is arguably not dead as velvet had a strong showing on the runway for this autumn/winter. Dolce & Gabbana have some very nice looking velvet blazers that I would only buy if I was rich enough to be able to afford every more practical item I wanted first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads