• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Appreciation Thread

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got the Italian basket weave trousers in...
I'm a normal 31, so I thought I'd be more than safe with their 32.
TIGHT. I'm going to dip the waist in water, put them on, do some power squats and hope for the best.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The factory these came out of sewed up EVERYTHING about a half size too small. I've now gotten 5 pairs from this last batch and they're all a bit too snug. Also notice that: they used the wrong colored patch, only 3 buttons in the button fly vs. 4, and the double belt loop across the back seam instead of the usual 1. I got an RMA number for 3 of mine but decided to eff it, I'll just keep them as I'm also losing weight to prep for an upcoming surgery. FTR, I got the basketweave, umber, and a linen? Also the sulphur black and the grandrelle (with a couple more in production). I haven't bought any pants in awhile and was looking to vary up the game a little. Maybe I went overboard.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side note: Almost backed the joggers but my gf gave me a hard no. :( On the other hand, I just realized that joggers (other than the drawstring waist) are basically the same silhouette we had back in high school with our tight rolled jeans. So I'm bringing back tight rolls. When the trend is fully passed, I can just not tight roll them and the pants are just fine. :D

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the basketweave you guys are referring to this one:

I took receipt of the #92 Monster Sashiko Dobby 5-pocket and the Twisted Yarn Fleece Sweatpants, but haven't had a chance to measure or take pics yet. The sashiko feels a little slimmer and might be too slim if hot washed. The sweatpants feel a little big. I think I missed they were a poly blend, so unlikely to shrink as much as cotton in the wash. Haven't had a chance to wear the latter yet, as it's still been pretty warm here. Today it's 90 F.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my "1st pair" of Gustin's technically my second but I ordered the wrong size on the 1st. The 2nd pair was a Memorial day mystery pair and ended up being the same thing as my first pair so.. yeah.

I guess I'll need to wash them a few times before I get them hemmed (7 inches too long now). Hoping there is little shrinkage or they won't fit either. I'm not the body shape or weight probably for these anymore.

I really like some of the colors/styles they have but can't see myself buying too many more at the prices, shipping, tailoring asked/needed.

The Greensboro pair I got just seem like regular button fly jeans. Being new to "not sure what this is called but jeans above Levi's or Land's End) I expected something different.

For now I'll probably just stick with my 541 Levi's or pick up Spier and Mackay.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my "1st pair" of Gustin's technically my second but I ordered the wrong size on the 1st. The 2nd pair was a Memorial day mystery pair and ended up being the same thing as my first pair so.. yeah.

I guess I'll need to wash them a few times before I get them hemmed (7 inches too long now). Hoping there is little shrinkage or they won't fit either. I'm not the body shape or weight probably for these anymore.

I really like some of the colors/styles they have but can't see myself buying too many more at the prices, shipping, tailoring asked/needed.

The Greensboro pair I got just seem like regular button fly jeans. Being new to "not sure what this is called but jeans above Levi's or Land's End) I expected something different.

For now I'll probably just stick with my 541 Levi's or pick up Spier and Mackay.
If you can't tell the difference immediately and you don't want to wait to see the patina of raw and/or selvedge jeans than they might not be for you, especially if you can't nail down the fit. It will be cheaper for you in the long run not diving into the rabbit hole on them.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't tell the difference immediately and you don't want to wait to see the patina of raw and/or selvedge jeans than they might not be for you, especially if you can't nail down the fit. It will be cheaper for you in the long run not diving into the rabbit hole on them.
Well I still have a mystery 5 pocket coming so we'll see. I plan on breaking in the pair I have and seeing if I change my mind, bought more as an experiment into selvedge (not sure I understand the difference truly). I do see the difference in some of the great colors/patterns offered but $160 jeans just aren't for me. I just want more than varying shades or blue and black.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I still have a mystery 5 pocket coming so we'll see. I plan on breaking in the pair I have and seeing if I change my mind, bought more as an experiment into selvedge (not sure I understand the difference truly). I do see the difference in some of the great colors/patterns offered but $160 jeans just aren't for me. I just want more than varying shades or blue and black.
Agreed. I also want more than varying shades of blue. Though I do like my blue postal ones.

Most of my other ones have some slub or differentiating characteristic to them, e.g., left-hand twill, super lightweight (7 oz.), otherwise I actually like their non-denim options better, but wish there were more non 5-pocket options.

andy b.

Reaction score
Agreed. I also want more than varying shades of blue. Though I do like my blue postal ones.

Most of my other ones have some slub or differentiating characteristic to them, e.g., left-hand twill, super lightweight (7 oz.), otherwise I actually like their non-denim options better, but wish there were more non 5-pocket options.
I email Gustin all the time telling them the same thing. Send them an email and let them know your thoughts.
Regarding "raw" and selvedge denim that Genericuser1 mentions, not all raw denim is selvedge. If you don't plan on cuffing it, and have no great desire to have the selvedge edge on half the seams, you can get non-selvedge raw denim for cheaper than selvedge.
Also, it has been my experience that most raw denim won't start showing any type of fading or special characteristics of raw denim until you wear it at least 50 days. That is just a general observation, but you probably won't notice anything special about raw denim if you wear it for a month and wash it every week.

RobotUser63

Reaction score

Greensboro were my first pair of raw denim too. Got them about a year and a half ago and worn them pretty much every seasonally appropriate day since. My inseam shrunk about an inch on first wash. Give them a shot though, I've fallen in love with them. Like you, I totally didn't see the appeal at first. It's kinda fun to see them age, and they have kind of started to form to my body and see where the most prominent fade spots are.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm wearing them in the evening and will wash them in a week or two. I want to have a couple of cold wash/line dry before I take them for hemming.

@RobotUser63 Did you get any dye transfer from the Greensboro?

RobotUser63

Reaction score
Right now I'm wearing them in the evening and will wash them in a week or two. I want to have a couple of cold wash/line dry before I take them for hemming.

@RobotUser63 Did you get any dye transfer from the Greensboro?
I would say I've only noticed minimal transfer. Mostly on my white Stan Smiths and my light grey hoodie but both wash off. I have a pretty light colored couch and can't notice any indigo. Here's a couple pics after probably 10 months of wear and probably around 7 or 8 washes. Like I said, I've really fallen in love with seeing the evolution of the color. Enjoy!
PXL_20211014_141911946.jpg
PXL_20211014_142035666.jpg

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Part of me wants to love that trio they've got up right now: Persimmon, Charcoal, Sea Indigo-Green but there's just... something off about each color that I don't know if I will like in person. I have the Persimmon Indigo chinos from a few years ago they did and I love them (the texture is fantastic).. The Charcoal just seems a little too.. faded? and the last I'm just not sure I like that particular shade. It's not like they're backing quickly so I have some time to decide.

On another note, got another two pair in and I got them hemmed before I tried them on (big mistake). They've been sewing up slimmer these last few batches, but, unsurprisingly, I lost about 15 pounds after adopting a "whole plant based diet" and they're all pretty good now. Except for these. I swear they're actually 33 or 34s because I can't even button the top button fly. WTF. Let's hope another 15 pounds will get me in them.

@RobotUser63 Oh man, you're in for a treat. My favorite part of breaking in denim is watching it go from pristine to MINE. I backed the Super Heavy Slub and can't wait to work on them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads