• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gustin Appreciation Thread

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only reason I tried Gustin because I was attracted to the olive and persimmon dyed denim (enabled by a few styleforum posts). Lessons learned are.
The denim and jeans are of very good quality but...
Be prepared to wait at least 2 months longer than advertised.
Do not put any faith in the "size guide"
Always size up (reverse vanity fit)
If Gustin recommends to size up, then size up twice.
I may be able to get the olive pair to work, the persimmon pair are going straight to eBay.
I agree turnaround times are longer than usual now, some of it because of COVID.

I think about 3 or 4 items out of 20(?) of mine were far enough out of spec that I have needed to make a return.

I think the way you measured it could have been a little more accurate if the front and back were aligned at the top and you used a flexible measuring tape. May not get you to the 39" you were looking for, but possibly would have gotten you closer to spec.

@Fueco's right that not all raw denim is unsanforized.

sid11111

Reaction score
Then contact Gustin. It’s not useful to bitch about them here. Those of us who have been buying from them for years don’t seem to be having the same problems as you.
Do you have stock in the company? Why are you white knighting here? Isn't the purpose of the forum to discuss? He's not said anything that wasn't factually correct.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have stock in the company? Why are you white knighting here? Isn't the purpose of the forum to discuss? He's not said anything that wasn't factually correct.
Yes he did. Read my ducking response before you respond.

I love that you think I’m white knighting just because I called out the tone of this tool’s post.

sid11111

Reaction score
Yes he did. Read my ducking response before you respond.

I love that you think I’m white knighting just because I called out the tone of this tool’s post.
Sorry must've been distracted by all that quacking.

xghostsniperx

Reaction score
Feels like Gustin could solve this issue just by posting pre-soak and post-soak measurements instead of trying to have the customer guess.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
#139 PERSIMMON ORGANIC HEMP
#159 JAPAN OLIVE
Don't mean to be condescending but they both are raw denim which I assume to be unsanforized. So the size guide should have a disclaimer....."these are the measurements after you stretch the shit out of them" These are both size 38 so why do they have different measurements? My other raw denim comes in very big and shrinks after washing, these come in small and will get smaller.
"I assume you've bought jeans before;" now that's funny......:-D

View attachment 1601373
Raw finish isn't raw denim.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feels like Gustin could solve this issue just by posting pre-soak and post-soak measurements instead of trying to have the customer guess.
results will still vary, let's keep in mind this is a smaller company that hasn't been around as long as lets say Levi's so variation is to be expected.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There will always be variances with denim, even among reputable brands. But yes, Gustin’s refund policy sucks. I remember years ago ordering one of their denim trucker jackets that was supposed to have tonal stitching and they sent me one with contrast stitching. Their solution: I send the jacket back and exchange it for something of equal value, so I ended up with one of their waxed canvas duffel bags. I haven’t ordered from them since (which was 6 yrs ago).

jamie411

Reaction score
results will still vary, let's keep in mind this is a smaller company that hasn't been around as long as lets say Levi's so variation is to be expected.
They've been around for a decade - plenty of time to work through the issues that have cropped up since their Kickstarter days.

I’ve had plenty of sizing and other quality control issues with them over the years, and not just with their jeans. Enough so that I haven’t bought from them in a while. I expect a smaller, niche clothing company to have BETTER quality control than a large corporation like Levis, not worse.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crocking:
I recently received the Gustin Italian Indigo x Indigo jeans. They have a very deeply saturated indigo color. I noticed some crocking from the first wear. The indigo dye transferred to the t-shirt that I had tucked into my jeans. (I did not notice any crocking on the flannel shirt that I was wearing untucked.)

I haven’t experienced this with any of my other pairs. How can I prevent future crocking? Do I need to soak or wash these jeans? Cold, warm, or hot water?

Thanks.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of jean's that I guess fall into the category of over dyed, and they have been through the wash machine once, I've owned them a little over a year and i still get crocking or transfer onto lighter color shoes/shirts.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crocking:
I recently received the Gustin Italian Indigo x Indigo jeans. They have a very deeply saturated indigo color. I noticed some crocking from the first wear. The indigo dye transferred to the t-shirt that I had tucked into my jeans. (I did not notice any crocking on the flannel shirt that I was wearing untucked.)

I haven’t experienced this with any of my other pairs. How can I prevent future crocking? Do I need to soak or wash these jeans? Cold, warm, or hot water?

Thanks.
I'm not sure how to prevent future crocking outside of continuously washing/soaking/wearing. I have a pair of Taylor Stitch overdyed denim that I bought off of Fleabay yrs ago and those crock like nobodies business, so I don't wear them.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.